Pit Bull shot while attacking lab

This is a discussion on Pit Bull shot while attacking lab within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cedar Rapids Gazette The first reported case 'round these parts of a concealed carry permit holder using his weapon, training (or lack thereof?), stopping a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pit Bull shot while attacking lab

Cedar Rapids Gazette

The first reported case 'round these parts of a concealed carry permit holder using his weapon, training (or lack thereof?), stopping a potentially deadly attack.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    I've deleted six posts already from this thread. Its not about the dog breed, its about somebody who stopped a dog attacking another with their gun. Discuss that. Nobody cares about your opinion on pit bulls. The lame arguments back and forth are tiresome and just that... lame. Go to a pit bull forum if that is what you want to do, this is not the place.
    Kerby and garyacman like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    That is not legal in Michigan. Here the law considers a dog property and you can not shoot to defend property. Sounds like their laws are better then ours in this instance.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    That is not legal in Michigan. Here the law considers a dog property and you can not shoot to defend property. Sounds like their laws are better then ours in this instance.
    Same in OH. You had better be able to articulate why you were in fear of life and limb (not the dog's) to justify your actions.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Thanks Sixto

OD*
    My thanks also, Sixto.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Wow; I think it would be a real fear that in a dog attack (scary all by its self) once your dog was dispatched (trying to protect you) that you indeed would be next... I think it would be a real fear and justify defending yourself... Just a thought..

On another note; as someone who has had large and agressive breeds of dog for years (with no problems) Dog ownership and responsibility is as impprtant as gun ownership. It should not be taken lightly.. You know if your dog is friendly or not and should control it as necessary.

You can shoot PROPERTY for trying to kill property, Especialy on your Property ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    You can shoot PROPERTY for trying to kill property, Especialy on your Property ; )
    H/D
    Good one:

Guns do not kill property; property kills poperty.......

Why do people keep thinking to shoot being in the skull?!

That rarely works, as is very often reported as with this case here.

Heart, lungs and spinal column (CNS) folks.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I just recently lost my property/dog by the hand of another (groomer) and it isn’t easy to cancel out the personal emotions of a living thing’ vs. a mailbox. Nevertheless, I doubt I would have any trouble articulating my ‘fear for life’ in a similar situation.
    Kerby likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    "Property Schmoperty"! An attacking dog is a likely threat to anyone & everyone in the immediate vicinity simply by breaking off & re-directing it's attack elsewhere in an instant. The man walking his dog that was attacked also had his daughter with him. The shooter in this instance was not an owner of either dog, but rather a 3rd party that heard & responded to the attack, quite appropriately I might add. IMHO.

If the scenario was such that it was the owner of the dog being attacked that was also the armed CCW'er and shooter, it would still be a justifiable shoot due to the emminent threat to his daughter and himself.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

The article in the paper today (as opposed to the on line piece linked above) had a little more information: The attacking dog jumped out of a car window before the caretaker was able to leash the dog. The attacking dog circled around those walking the victimized dog and those walking the victimized dog did not know if they were going to be attacked or not. The attacking dog chose to attack the victimized dog.
    Several people tried to prize the two canines apart with no success. All of those people were at risk of great bodily injury (to address the "property attacking property" crowd).

After the attacking dog was shot, someone with an ice pick(?) was able to get the attacking dog into an apartment, and then into a fenced back yard to await animal control, who put the shot (attacking) dog down by lethal injection.

Please note.. no mention was made of any breed in my update on the article... and boy, that's hard to do...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The story has a happy ending. The innocent dog is ok and the attack dog was killed.

The shooter did good and animal control did the right thing. That vicious dog will never attack again.
    Frogbones likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links