Fort Hood shooter still gets a check!

This is a discussion on Fort Hood shooter still gets a check! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Major Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood killer) STILL GETS PAID!!!!! (He is having trouble finding a bank to cash his checks.) This is unbelievable that this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fort Hood shooter still gets a check!

Fort Hood shooter still gets a check!

Major Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood killer) STILL GETS PAID!!!!! (He is having trouble finding a bank to cash his checks.)

This is unbelievable that this is allowed to happen. That's bad enough but the money($54,000 so far) goes to the Lawyer to help defend this killer.

The Lawyer, Galligan, "expressed worry that his client will not “get a fair trail at Ft. Hood if he can’t even get a bank account….”

"According to an army spokesman, service members continue to receive their pay packets while imprisoned, until an ultimate determination is made of their duty status as a result of a trial on the merits of the case against them. “He is a major in the United States Army and will therefore be paid until he is no longer a major,” explained Lt. Col. Chris Garver."

Ft. Hood Shooter Still Receiving Pay from the Army
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Innocent until proven guilty holds in all cases. I would hate to have my pay cut because of an accusation, and I figure I'm not alone in that regard. Yes, we all KNOW he's guilty, but he hasn't been found so by a jury, and he IS a Major in the Army. I have no problem with him getting paid unless and until he is convicted in a Court Martial and stripped of his rank/ordered to forfeit all pay and allowances.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Although we all know he is guilty that is the law. Until he is tried and convicted we the taxpayers will continue to pay him. Hopefully his shy… err I mean lawyers will stop the endless delaying tactics and allow him to be brought to trial, be convicted and hopefully receive the death penalty.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Great system, eh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    What OPFOR said. He's still an O-3 in the Army till a court says different.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Kind of makes you want to scream for that speedy trial (6A). Of course that is the right of the defendant, not the state. The defense lawyer is probably dragging this out to get more funds for himself.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Kind of makes you want to scream for that speedy trial (6A). Of course that is the right of the defendant, not the state. The defense lawyer is probably dragging this out to get more funds for himself.
    He has a civilian lawyer?

Yah retsupt, it's a great system. Built on the premise it is better 100 guilty men go free rather than one innocent man be prosecuted. Is it perfect? Heck no, but I'd rather deal w/this system than say France's....
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Due process is one of the things that separates us from the barbarians of the world.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I agree our system is not perfect, but it sure beats what is used in most of the world.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I'll be the dissenter and suggest that he is guilty, even though he has not been processed by our lame system of justice (lack thereof).

We are encumbered with institutions that are brainlessly obsessed with the letter of the law, vs. the intention of the law. I rarely see any intelligence applied to interpretation.

I don't agree that he should be getting his pay. If it was a Police officer he would be suspended without pay. Any private company would have terminated the person immediately. I am surprised at conservatives who think anything the military does is justified. The military is the most liberal when it comes to tax payer dollars. They just spend and spend and spend even if they get nothing for the money spent.

I agree with this poster...

"It has been established that he did the deed. At the very least his pay should be suspended untill final outcome of a trial. In a case where the crime was not prima facia, one could see the sense in continuing pay. This jerk is getting medical attention, three squares a day and very probably a better level of care than many of the people he shot."
    enk5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    ... If it was a Police officer he would be suspended without pay...
    Around here, the standard seems to be that they are put on PAID administrative leave.
    I agree with this poster...

"It has been established that he did the deed. At the very least his pay should be suspended untill final outcome of a trial. In a case where the crime was not prima facia, one could see the sense in continuing pay. This jerk is getting medical attention, three squares a day and very probably a better level of care than many of the people he shot."
    In a case like this, I could argue that the pay should be put into an escrow account. If he is found innocent, he gets it. If not, he doesn't.
    ArPacker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Around here, the standard seems to be that they are put on PAID administrative leave.

In a case like this, I could argue that the pay should be put into an escrow account. If he is found innocent, he gets it. If not, he doesn't.
    It is his property, whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    It is his property, whether you like it or not.
    So... if the lawyers drag the trial out for years he is entitled to years and years of pay and he gets to keep it even if found guilty?

The "property" you speak of is our property being given to him for NO service. It's American tax dollars being given to a guy sitting in a cell who killed American soldiers. We SHOULD be paying soldiers for their service not just giving money because 'that's the way it is'. We are just giving him money for nothing. It should be held in escrow and he only gets it if found innocent.
    Bkrazy and ArPacker like this.

So... if the lawyers drag the trial out for years he is entitled to years and years of pay and he gets to keep it even if found guilty?

The "property" you speak of is our property being given to him for NO service. It's American tax dollars being given to a guy sitting in a cell who killed American soldiers. We SHOULD be paying soldiers for their service not just giving money because 'that's the way it is'. We are just giving him money for nothing. It should be held in escrow and he only gets it if found innocent.
    It is absolutely not our property. He has a contract with the military. The rules are spelled out in the contract and they include payment while he does his time. Change the rules, but you're never going to successfully argue that his paycheck is not his property.

I do not know what latitude the judge has in these circumstances.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links