Home invasion, neighbor to the rescue

This is a discussion on Home invasion, neighbor to the rescue within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This one will be interesting to watch. Knowing the area all to well, I'm very sure the victim in this isnt exactly innocent. There is ...

Thread: Home invasion, neighbor to the rescue

Administrator

Home invasion, neighbor to the rescue

This one will be interesting to watch. Knowing the area all to well, I'm very sure the victim in this isnt exactly innocent. There is far more to the story than whats printed here. However, the legal outcome of this might prove to be worth keeping track of the story.

Springfield Township Police continue to investigate a crime scene that left one man dead and two others injured in a home invasion robbery Sunday afternoon.

According to officers on the scene, three armed men stormed into a home on the 8300 block of Cottonwood Dr. around 1 p.m.

A male resident of the home was shot in the shoulder during the home invasion an suffered non life-threatening injuries, police said.

A neighbor heard the commotion, police said, and engaged the three suspects in gunfire, striking two, as they exited the home.

One of the suspects was shot in the head and later pronounced dead, police indicated, and the other was shot in the stomach. That suspect managed to flee the scene only to show up at the hospital a few minutes later. He is listed in critical condition, police said.

The third suspect remains at large, police said. Investigators have yet to release his description.

The neighbor involved in the shooting was apparently uninjured but was taken in for questioning. He has yet to be charged in the incident.

The names of those involved have yet to be released.
    http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...pringfield-twp.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Your link isn't working.

EDIT: This one might: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...pringfield-twp.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Neither are. Huh.
    "Just blame Sixto"

However, upon reading the story on 9's website.

That really isn't the greatest part of town, at all. But, I do think it could have interesting legal ramifications. Defense of others is covered by the ORC's deadly force stuff last time I checked.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

GM
    Wow, it happened Sunday around 1:00 pm! Not much info, but these links should work:

Police: Neighbor Shoots Robbers in Springfield Township, One Dies - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

-- wrong link; deleted --
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Not sure why you have that second link up there, its older, and from Toledo, on thee other end of the state.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    However, upon reading the story on 9's website.

That really isn't the greatest part of town, at all. But, I do think it could have interesting legal ramifications. Defense of others is covered by the ORC's deadly force stuff last time I checked.
    If the neighbor issued a challenge to the gunmen as they exited, and they turned to engage him, he is now defending himself, and not defense of another, as I see it.

I would thing he would be covered both ways. But it will still have to play out before we know exactly what happened.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Not sure why you have that second link up there, its older, and from Toledo, on thee other end of the state.
    My mistake! I deleted it. Thanks for telling
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    My mistake! I deleted it. Thanks for telling
    No problem, there are only about a billion places with the name "Springfield" in the name in the Mid-west.

If the neighbor issued a challenge to the gunmen as they exited, and they turned to engage him, he is now defending himself, and not defense of another, as I see it.

I would thing he would be covered both ways. But it will still have to play out before we know exactly what happened
    From the news story, which doesn't say much, it would appear he would be covered. I will be interested to see if the DA presses charges or not.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Well, if the neighbor was acting in "good faith" .... and was then engaged as well, he's covered. Sounds like he's a good shot and went COM.
    It would be good to have this guy as a neighbor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    This will be interesting to see how this plays out. This is 2 streets over from me, right next to a closed elementary school and within a couple hundred yards of our Krogers. That area has had its share of issues.

At present there are conflicting reports from the local media. All seem to indicate that the perps were leaving, but these apartment buildings are 4 units to the building. Were they leaving the apartment they burgled or leaving the building as a whole? Time will tell.

The WCPO report that won't link states that there were 3 perps, 1 shot in the head, 1 in the stomach and 1 apparently unharmed and still on the loose.

Here is another report - this one is not even interanally consistent - http://www.wxix.com/story/14550070/p...ot-by-neighbor

Hopefully we will get more info as the day goes on.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links