Good: Homeowner shoots and kills one intruder in Tacoma

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowner shoots and kills one intruder in Tacoma within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Original article TACOMA, Wash. -- A man was killed in what police said was either a burglary or home invasion in Tacoma on Monday afternoon. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Good: Homeowner shoots and kills one intruder in Tacoma

Original article

TACOMA, Wash. -- A man was killed in what police said was either a burglary or home invasion in Tacoma on Monday afternoon.

Tacoma police said two people broke into a house in the 3800 block of East J Street.

The homeowner said he saw the two people, heard glass breaking and then hid in a bedroom, police said.

Officers said when someone tried to enter the bedroom, the homeowner fired several shots through the bedroom door, killing one intruder.

Officers said they and a K-9 were able to track the other intruder and took that person into custody.

Thats why they call it Tacompton. Good thing the home owner was able to defend himself, no telling what would have happened if he wasn't armed

He backed up as far as he could, that's all the chance you can give the BG's.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Officers said they and a K-9 were able to track the other intruder and took that person into custody.
    Dog musta followed the scent from the guy crapping his drawers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ugh I am only like 65 miles from Tacoma but I did do some growing up around there and the surrounding area. Tacoma has never been a good place. They are dressing it up now to make it feel a lot more developed but I still get the heebie jeebies when I have to take a bus through that area. Not to mention the "Aroma of Tacoma" will forever be engraved upon my senses. For those of you that don't know Tacoma used to have an old pulp mill back in the day that smell got into EVERYTHING in the entire city. you still smell it sometimes.....damn Tacoma...
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage206 View Post
    ugh I am only like 65 miles from Tacoma but I did do some growing up around there and the surrounding area. Tacoma has never been a good place. They are dressing it up now to make it feel a lot more developed but I still get the heebie jeebies when I have to take a bus through that area. Not to mention the "Aroma of Tacoma" will forever be engraved upon my senses. For those of you that don't know Tacoma used to have an old pulp mill back in the day that smell got into EVERYTHING in the entire city. you still smell it sometimes.....damn Tacoma...
    Yeah, and I live in Puyallup btw (which is a really nice city, despite it's proximity). Bums and gangbangers from Tacoma will actually come here to mug people and burglarize places; you don't have to worry about that 65 miles away. It was being in Tacoma completely unarmed that initially sparked my desire to carry.

Oh, and it still stinks there, haha. Especially at night.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Shot through the door". Ugh. Worked out this time, but.

VIP Member
    My thoughts exactly. I would prefer to ID the perps before firing. Well, I would prefer to not have to shoot anybody to begin with, but if in the situation I don't want to shoot blindly.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I believe, according to the OP, that the article stated the homeowner "heard" someone breaking glass and that he retreated and hid in a bedroom...I don't know about other folks, but the "breaking glass" would have tipped me off quickly that the visitors were unwanted and uninvited. I personally think I would have allowed them to open the bedroom door and then would have fired rather than firing through the bedroom door. I'm not necessarily worried about trying to ID my visitors, I want to make every effort to take as many out as possible, and that in itself could necessitate allowing them to open the bedroom door. I guess on the other side of the coin, if you let a hail of lead fly when you hear/see the bedroom doorknob turn or the door begin to open, then you would still stand a good chance of taking the majority of intruders down/out providing it is a hollow core door. I guess it's one of those "Ya had to be there" things!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    "Shot through the door". Ugh. Worked out this time, but.
    If he lives alone and knows nobody comes to visit, then it is his choice.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    If he lives alone and knows nobody comes to visit, then it is his choice.
    Bingo.

Homeowner got the jump on them and ambushed

Awesome tactics.

BGuys never saw it coming.......one only felt it then died.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Yeah, he not only has a mess to clean up, but has to replace a window and a door. At least he's around to do it.
    db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Not the best approach...but a dead dirtbag is a dead dirtbag.
    Hope the surviving dirtbag pays for the other's death.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I suspect he retreated to his bedroom because that's where he kept his gun.

When I get dressed in the morning, the gun goes in my holster and the wallet goes in my pocket.
    If it's a good day, I won't have to use either one. But I always have both on me.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

If it was Connecticut he'd be in jail for shooting. Gun owners in CT are viewed as more of a threat then the actual criminals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links