Intruder Shot by Homeowner Was Carrying Toy Gun

This is a discussion on Intruder Shot by Homeowner Was Carrying Toy Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Intruder Shot By Homeowner Was Carrying Toy Gun: Gothamist After being woken by loud noises in his Mill Basin, Brooklyn home around 2 a.m. yesterday ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Intruder Shot by Homeowner Was Carrying Toy Gun

Intruder Shot By Homeowner Was Carrying Toy Gun: Gothamist

After being woken by loud noises in his Mill Basin, Brooklyn home around 2 a.m. yesterday morning, 62-year-old Larry Goldstein took his .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver to investigate what was happening. He discovered two intruders in his kitchen, and since they appeared to be armed, Goldstein fired, hitting one of the men three times while the other fled. And it turned out the intruders were carrying a toy pistol and toy machine gun.

I love this part.
    A police official told the Wall Street Journal the toys "were very realistic looking... If someone pointed them at you, you would light them up too."

Of course his Momma comes to his defense!

Alexander Maginat, 30, was hit twice in the chest and once in the arm. Maginat, who is at Brookdale Hospital, had eight prior arrests and was charged with robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and possession of burglar's tools. However his mother, a former auxiliary cop, told the Daily News that her son couldn't possibly be a burglar, "My son knows better than that."

Looks like some people are learning!

Goldstein's neighbors were relieved: One told the Post, "As a person who's been an opponent of gun ownership, I'm glad he had one now."

Looks like the Boy survived being shot by a 38 at close range.
    Time to visit the Gun Store!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Too bad these home 'invaders'/robbers will live to rob again.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most of them look real enough, I'd have fed him some lead too. Not to turn this into a caliber debate but, time to rethink .38 and get a .45 ?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Considering it's New York, I think he was fortunate to even have a weapon.

The 38 vs 45 debate isn't really important, as it's the shooter, coupled with their mindset and tactics that are more important that caliber, bullet type, and various other minute details.

Biker
    glockman10mm and Freedom Doc like this.

With all theses criminals turning their life around, I'm surprised there's any crime at all.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Considering it's New York, I think he was fortunate to even have a weapon.

The 38 vs 45 debate isn't really important, as it's the shooter, coupled with their mindset and tactics that are more important that caliber, bullet type, and various other minute details.

Biker
    I agree; glad he had a firearm at all
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Most of them look real enough, I'd have fed him some lead too. Not to turn this into a caliber debate but, time to rethink .38 and get a .45 ?
    Yeah, I caught that too. As it turns out, I was considering to commission another custom .45 carry. The last one I did I sold it like a complete idiot!!! Now I have the grand opportunity to it all over again.
    Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Maybe he just needs better ammo. If we are changing from a 38 to a 45 why not add an 18 - 20 inch barrel 12 gauge shotgun. Might as well make one trip to the gunshop instead of two.

VIP Member

^^^^^^^^Not to seem prejudiced^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Against.38 or .45, but I was thinking more along the lines of 12 ga., 7-9 rounds, or 9mm with hi-cap mags.(15+)

That would have maybe gotten both of their attentions alot sooner.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Glad this guy had a gun and used it. about the .38--well, have you seen the thread on the Pageant Princess? She used a .38 and the perp died, in the house. Maybe this guy was using RN ammo and the Beauty Queen was using HP's?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I would think you guys would realize by now that caliber really isn't the issue. People have died from every caliber. People have been shot with .45's and lived. He ended the threat and that's all that matters.

Caliber really doesn't matter, he could have been using a BB gun for all that matters, the fact is the home owner was armed, and used the weapon in defense of his home against potentially armed and dangerous intruders.

Basically, he stopped the threat of the home invasion and protected his family from harm. Isn't that what this is all about? I'm glad the homeowner took the initive to do what he did.
    BigFish likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    As far as caliber, if we bought a bigger gun everytime someone walked away after being hit with such and such round we would be carrying anti-aircraft guns. And most likely somewhere someone has walked away after being hit with one of them.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I think the good news here is, the home owner's gun wasn't a toy.

PC
    drkangl6 likes this.

Yep, perp brought a plastic gun to a gun fight; worst case of attempted suicide i've ever heard of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links