NYC Subway Hero Says Police Initially Left Him to Fend for Himself Against Killer

NYC Subway Hero Says Police Initially Left Him to Fend for Himself Against Killer

This is a discussion on NYC Subway Hero Says Police Initially Left Him to Fend for Himself Against Killer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Utterly despicable and cowardly if true. And these are the folks the anti-gunners want everybody to put their safety in the hands of? NYC Subway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: NYC Subway Hero Says Police Initially Left Him to Fend for Himself Against Killer

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

Utterly despicable and cowardly if true. And these are the folks the anti-gunners want everybody to put their safety in the hands of?

NYC Subway Hero Says Police Initially Left Him to Fend for Himself Against Killer - FoxNews.com

New evidence shows two police officers who were aboard the subway car where the attack occurred locked themselves into the safe confines of the conductor’s cabin because they thought the suspect, Maxsim Gelman, was reaching for a gun as he approached Joseph Lozito, Edmond Chakmakian, Lozito’s attorney, said.

...a grand jury member told Lozito that jurors were appalled when they heard a police officer's version of the story...

“The juror said cops locked themselves inside because they thought Gelman was going to pull out a gun,” Chakmakian said. “What were the police officers waiting for, an engraved invitation?”
    azchevy and SARR001 like this.

cowards who enforce a total no weapon policy for civilians

"Flics" the French equivalent of "cops".

Well maybe not... and the police version of the occurence is somewhat different according to the article.

That said, and this isn't directed at most cops (especially those here), they are not required (by SCOTUS opinion) to protect individuals from criminal attack.

As a result, the victim/hero's lawsuit won't get far, I'm afraid. Lawyer will get some money or notoriety from it, maybe.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Well maybe not... and the police version of the occurence is somewhat different according to the article.

That said, and this isn't directed at most cops (especially those here), they are not required (by SCOTUS opinion) to protect individuals from criminal attack.

As a result, the victim/hero's lawsuit won't get far, I'm afraid. Lawyer will get some money or notoriety from it, maybe.
    However city policy forbids the citizens from carrying weapons to defend themselves.... I hope this opens a whole can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    cowards who enforce a total no weapon policy for civilians
    That's what angers me the most.

If a person has a fear of death or injury, then go find another career. Like maybe be the slurpee guy at 7-11 on the day shift.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

They can be fired for cowardice. I hope that happens at a minimum.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I would guess unarmed officers who have strict orders not to engage armed suspects.

Unarmed police... lol... gets me every time.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

If they failed to act they are cowards.

A cop without a gun is about as useful as a prostitute without a prophylactic.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

A cop without a gun is about as useful as a prostitute without a prophylactic.
    +1 Absolutely. That said I know for a fact that all sworn NYC Transit Cops are armed. My question is were these sworn LEO's ? If they were and the story given by the citizen is factual they are lower than whale crap.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Transit police are armed. And, there are two different versions of the story here.

They may have been in a very poor situation in which they could not shoot due to the ongoing H2H fight, or felt they could not shoot. OTOH, from news stories, it sure doesn't seem like LEOs are shy about using their taser or baton.

The interior of a NYC subway car is a bit more complicated a situation to fight in than may be apparent to folks who have not been in them. Sometimes the seats are arranged in ways that make them barriers as too the vertical poles folk hang onto. The presence of other passengers adds to the complexity.

Given the situation, the dire situation, time has a way of going in slow motion and the injured fellow's assertions that the fight went on for several minutes may or may not be real.

All of that said, if they hid in the cab and let the defender fend for himself, and if we are talking about armed transit cops, they sure did embarrass themselves and the service they are employed by.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

A cop without a gun is about as useful as a prostitute with a locked chastity belt and no key.
    Guantes - I fixed it for you :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

They can be fired for cowardice.
    When was the last time a cop was fired for cowardice.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Looks as if it is up to you to take care of any problem you may have even if the cops are only 5 feet away. They are only there to take names and write reports.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Probably get a diaper change and set back out to observe and report,I hope his lawsuit not only goes against the Cops,but also against the city stating that if the Cops are too cowardly to protect citisens and have no duty to protect,then the Citys policy denying him the ability to legally carry a means to protect himself denies him the basic human right of self preservation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I shamelessly profile. Let me see some photos of the cops involved.

I can remember once in the early 80s a female NYC transit cop walking by on the 14th Street station at around 0030 hours. About 4'11" and 95 pounds. There were people openly laughing at her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links