Walgreens Fires Pharmacist for Protecting Himself

This is a discussion on Walgreens Fires Pharmacist for Protecting Himself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A photograph of four children tucked in a thank-you card from a coworker reminds Jeremy Hoven he did the right thing. But doing "the right ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Walgreens Fires Pharmacist for Protecting Himself

Walgreens Fires Pharmacist for Protecting Himself

A photograph of four children tucked in a thank-you card from a coworker reminds Jeremy Hoven he did the right thing.

But doing "the right thing" cost the night shift pharmacist his job at the Walgreens drugstore at Napier Avenue and M-139. The national pharmacy chain fired Hoven on Monday, eight days after he fired his handgun to foil an armed robbery and a potentially deadly hostage situation at the store.
    Herald Palladium > Archives > Local News > Walgreens fires armed worker

Walgreens will not get my business any longer...

And I'm usually an anti-lawsuit kinda guy...way too much lawyering in this country...but in this case, I may just have to modify my thought process...
    Last edited by DaveJay; May 21st, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Mr. Hoven did the right thing and Walgreen's did not !
    oneshot likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Moderator
    Email sent to Walgreens about the firing. Time to find another pharmacy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I prefer CVS anyway, but Walgreens wil no longer get even the little bit of business that I have been giving them.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    I have gone through their website, and for the life of me cannot find anything pertaining to what an employee can/cannot do.

Email sent, they suck, but will do what most employer will do.
    Fire the employee, make an example of them, and take their chances that if someone gets shot/killed at the hands of a thug, be it a customer or an employee, they would rather pay-out to that, than have the SO CALLED bad press of having an employee fire their weapon, and injure/kill a customer or God forbid a knuckledragger.
    They will be sued either way, but would rather be able to blame a death on a thug, should they shoot someone, than one of their own employees doing it.
    SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS in this country.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Undetermined

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Yeah.. No more of my money for Walgreens.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Nothing like Walgreen's telling the rest of the BG's in the area that they will not allow their employees to carry firearms so come on in and rob us without being concerned you might get armed resistence.

Pure unadulterated BS !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm glad to see that the vast majority of comments below the story are in favor of Mr. Hoven. Gives me some hope! I would be proud to stand beside him.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Here is my letter... What do you think? I am still figuring out the best way to write these...

Hi,
    I have just read the news regarding the incident at one your stores involving Jeremy Hoven. (linked here: Herald Palladium > Archives > Local News > Walgreens fires armed worker)

I am writing this email to express my disdain of your reaction to this. Mr. Hoven did exactly what he was trained to do. He potentially saved lives. In fact, from the news story it sounded like he probably did save that managers life. How does Walgreens react? Fire him.
    If this man worked for my company I would have offered him therapy for the trauma, if he desired. Given him some time off and then welcomed him back. But, what you have shown the criminal public is that your company frowns on employees who carry guns. In turn giving them an ideal target for their next robbery where the probability of there being resistance (concealed handgun) is very small. In turn, making your stores "high probability target areas". Unfortunately, I will no longer be giving any of my business to a company that spits on mine, as well as their own employee's, Constitutional rights.
    -----
    Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    Here is my letter... What do you think? I am still figuring out the best way to write these...
    1. Your statements on offering therapy, etc., don't really add much to the letter, but make it sound as if you are trying to run their company.

2. Has Walgreens posted their stores? I have no idea, because we don't shop there. Your statement that they are spitting on your rights presumes that they are posted. If they are, this idea could stay in, if they aren't, I would pull it. If it stays in, I would reword it. Spits, while a valid adjective, is a bit pejorative. You could just as easily say they don't recognize your right rather than spits on it.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've OC'd at our local Walgreen's stores with no issue. So company wide I don't think they are anti for customers. As far as lawsuits, I'd bet he was violating a employee policy by carrying. If you choose to do that you have to live with the consequences. Which are typically to be fired. He needs to find a small local pharmacy that would actually want him to carry. I'll likely do less business with them though, which isn't saying much in my case. I go to a small local drug store for most of my prescription.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

ksholder, thanks for the input! Although I feel as though I clearly stated that I was giving an example of what I would have done with an employee of mine...as far as the therapy goes. But I see what you are saying....

what email address are y'all using for Walgreens -- I don't want to send my thoughts to the customer service one on their website.

Wow! What an example of stupidity. An employee keeps customers safe and protects himself and what does he get? Fired! What crap! I hope the community rally's around him and boycotts the store. Imagine the impact of zero sales. Sends a great message. He will get another job easily as there are many chains and with hope they will treat him better.

Good buy Walgreens!! No more business for you. These damn businesses better stop trampling our second amendment rights or I won't have many places to shop. Except the gun store of course.....
    glock27mark likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

You have to be alive to be fired.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links