You Can Carry at the Kentucky State Capitol

This is a discussion on You Can Carry at the Kentucky State Capitol within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Apparently you can do this legally. Not so here in West Virginia. Of course the anti-sentiment says they need to "leave the guns home." Guns ...

Thread: You Can Carry at the Kentucky State Capitol

Apparently you can do this legally. Not so here in West Virginia. Of course the anti-sentiment says they need to "leave the guns home."

Guns routinely being brought into Ky. Capitol
    April 08, 2011 @ 01:30 PM

2011/The Herald-Dispatch

The Associated Press

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky is seeing a surge in people carrying guns into the Capitol.

State police documented 53 instances in which visitors carried guns into the Capitol between Jan. 1 and March 31, more than twice the number that had been brought in during the previous 18 months.

The state legislature was in session during most of that three month period, debating a number of emotional issues, including illegal immigration and mountaintop removal coal mining.

Gun rights proponents consider it no big deal that people can stroll through the Capitol armed. But critics believe they should have to leave their weapons at home.
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...nto-Ky-Capitol
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Cool

Glockman10mm is the law in Kentucky and I am sure if there was any problem with citizens availing themselves of their 2nd Amendment rights he would be the first to set things straight.

It is not the honest law-abiding gun owner that has ever been the problem. It has been the uninformed politician and non-gunowner that have felt there was a problem with anyone who owned a handgun and that the police are all anyone needs to protect them and there is no need for anyone to have guns for self protection. They say that the 2nd Amendment was for the colonial militia and not relevent today. Good on the honest law-abiding citizens of Kentucky for setting things straight.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I live about 25 minutes from our state capitol-Frankfort. I know a few people who have carried in the state building. From what I've heard, the State Police encounters there are positive, but if you're carrying, you usually have a 'tail' following you while you're walking around inside the building.

Well, as an active LEO I found out exactly how long it takes to respond once you get the call, and that does not include the initial call to 911, time to advise of your emergency, time to dispatch, etc. LEO's do their best to respond as fast as possible, but I have seen times when I was the only car in my County in my Troop Area, at that point you have to take the calls in order that they come in. Your being assaulted, and another person is being shot at, your second on the list, just the way it is.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    This doesn't sound right to me. I'm in Kentucky and we aren't allowed to carry in a court house or the Sheriff's Department so the thought of carrying it into the Capitol sounds extremely odd to me.

We like a free state. Heck, most of the legislators are packin heat, so its no big deal. The AOC, OR Administative Office of the Courts determines many things about the way courts are ran, abd its the Sherrifs job to make safe and secure the Courthouse. If you have ever sat thru a Family Court hearing, then the policy makes sense. People tend to get heated when the social workers take their children from them. And then theres the trials with very angry family members seeking revenge. In Frankfort, at the Capital, there are places that you cannot enter anyway.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    We like a free state. Heck, most of the legislators are packin heat, so its no big deal. The AOC, OR Administative Office of the Courts determines many things about the way courts are ran, abd its the Sherrifs job to make safe and secure the Courthouse. If you have ever sat thru a Family Court hearing, then the policy makes sense. People tend to get heated when the social workers take their children from them. And then theres the trials with very angry family members seeking revenge. In Frankfort, at the Capital, there are places that you cannot enter anyway.
    I'm grateful for learning something new - I had a right that I wasn't even aware of having. I'm all for carrying any and everywhere all of the time.

DCG

In TX, a CHL in hand means you get to bypass the metal detector and the lines to them.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    In TX, a CHL in hand means you get to bypass the metal detector and the lines to them.
    +1........ As it should be. Good on Texas. In certain counties in south Florida LEO's are not allowed to carry in the court house. Only sheriff's deputies assigned to court detail can. So into the lock box the duty weapon goes and the BUG goes into the courtroom. They look the other way if they are worth a crap as most of us are in uniform anyway and the security working the metal detectors are unarmed backed up by a deputy sheriff. Now you go north of Palm Beach County and it is a whole new ballgame and all LEO's carry in courthouses. You got to go north to get into the south in Florida.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Old School, I can relate with that. Here in Ky, depending on the Sheriff, court room carry is prohibited by LE. Sometimes I can tell them where to stick it and go on if I am transporting for the US Marshal service. It's always a hassle, and everyone is confused about jurisdictional authority. If you are carrying a badge, the rules should be the same. Sheriffs are a political office and that's where things get stupid sometimes.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links