And thus it begins: BGs do wear body armor as in this local tragedy...

This is a discussion on And thus it begins: BGs do wear body armor as in this local tragedy... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got this email from a good friend and former neighbor. Pretty well speaks for itself. "Most of you know that our son-in-law, Mark ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: And thus it begins: BGs do wear body armor as in this local tragedy...

Senior Moderator

And thus it begins: BGs do wear body armor as in this local tragedy...

I just got this email from a good friend and former neighbor. Pretty well speaks for itself.

"Most of you know that our son-in-law, Mark Bender, is an officer with the Chattanooga Police Department. This morning when he arrived on the scene of a robbery call, he and other officers became involved in a gun battle with the suspect. Despite multiple officers firing full magazines of bullets, the robber was not stopped easily as he was wearing personal body armor. Eventually, the officers were able to bring the suspect down by shooting him multiple times in non-protected areas of his body. In addition to the body armor, the suspect was carrying two Glock pistols with high-capacity magazines. At this writing, as far as we know, the suspect is still alive at a local hospital.

That was not the case for Mark’s sergeant who was killed at the scene. Mark arrived at the scene and saw his sergeant killed. Another officer was shot in the back as he attempted to return to his police car to get a high-power rifle to deal with the suspect. Fortunately, the officer’s own body arm stopped the bullet and saved his life. While we are privy to additional information, we feel it inappropriate to say more until it is officially released by the police department.

We note also that it could have been even worse as there was a yard sale going only a short distance away from the path of the fleeing suspect. Had it not been for the officers who chased him down, the fleeing suspect could have chosen to take hostages or worse. Initial information has identified the suspect as an escaped convict from Colorado although that has not been fully confirmed yet."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm afraid that the days of leo's only having handguns are waning. Very tough situation for the officers though they handled what they were confronted with.

Several years ago, those two guys robbing the bank in California came prepared and dealt misery to an initially undergunned police response. IIRC the only two fatalities, were the two BG's, though I think one actually killed himself.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Prayers for the slain officer, his family and his co-workers. BG just needs to die! LEO's need to be armed with assault rifles so they can at least have parity with the BG's.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I hope the SOB dies.

I]

^^^^ I agree!^^^^^^^^

RIP Officer Mark Bender's Sargent.

May the Lord heal the officer shot in the back.

May the knuckledragger rot in H.E. Double Hockey Sticks, FOREVEERRRRRRR!!!!

"The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf ”

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of
    brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

RIP Brother.

While not that frequent, the use of body armor by BGs dates back to the 1800s.

Eventually, Patrol Rifles will become routine everywhere.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

And while we are on the subject, gun carriers might want to consider buying their own armor where it is legal to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    And while we are on the subject, gun carriers might want to consider buying their own armor where it is legal to do so.
    - More power to anyone that wants to do that, but I can't see myself wearing body armor unless Hanes starts making ballistic T-shirts.
    JOHNSMITH and morintp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    RIP Brother.

While not that frequent, the use of body armor by BGs dates back to the 1800s.

Eventually, Patrol Rifles will become routine everywhere.
    Agree. America needs to see patrol rifles more often so they can get a warm and fuzzy feeling from them.

I envision two man cars on the return; with the cover officer slinging the black for the whole shift.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Chattanooga armed robbery shootout update.

Update on Chattanooga shootout.

4/2/2011 - Police Sergeant Killed In Running Gunbattle After Responding To Robbery In Brainerd; 2nd Officer Hit - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Bad guy is reportedly in coma as of 6PM EST. BG had on a kevlar vest. He is an escaped fugitive from Colorado.

Sad day for CPD and their families.

VIP Member
    Prayers for the family of the seargent.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Mozambique drill. If you shoot him in the chest and he doesn't go down, you need to aim for the head.

When I go to the range, it's 2-3 to the chest, 1-2 to the head. Over and over and over again.

Officers need to be trained in this drill.

RIP Sergeant.
    Harryball and hienykins like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

God be with Sgt. Chapin and his family. God be with Officer Johnston in his recovery. I work with Officer Bender on Delta Team, and he is a fine officer, and a fine detective. I love all of my brothers and sisters in blue. This is a disgusting tragedy, but one that brings us closer on such a deep level. Anything that you or anyone else needs, im right there.

We will all miss Sgt. Chapin. God bless him and his family.

Officer Andrew Peker #753
    Delta Team, 2nd shift

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Mozambique drill. If you shoot him in the chest and he doesn't go down, you need to aim for the head.

When I go to the range, it's 2-3 to the chest, 1-2 to the head. Over and over and over again.

Officers need to be trained in this drill.

RIP Sergeant.
    I agree,but sometimes distance and suspects cover and Officers adrenaline can make it hard to hit a head shot,that's when a long gun can make a huge difference
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mozambique him, Mozambique him,
    If he fails to hit the ground
    After two well-placed rounds!
    Shoot between the eyes and lips,
    No, NOT between the hips,
    That should put the goblin down!
    RIP

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Practice Mozambique's.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links