How would you have handled this carjacking? - Page 2

How would you have handled this carjacking?

This is a discussion on How would you have handled this carjacking? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; +1 on alll who understand the vehicle you are driving is by for the best weapon you have at hand!!! and you do not need ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How would you have handled this carjacking?

+1 on alll who understand the vehicle you are driving is by for the best weapon you have at hand!!! and you do not need to draw it.

STEP ONE make adjustments to point at targett
    STEP TWO apply large amount of gas
    STEP THREE repeat is possible
    STEP FOUR call 911 to recover bodies and dropped pistols

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Getting away from the threat would be what I would try to do. I guess it depends on the car you are driving too. If you have a small car and you try ramming a truck you could disable your car putting you in more danger. If I were in my Grand Marquis which is a good battering ram I would say sure just shove them out of my way. It's a big car with lots of power but quick turning around isn't an option in it. In a small car quick reverse and turn around would be best. IMO

could never happen to me, 1. couldn't pay me to drive a mustang 2. couldn't pay me to live in Kalifornia.......seriously id say reverse and the hammer down

TVJ
    So my wife is in the car next to me. We are lost so driving speed limit, maybe slower to figure out where we need to go, with mind very focused on getting un-lost.

Car tailgates.

I assume they just want to get by but tailgating is a yellow concern.

They accelerate by on left so I assume we drive too slow.

Then they jam on brakes causing me to jam on brakes. What the F's going on?

BG is now right out of car coming at us as I just figure out I want to get away.

I have to put car in reverse (automatic) which takes about one second if I engage it under no stress.

He is already on me and my wife with gun out. I am still concealed. He is on my wife's side. I WANT TO AVOID HER GETTING SHOT SINCE HE IS RIGHT THERE

Tactically, car jackings and this situation really suck tactically.

Do what ya gotta do but here are some of my issues.

Run over him, wife potentially gets shot since he is on that side and I get closer to him by driving through/near him.

Backing up takes time to put in gear. If i hesitate at all trying to figure out this situation then decide to reverse, I risk my wife getting shot unless I am right on top of whats happening. I still need a second for my auto transmission to engage reverse. This assumes I find it immediately given the stress of what just happened. The situation is that I am lost trying to figure out where to go. So where is my head tactically/defensively as this unfolds? Maybe Im ready. But I feel that may be a big assumption for me to make. Note also that I only think of my wife right now...BG may shoot me/her/both. I have no clue but assume worst.

So I take and figure out the tactics of the other side.

I likely give him the car at this point, do what he says, feign compliance and fear. I understand compliance risk. I accept they/he got the drop. I cannot live with myself if I fight at this stage and he shoots my wife. That feeling is way worse than my distaste of compliance. (If he shoots her at this stage, I go to gun with total focus on his immediate cessation. But this is not what happened in Vallejo.)

I just ran my sidearm response in my garage with our car and my unloaded Glock. My tactical shots come from behind the B-pillar/drivers side rear passenger window. After he gets in the car and I hear the door shut: Appendix draw, kneeling on one knee, point index, multiple rounds to the head/body...followed up by suppressive fire to the BG car, through the rear windshield/behind their B pillar, drivers side.

To me, given the BGs got the drop, this is the least risk tactic choosing to use my sidearm (outside of no shooting by me at all since the people in the real story survive physically unharmed). The behind the Bpillar shot gives all kinds of options, head, body if he leans down, both. He faces forward, has to pick his gun back up, turn around in the seat, reach his right arm out the window, look for me and/or just start shooting.

The Carjacker just put himself into the same terrible tactical situation I was just in. I intend to use that efficiently.

This is a really tough scenario because of the speedy ambush, where my head was just before (getting un-lost), wife in the car and her potential to catch rounds if I start shooting at the guy, driving him over, jamming in reverse and driving away.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

If I become lost at 2 AM, my alert level just doubled, so I am not star gazing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I would say go around the car if possible and then if they try to peruse. Well find out what your new mustang can do. also, my driver’s license amounts to an over glorified liquor license most days so please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn’t taping their car away from the engine where it is lighter allow you to push it out of the way if there was not enough space to go around?

rev/pedal to metal i don't think the nissan can keep up with my zo6 vette
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Duh, it's california, land of Unicorn milk & Rainbows......just ask him nicely to not hurt you.

<obvious sarc>
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links