Parent Arrested for Brandishing Gun at Bus Stop

This is a discussion on Parent Arrested for Brandishing Gun at Bus Stop within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 Well, the responses at her door sort of tell you her verbal skills are limited! [SARCASM] Yeah, she is a really ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Parent Arrested for Brandishing Gun at Bus Stop

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, the responses at her door sort of tell you her verbal skills are limited!
    [SARCASM]Yeah, she is a really classy act insn't she?[/SARCASM]

2. Remove Ads

I would like to see a picture of the gun an holster.

She does not shine a good light on gun owners that actually act in a responsible manner.
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Dang it! More bad stuff in areas Im familiar with.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member
    She made the news again for the 3rd night . After being arrested for the bus incidence, she went before the Judge and she was denied bail. Her next court date is June 9th.

Well, the story is kind of vague. Va is an open carry state, and as far as I know, there are no laws prohibiting open carry in a residential neighborhood just because you are at a school bus stop. I don't think the gun laws which apply to school property and inside of school buses, applies to being outside at the bus stop within your local neighborhood.

What the story lacks are any specifics regarding the incident. What was her demeanor, did she say anything threatening or anything at all? Does she open carry on a regular basis, or was this the only time she's ever been seen with a gun in public? And even if she's never open carried a gun before, so what? If it's legal to do so, and she is carrying a gun she is legal to own, then there may be some overreacting on the part of the media, the school and possibly the police.

Certainly on it's surface, she doesn't seem like the brightest bulb on the power grid, simply by how she responded to the media at her door, but I would sure like to know more of the story before I draw any conclusions. We all know the media is FAMOUS for slanting any gun issue in a negative light.

I'll just throw this out there... This is one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of open carry. Too much opportunity for misinterpretation to run amok causing unnecessary grief. I support open carry, it's just a mode, I choose not to do myself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Classy lady and a beauty queen to boot!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Just shooting from the hip...
    Hmmm, I smell a pun.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    The problem is not open carrying. The problem was she started a confrontation while she was carrying a pistol. We don't know if it was open or if she showed it.

Her son has been getting bullied. I respect her for trying to look out for her kid, but not how she handled it.

Distinguished Member
    Update, The woman was sentenced to 2 years in prison today for 3 counts of brandishing a firearm.

The sentence was based on her past history with the law, this was her second conviction for brandishing a firearm.
    Last edited by redrick; June 24th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Update, The woman was sentenced to 2 years in prison today for 3 counts of brandishing a firearm.

The sentence was based on the her past history with the law, this was her second conviction for brandishing a firearm.
    Well, that pretty much sums it up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2nd conviction? And 3 counts of brandishing? That one has me confused....did they charge her a count for each person at bus stop or what? And is not brandishing a firearm a felony? Looks like she crossed the line from "Parent who happens to own a gun and was OCing at a school bus stop and scared a bunch of kids" to "Convicted felon found guilty of possessing a handgun and threatening children at a school bus stop".

I say 2 year conviction is a weak piss.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    "Police say 33 year old Shiquita Reed was defending her daughter who was being teased at Manchester Middle School."

If she actually made any kind of statement to that effect, gun holstered, loaded or not, she may as well keep that foot in her mouth. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like it could be construed as intent to intimidate. The problem with the law is the somewhat ambiguous word 'brandish':

Definition of BRANDISH
    transitive verb
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Per the law:
    ...It shall be unlawful for any person to...brandish any firearm...whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear...in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense.
    If you tell a child at a bus stop that you're there to defend your daughter because she's being picked on & display a weapon of any kind, you are a mousy prosecutor's wet dream. The caveat at the end of the stature would also suggest that, unless someone else (prosecutor, judge, jury) could find these actions excusable or justifiable as a form of defense, she's pickled.

The really tough thing about this situation really is how her child is taking it - it is a shame if she's further traumatized by her mother's actions, but it'd be an even bigger shame if she's actually proud of her mother for what she has done.

That's my opionion, for what it's worth.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaddaBoom View Post
    2nd conviction? And 3 counts of brandishing? That one has me confused....did they charge her a count for each person at bus stop or what? And is not brandishing a firearm a felony? Looks like she crossed the line from "Parent who happens to own a gun and was OCing at a school bus stop and scared a bunch of kids" to "Convicted felon found guilty of possessing a handgun and threatening children at a school bus stop".

I say 2 year conviction is a weak piss.
    Yes they charged her for each person. The orginal charge was 5 counts, 2 people didn't show up for court.

It was a misdemeanor conviction, I don't know what class it was.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    before even going to the story i said....uneducated minority, every other word will be bleeped and the others' comments will all go to 'we needz more' and 'they
    ('they' being those who give more money to those who cry the most on tv) shoulda...'....whatever.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

news be gettin me down; anyone have an island for sale at a good price--bearly in sight of the mainland would be good.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links