Local Homeowner Kills Home Invader with a 22 Rifle after he breaks through Front Door

Local Homeowner Kills Home Invader with a 22 Rifle after he breaks through Front Door

This is a discussion on Local Homeowner Kills Home Invader with a 22 Rifle after he breaks through Front Door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A man in nearby Coos Bay, OR shot and killed a transient after the man broke through his front door and entered his home. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Local Homeowner Kills Home Invader with a 22 Rifle after he breaks through Front Door

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

A man in nearby Coos Bay, OR shot and killed a transient after the man broke through his front door and entered his home. The homeowner, who police have refused to name, then fired two warning shots, in an attempt to frighten the man off. However, these shots failed to deter him.

As the transient continued to come forward, the homeowner then fired a single shot into the intruder's chest, fatally wounding him.

This all happened at 5:30am in the morning.

Interesting that an intruder would continue to advance even after warning shots are fired. Why didn't the warning shots stop him and make him leave the home?

Here is a link to a video news report about the incident:

Coos homeowner shoots intruder - Breaking News, Local News, Local Weather, Local Sports

And here is a link to another report:

Man fatally shoots intruder at Coos County home; D.A. say it's justified | OregonLive.com

It is also interesting that the homeowner was able to successfully defend himself using just a .22 caliber rifle. I guess that even a .22 LR can be a man killer with good shot placement.

garyacman and scgunlover1 like this.

Interesting that an intruder would continue to advance even after warning shots are fired. Why didn't the warning shots stop him and make him leave the home?
    Drugged up maybe?
    oneshot likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    many of the transient population have significant substance abuse and/or mental health issues
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Good for the homeowner. I guess it shows that any caliber is better than none, and that shot placement is king. I have a wife and 8 year old daughter here--and it may sound harsh, but there will be NO warning shots at my house!
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Any sized round can kill if placed right. The 22 was
    used by assassins for years.

Pretty darn lucky especially if he was hoped up on drugs. One darn good shot and shot placement. All the more reason to keep that Mossy 500 with pistol grips and heavy 12GA 00 buck ready to roll.
    8th ID likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

All good except the warning shots. Two chances to hit something you do not want to hit, plus two shots wasted in the event you needed to keep shooting!
    oneshot and Lyndo like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

22 thru the heart results in a lot less after incident cleanup.12 gauge 00 buck in chest requires new carpet at the very least
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    All good except the warning shots. Two chances to hit something you do not want to hit, plus two shots wasted in the event you needed to keep shooting!
    I was thinking along the lines of two holes to repair

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of two holes to repair
    I would gladly repair a couple holes, but you can't bring those warning shots back, there usually is a house nearby, a car going down the street, any number of things that you could hit with them and totally screw up your life.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy32 View Post
    Any sized round can kill if placed right. The 22 was
    used by assassins for years.
    Local firearms instructor says there are three key factors to defending yourself with a firearm.
    1. Shot placement
    2. Shot placement
    3. Shot placement
    alachner likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

All good except the warning shots.
    From the standpoint of Strategy and Tactics, no, you don't want to waste ammo - especially with such a small caliber. And there was a famous home invasion robbery here in my city where the two homeowners had to really battle it out with a pair of perps, and the wife used a Ruger MKII, having to dump all 10 into one of the perps to stop him. So there's that.

On the other hand, the way people talk around here, sounds like they're just itching for an excuse to empty that clip into a dirtbag!

And I'll betcha dollars to donuts that the homeowner in this story probably really didn't feel like killing anybody, and that those first two shots were not only warning shots, but also his way of psyching himself up to fire on the BG. You know, some people freeze and can't shoot at all - like that cop in the video Piazza uses on his website ("stop yelling and start shooting").

Train all you want, train all you can, but how you'll react when it's time is something you won't know for sure until it happens. If a couple of punk kids are causing a threat on my property, I just might send a round of #1 Buck over their heads, on the off chance it means I don't have to splatter 'em all over the place. It would totally depend on the nature of the threat and the situation as it's unfolding. There is no "generic" case for this.

My training is to not point and not put my finger on the trigger unless I fully intend to shoot - that's a rule. But in an actual event, it's going to be my decision what I do and I could very well decide to warn with a shot. I won't criticize or second-guess the homeowner in this incident because I'm not him and I wasn't there.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Never confuse a .22lr out of a rifle and a pistol, they are two different birds altogether. Still Placement is key.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Good for that homeowner to keep a clear head a effectively use what he had available to take down the BG. It wouldn't be my top choice but I can put several accurate rounds on target real quick with my 10/22. And I don't believe in wasting~I mean warning shots.

A .22 rimfire killing BGs is a pretty common thing. I remember a show made in the 80s which was based on a true story where a teenager used a leveraction .22 to kill two or three people who broke into his house when he was home alone after school. A .22 LR in a rifle will get it done. It may be the most useful and versatile round on the face of the planet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links