I spent the week in D C being interviewed for a documentary

This is a discussion on I spent the week in D C being interviewed for a documentary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Spent 4 days being interviewed and filmed. I'll share pics when get over the jet lag. We started by evening and morning interviews. I had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I spent the week in D C being interviewed for a documentary

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Spent 4 days being interviewed and filmed. I'll share pics when get over the jet lag. We started by evening and morning interviews. I had already shown my DD 214 and many pics, 4 of my officers had been interviewed and filmed and they verified the things I had seen and done. None of them were interviewed for onger than a half day, all were West Point Grads. All were folks I had much respect for.
    The second day went to Arlington where I was filmed moving from the grave of a close friend to the Kennedy grave and memorial. the 5 person film crew was assisted by the Cemetary personnel in setting up and handling the crowds. People there watching were amazing as they were told that one of the 88 American soldiers who had faced in excess of 1500 Russians for 16 hours during the closest direct American Russian confrontation in 1961 was there. The Germans did take one, two, three, from every angle they could and people applauded me each time. We are talking hundreds of people helping me out. When 5 hours of filming was done in one day the PAO asked me if I would stay and talk to tourists about the incident. I said yes and 5 bus loads of people showed up. I spoke to all, people from many different lands mixed with Americans from every where.
    The next day in the National Archives building, all day, filming me watching and commenting of original film from the event.
    The last day in a studio with a narrator going over each incident in very detailed and graphic explanation.
    whew.
    kazzaerexys, MamaBear and tcon67 like this.

What's the documentary?

Outstanding!

Keep us posted on how the project progresses. Sounds like a project of historical significance! (And I would like an autographed DVD if they are ever available!)

Great job buddy. Bravo Zulu.
    oneshot likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

threefeathers, even without knowing the exact nature of the documentary I applaud you for commitment to the project and your willingness to enlighten the curious. Do post back with the particulars (what should we expect to see, and when?)!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good job.... those who were there at certain events, can bring it home to people it was , and is, real. Let us know the progress... would love to see it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hi, AZNAV and bikerRN on this site are familiar with the project.
    I was one of 88 American soldiers who stood toe to toe with about 1500 Russians at Checkpoint Charlie on October 27th 1961. They told us they were coming and Colonel Wayne Winder told then to come ahead. We were ready to die in place and after 16 hours Khruchev backed down. We were under the direct orders of JFK and Gen Clay.

Holy cats... threefeathers, I was all of 11 at the time but I remember that situation well. It's impressive to hear from someone who was actually there.

Small, remotely related point - Lucius Clay had property on Cape Cod (MA) in the same town as my family. He would fly into the Chatham airport on Friday nights in a twin turboprop Grumman Gulfstream, and head out Sunday afternoons. That was a big airplane for that little strip, and the sound of that plane was unmistakeable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Everybody heard about the Cuban Missile crisis,and in 1961 I was 4 years old and my dad was either a Ssgt or Tsgt in the USAF,I never heard about the standoff at Checkpoint Charlie.Something tells me if the Russians had attacked ,the world would look a lot different today
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds like a wonderful project, and do keep us posted on it.

Had I known you were in my neighborhood, I'd've bought you lunch (and a libation of your choice ).

Commitment, discipline, courage, honor...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I was one of 88 American soldiers who stood toe to toe with about 1500 Russians at Checkpoint Charlie on October 27th 1961. They told us they were coming and Colonel Wayne Winder told then to come ahead. We were ready to die in place and after 16 hours Khruchev backed down. We were under the direct orders of JFK and Gen Clay.
    Thank you for your service, for being there, and not backing down. BZ!

I remember that well. It happened while I was in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. Sure glad Khruchev backed down! Those were crazy times, Berlin wall going up and Vietnam "police action" happening at the same time (Vietnam blossomed into a major conflict just as I was discharged in '64). The construction of the Berlin Wall in August and serious disenchantment with college (I got my electrical engineering degree later) is what had me enlisting in September. I, and a lot of others, thought we were going to have to go over there and push them back.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Checkpoint Charlie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I vaguely remember the "Checkpoint Charlie" but I had to look it up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Here is a pic of the T V crew loading a van with equipment as we headed to a site.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    MAN!!! You are a GREAT AMERICAN my friend!

Thank you for your service; AND not letting others forget what makes this nation GREAT!

oneshot and joker1 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links