Teen Shot while Breaking Into Auto

This is a discussion on Teen Shot while Breaking Into Auto within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FIRST ON 26: Teen Shot After Breaking Into Car in south Augusta | NBC Augusta 26 For those of you with Facebook. The Jail Report ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Teen Shot while Breaking Into Auto

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Not too bright, breaking into vehicles around noon.
    oneshot and Spade115 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Not bright but I'm not shooting anyone for property.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

if the kid was in the car he could have held him at gun point until the police arrived.........I would not have shot
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

I don't know about GA.but here in NC your not justified in shooting someone over property.I'll be suprised if he doesn't get charged.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Not really enough details in a few sentences to start passing judgement on shoot/don't shoot, methinks.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Not bright but I'm not shooting anyone for property.

You can in Texas...God bless Texas.

Now if you're investigating noises around your car, and the suspect 'attacks' you, that's a different story.
    dsee11789, poppy37 and Spade115 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Macantic said it for me. In NC not for property

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Not too bright, breaking into vehicles around noon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Akin to walking around in broad daylight with a sandwich sign reading, shoot me, I'm an idiot.
    ep1953 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Texas Law
    Deadly Force to Protect Property

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

I believe breaking into a car is considered burglary.Wanta play Hamburglar don't do it in Tx
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Texas Law
    Deadly Force to Protect Property

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

I believe breaking into a car is considered burglary.Wanta play Hamburglar don't do it in Tx
    Maybe legal (in Texas) but does not make it right.

--------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Maybe legal (in Texas) but does not make it right.

I disagree, they used to hang horse theives...we've gotten away from that, but TX has brought back the concept...extremely right.IMHOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You can in Texas...God bless Texas.
    Actually, Texas law only allows deadly force to protect property at night. The law specifies this. So, if you shoot a guy breaking into your car in the middle of the day...
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

In KY, the shoot would be illegal if the BG was not attacking the property owner. An auto is very different from a home. But IF the BG was pouring gas on the car and was attempting to light it up, a shoot would be legal. Arson changes everything here.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Actually, Texas law only allows deadly force to protect property at night. The law specifies this. So, if you shoot a guy breaking into your car in the middle of the day...
    Yes!

Nighttime in Texas gets leeway on lethal force to stop theft. Also note the either/or requirements I bolded below

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
    (b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
    (1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
    (2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.
    and

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links