OK City Pharmacy Robbery Murder Trial

This is a discussion on OK City Pharmacy Robbery Murder Trial within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The adults who planned the pharmacy robbery where a teenager was killed by Jerome Ersland, the pharmacist, are on trial for murder in OK City. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: OK City Pharmacy Robbery Murder Trial

The adults who planned the pharmacy robbery where a teenager was killed by Jerome Ersland, the pharmacist, are on trial for murder in OK City.

Ersland was also charged with murder. Think his trial is in early May.

The fact that a criminal who was found guilty of armed robbery, kidnapping and assault is on the street says something about the OK "justice system".

.................................................. .................................................. ........

Emanuel D. “E Man” Mitchell testified against the advice of his defense attorney.

Both his defense attorney and the district attorney warned him the jury will learn of his criminal record if he testified. Mitchell has felony convictions for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault.

Mitchell, 33, and Anthony D. “Black” Morrison, 44, are accused of sending two teenagers into the Reliable Discount Pharmacy in 2009 to rob the store of drugs and money. The two men are cousins.

They were charged with first-degree murder after the pharmacist fatally shot one teenager, Antwun “Speedy” Parker.

Read more: Murder defendant testifies in Oklahoma City pharmacy trial | NewsOK.com

Antwun “Speedy” Parker.
    Now if his last name was Gonzalez it would be even funnier,but apparently speedy isn't as fast as lead coming out a muzzle at 950+ FPS
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Too bad his nickname wasn't "Smarty"!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The adults who planned the pharmacy robbery where a teenager was killed by Jerome Ersland, the pharmacist, are on trial for murder in OK City.

Ersland was also charged with murder. Think his trial is in early May.

That part I find disgusting. I pray that the trial last an hour, and he is acquitted, with a wiped record & reimbursement.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    My understanding is that Ersland is facing a murder charge specifically for walking back into the pharmacy, after unloading at the fleeing robber outside, and then shooting once again the dirtbag he had shot earlier and who was lying on the floor. Is this correct?

My understanding is that Ersland is facing a murder charge specifically for walking back into the pharmacy, after unloading at the fleeing robber outside, and then shooting once again the dirtbag he had shot earlier and who was lying on the floor. Is this correct?
    You are correct.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    You are correct.
    Did Ersland (i.e. an Oklahoman) have to go through required training of some sort in order to have that firearm at the place of business?

It's actually a whole lot worse. Ersland shot the robber who was unarmed, hitting him in the head. Justified, no problem. He then chased after the armed punk, unloading the magazine at him. Ersland comes back in, grabs another (loaded) gun, strolls up to the kid on the floor who's both unarmed and immobilized with a gunshot wound to the head and Ersland pounds 5 more rounds into the kid's stomach, killing him. Watch the video if you like.

What really nails Ersland to the wall here is the way he's just so casual and relaxed about walking across the line from "self-defense" to "murder." We should all support the prosecution in this case because people like Ersland are an extreme threat to our rights to gun ownership. What he does here is exactly what the anti-gun community is worried about. He's the poster-child for confiscation.
    TVJ, msgt/ret, MKEgal and 1 others like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Now if his last name was Gonzalez it would be even funnier,but apparently speedy isn't as fast as lead coming out a muzzle at 950+ FPS
    Beat me to it.

I'd almost forgotten about this case. I'll be watching the upcoming trial of the pharmacist with interest. I think he'll have a hard time getting an acquittal, having shot again an already wounded and prone BG. (Although I think that Second Degree Murder would have been a more appropriate charge.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    (Although I think that Second Degree Murder would have been a more appropriate charge.)
    Really? When the video proves premeditation?

He might have been able to plea down if he had shown some visible nerves instead of calmly reloading before shooting the prone, injured, helpless kid lying on the floor. Those actions demonstrated that he knew the kid was no threat when he executed him.

Make no mistake, that was not self defense, it was vigilante justice - exactly what the anti-gun reporters are accusing us of when they say, "took the law into his own hands," after a self defense shooting. How the man felt about what the kid deserved after attempting to rob him is irrelevant, it is perfectly legitimate to use deadly force in defense of life (and depending on jurisdiction, property). Once the threat to either is ended, we are obligated to defer to the courts and not one single self-defense expert would be willing to testify otherwise.

In fact, I wouldn't blame an expert for being willing to provide expert testimony for the prosecution as a way to mitigate backlash against the castle doctrine (which the defense is almost certain to invoke since the law was recently expanded to include businesses).

Ryan
    shockwave likes this.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Really? When the video proves premeditation?

He might have been able to plea down if he had shown some visible nerves instead of calmly reloading before shooting the prone, injured, helpless kid lying on the floor. Those actions demonstrated that he knew the kid was no threat when he executed him.
    Valid point. I'm not legally trained (as I'm sure you've gathered), but I was thinking in terms of so-called "hot-blooded" versus "cold-blooded" murder; and, having just graduated from the prestigious law school of Google Search, I learned this:

Voluntary manslaughter is commonly defined as an intentional killing in which the offender had no prior intent to kill, such as a killing that occurs in the "heat of passion." The circumstances leading to the killing must be the kind that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed; otherwise, the killing may be charged as a first-degree or second-degree murder.
    (source)

The words I've put in bold lettering are what I was thinking of. (I mistook second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter as being one and the same.) Being robbed at gunpoint will almost certainly cause someone to become "emotionally or mentally disturbed," and I was thinking that the prosecution might have over-played their hand with the first-degree charge (though, as you point out, his apparent calmness during the act will certainly tell against him in court). In the end, of course, it all depends on what the jury will buy.

Take care.
    Last edited by Naufragia; May 1st, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

Given the additional info/background regarding the Pharmacist, I retract my previous statement.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    Valid point. I'm not legally trained (as I'm sure you've gathered), but I was thinking in terms of so-called "hot-blooded" versus "cold-blooded" murder; and, having just graduated from the prestigious law school of Google Search, I learned this:

(source)

The words I've put in bold lettering are what I was thinking of. (I mistook second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter as being one and the same.) Being robbed at gunpoint will almost certainly cause someone to become "emotionally or mentally disturbed," and I was thinking that the prosecution might have over-played their hand with the first-degree charge (though, as you point out, his apparent calmness during the act will certainly tell against him in court). In the end, of course, it all depends on what the jury will buy.

Take care.
    This is kind of what I was thinking, in that the pharmacist didn't go looking to randomly shoot someone.
    He was caught up it all the craziness, and things went too FAR.

1st. or 2nd degree???
    Vol. manslaughter?
    Probably.
    Naufragia likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

i have followed the Ersland shooting since day one. Ersland hurt his cause when he allowed himself to be interviewed on TV: He came across as vigilante; not a guy who defended himself and his employees. Ersland also lied to the police about his military service; claiming combat experience that he did not have. He claimed that the dead perp had a gun. IMO: Had Ersland not lied to the police he might not be trouble.

BTW: The trial will start on 16 May, 2011. It will be televised.

This site has a plethora of links related to Ersland:

http://www.koco.com/news/27109600/detail.html

Late:

The two perps who planned the pharmacy robbery were sentenced to life in prison today. "E Man Mitchell", attacked the prosecutor in court.

http://newsok.com/cousins-found-guil...rticle/3564082
    Last edited by Sig 210; May 2nd, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Naufragia likes this.

i have followed the Ersland shooting since day one. Ersland hurt his cause when he allowed himself to be interviewed on TV: He came across as vigilante; not a guy who defended himself and his employees. Ersland also lied to the police about his military service; claiming combat experience that he did not have. He claimed that the dead perp had a gun. IMO: Had Ersland not lied to the police he might not be trouble.

BTW: The trial will start on 16 May, 2011. It will be televised.

This site has a plethora of links related to Ersland:

Judge Elliott To Remain; Trial Date Set For Ersland - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City
    Great links. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links