Arrested homeowner tells why he shot

This is a discussion on Arrested homeowner tells why he shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Ron Heimerman said the sounds of someone moving around in his house in the northwest Sumner County town of Milton woke him before 3 a.m. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Guantes
  • 1 Post By Naufragia

Thread: Arrested homeowner tells why he shot

2. Remove Ads

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Good news!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

SD laws need to include "prevention of a felony", in addition to fear of GBI or death.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep and burglary or theft over a certain amount is a felony,criminals will learn to stick to stealing lunch money from kids
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They had stolen all of his guns in a burglary days before, so he assumed they were the same guys coming back and probably 'armed'. He had a "borrowed" gun. There were things said that he shot them outside while running away, but ..... there were many things that indicated that was not particularly accurate... as one was shot in the face, which means he wasn't running "away" from the homeowner. The 2nd one, was wounded by fragments from the first one being shot, which shows the close proximity as well.

It was .223 ammo.

He never should have been arrested until they had completed the investigation or certain he had actually committed a crime. Although they are not filing any charges, he now has an arrest record for assault with a deadly weapon.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator

He never should have been arrested until they had completed the investigation
    or certain he had actually committed a crime. Although they are not filing any
    charges, he now has an arrest record for assault with a deadly
    weapon.
    In many places it is standard procedure to arrest first, and sort out the facts second, downtown, in the interview room.

If they didnt charge him, then the arrest is moot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In many places it is standard procedure to arrest first, and sort out the facts second, downtown, in the interview room.

If they didnt charge him, then the arrest is moot.
    It may be moot, but it will start to haunt him anytime there is a background check.

The man needs to get that wiped, and keep copies handy.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Heimerman shot one of the men in the jaw. That person remains in the hospital and has been unable to talk to detectives.

Quote of the day.
    merlin82plus likes this.

VIP Member
    The law says deadly force can't be used to prevent property from being stolen if that person doesn't feel threatened, Yoder said
    What the law fails to recognize is that 1.) Theft is a traumatic experience that he will not forget and may affect his mental and emotional well being. Therefore, the intrusion could produce post traumatic stress that can be life threatening.

2.) Property theft may affect his financial livelihood therefore producing a threat to his mental and physical health that could potentially become life threating.

The man needs to invest in a good security system and a 12 ga.

He should also demand an action plan of his city to provide regular patrols in areas of unsolved criminal activity.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It may be moot, but it will start to haunt him anytime there is a background check.

The man needs to get that wiped, and keep copies handy.

Since bail was set, he was obviously indicted, so he's eligible to apply for a finding of factual innocence; which, if granted, would expunge his record after a certain amount of time elapses without him being charged for another crime.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

More details

Here's a story published Sunday with a bit more info.

This comment by Patricia Stoneking, president of the Kansas State Rifle Association, is a curious one: "We're extremely pleased that the prosecutor saw that this was a justified situation," Stonking said.

Umm, no that's not correct. She has either jumped to an erroneous conclusion or made a deliberate politically-motivated exegesis on what the prosecutor actually said, which was: [County Attorney Evan Watson] "...decided not to file charges" ... "Because Sumner County sheriff's deputies couldn't determine at the scene whether Heimerman's use of deadly force was legally justified."

The decision not to file charges was because they had no evidence that Hiemerman had lied, and without evidence they had no case. That's not the same as the prosecutor believing Hiemerman was justified.

She should know better, especially when talking to a reporter.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Great links. Thanks.

Links