Bad: Officer loses eye to shotgun blast

This is a discussion on Bad: Officer loses eye to shotgun blast within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sgt. James Kelemen was responding to a call at Flower's Baking Co. in Conroe at 4 p.m. Saturday, where police said a man was threatening ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Bad: Officer loses eye to shotgun blast

Sgt. James Kelemen was responding to a call at Flower's Baking Co. in Conroe at 4 p.m. Saturday, where police said a man was threatening an employee with a shotgun.
    The Montgomery County District Attorney's Office said Kelemen was shot in the face by James Richard Hill, 54. Kelemen received wounds to the forehead and the eye.
    Officers returned fire at Hill and he died at the scene.
    Full Story
    Dash-cam video of incident Here

Hope the officer recovers quickly. The only good thing about the whole incident is the BG is no longer with us.
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sorry to hear about this officer's wounds, I hope he has a speedy recovery and can still be employed as a cop.
    Glad the dirtbag is gone..
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They waited way too long,suspect failed to drop firearm after repeated orders,continued to aim at Officers,moved closer while aiming said weapon at Officer.He shoulda been taken out with a rifle before he ever shot,
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They waited way too long,suspect failed to drop firearm after repeated orders,continued to aim at Officers,moved closer while aiming said weapon at Officer.He shoulda been taken out with a rifle before he ever shot,
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. They seemed to be showing an exceptional amount of restraint with the guy. Maybe they were worried about hitting civilians in the stores behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. They seemed to be showing an exceptional amount of restraint with the guy. Maybe they were worried about hitting civilians in the stores behind him.
    True, but imagine the hail of gunfire after the BG fired his shotgun. I'd say the missed shots definitely have more of a chance of hitting bystanders compared to a sight-aimed rifle shot. But then again, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    True, but imagine the hail of gunfire after the BG fired his shotgun. I'd say the missed shots definitely have more of a chance of hitting bystanders compared to a sight-aimed rifle shot. But then again, it's easy to Monday morning quarterback.
    I'd say that would be true except for the time lapse and several other officers arriving on scene,The Officer that was hit was trying to talk the guy down by using terms like C'mon Buddy put the gun down etc.I would say great,but when somebody is aiming a gun at you and even advances,It's time Diplomacy ended and the threat gets put down
    oneshot and paullie like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

sgb
    Some folks even Officers simply are not mentally prepared to take a life, had the perp been loaded with buckshot instead of birdshot the Sgt's hesitation would have been fatal.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Lots of folks fighting in Libya are currently losing eyes from shrapnel wounds to the face.

I am curious why people dont take eye protection more seriously.
    With all the nice safety glasses on the market just one pair makes a big difference.
    I have noticed our current Troops wear a lot of shooters glasses and can only imagine the amount of dirt and rocks kicked up diring a fire fight that can do a great deal of damage to a persons eyesight so quickly. I wonder how any front line Soldiers in WWII came home with their eyesight at all.
    I have a Machine Shop and always wear clear glasses while in it because it only takes one splinter or dust speck to shut me down.
    And after having cataracts and a detached retina repaired, I dont take my ability to see well for granted anymore.
    It's been proven that safty glasses will make a big difference in slowing down a shotgun pellet to the eye area.

I'm sad this Officer may lose his career because of his loss of the use of his eye in this incident.
    Good to see that the Court System will not have to add this trail to it's backlogged docket!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I took some shrap to my left eye when a 45 ACP case ruptured and I got a face full of hot gas and brass,last round and my glasses were on top of my head.I spent the next day getting 12 small brass particles plucked outta my eye,If I get within 10 feet of a range my glasses are on

As civilians we have a lot more leeway as to when we can shoot than officers. There are 2 points when I would have dropped the hammer, first being when the BG approached and took an aggressive stance by the car, in the open.

I know the LEOs have a somewhat duty to "take 'em alive" but IMO that would have been a justified shoot after the first command to drop the weapon.

I hope the officer has a full recovery. As Dilios said in 300 after King Leonidas asked him about his eye, "The Gods saw fit to give me two"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

As civilians we have a lot more leeway as to when we can shoot than officers. There are 2 points when I would have dropped the hammer, first being when the BG approached and took an aggressive stance by the car, in the open.
    I would have dropped him when he was standing by the column aiming a shouldered long gun,and definitely when he ran up closer again taking aim just before he fired.Theres a huge difference between having a gun in your hand and being told to drop it and aiming a weapon where your a trigger pull away from getting shot

Yup. We're having a much more heated discussion of this vid on another TX gun forum. I would have dropped him by the column the first time he leveled that shotty my way.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

One should also remember that some departments have political pressured applied to them to "reduce" the number of LEO-involved shootings. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the reality on the street, and often tries to accomplish its objective by encouraging officers to take additional risk in high-risk situations. I'm not saying that is what necessarily happened here, but perhaps it was.

Links