Man’s concealed handgun saves him and his dog - Page 2

Man’s concealed handgun saves him and his dog

This is a discussion on Man’s concealed handgun saves him and his dog within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Great story and I appreciate the post. I don’t always carry my gun while I’m out on my dog walks but I always carry my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Man’s concealed handgun saves him and his dog

VIP Member
    Great story and I appreciate the post. I don’t always carry my gun while I’m out on my dog walks but I always carry my pepper blaster. This thread will likely have me carrying my snub on all future walks. BTW: I recall being approached by an unfriendly dog and I had nothing on me. It was the only day in memory that I left the house without the spray.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I agree with dukalmighty... If an assailant with an edged weapon is running toward you, deadly force is a reasonable response. A dog's mouth is a whole array of edged weapons, wielded by an assailant who is faster, stronger, and not in the least bit concerned with the consequences of killing you. Multiply this by three??? Start sending rounds into the targets as soon as they are within range!! And be prepared to reload. This is a perfect example of the need for a high capacity gun. Target is smaller than man-sized, faster and more elusive than a man, and perhaps more vicious than a man. It may take multiple shots to hit these targets, and multiple hits to stop them....
    red13 likes this.

Administrator
    "When 3 pit bulls stage surprise attack"

Sometimes if you just think happy & nonviolent thoughts and say out-loud (but softly) in your most pleasant & harmonious voice: "Nice Doggies....Nice Doggies" - they will sense your inner peace and tranquility and will immediately halt their attack, remain still, and want you to pet, frolic, and play with them.

That is the very best time to quickly shoot all three of them in the head.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    AZNAV...if I didnt know you better that post would have riled me up...

Sorry, HG, it was a brief San Francisco moment. I'm seeking help.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Every time there's a pit bull attack story the fans of the breed come out of the woodwork to defend them as loving and playful. Trying to keep an open mind (thinking of parallels drawn to the anti-gun crusaders)... why are there so many attacks by pit bulls, if it not in that breed's DNA? I don't buy the "irresponsible owner" argument fully; there have to be proportionately as many irresponsible owners of Labs and cocker spaniels as there irresponsible owners of pit bulls.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    The key is in the statistic. Pit bulls are the #1 in fatal attacks with rottweillers right behind them. Golden retrievers and labs are actually far higher in number of attacks/dog bites than any other breeds (because they're so common); they just tend to bite/attack then stop when confronted with force.

The problem with pit bulls, rottweillers, dobermans, and german shepherds is that once they decide to attack they are very good at finishing what they started. This is because they have all been bred to be tenacious in the face of danger (they are war dogs, guard dogs, etc.). In the case of the pit bull, whether they attack depends on the breeding line (since they have been bred as fighting dogs for the last 50 - 60 years it's hard to find a mild mannered line but they do exist) and the responsibility of the owner. A lot of people (not all) buy one of these dogs as a sign of machismo and treat them accordingly. "I don't want a pansy dog. The tougher the better." Personally, I don't trust a single pit bull that I see on the street or park and probably never will (unless the breeding and ownership changes dramatically).

That being said, Petey was a pit bull so they haven't always been this way.

Last edited by gruntingfrog; May 22nd, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I, typically, am amazed at how fast some people want to shoot a dog because it ran toward them, .... blah blah blah, when knowing how to handle dogs or react to them would resolve 99% of most situations.

HOWEVER, there are TIMES.... when a gun and deadly force is the solution. This one sure sounds like one of them... and really was amazed that they did all they did initially trying to stop the attack. The owner should have never had them unleased..... and with 3 , you get the 'pack' mentality, so what one does.... they all do, unfortunately. Geez, the guy sure gave it his all before he shot, and I"m not sure I would have gone thru all that before shooting them.

Glad that he and his GS, came out of it OK.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

RKM
    I for one think Pit Bulls can actually be good dogs. I've been around a few that were just big, sweet, lovable piles of pure muscle. But, I'd never even think about owning three. Even if it was just one dog that initiated the attack, dogs have a pack mentality and they're all join in. Dog's thrive off each others behavior. Having three Pit Bulls is asking for trouble.

EDIT: DIdn't read before I posted. I agree 100% with Eagleks.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Every time there's a pit bull attack story the fans of the breed come out of the woodwork to defend them as loving and playful. Trying to keep an open mind (thinking of parallels drawn to the anti-gun crusaders)... why are there so many attacks by pit bulls, if it not in that breed's DNA? I don't buy the "irresponsible owner" argument fully; there have to be proportionately as many irresponsible owners of Labs and cocker spaniels as there irresponsible owners of pit bulls.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    I do. People get that kind of dog because they WANT it to be mean. In my experience, it's the classic redneck type dog. Then they yell at it and/or hit it, sometimes in a poor form of "training" sometimes intentionally trying to "toughen it up" and then they let it run loose because they think dogs don't deserve to be on leashes. OR alternately they keep it on a chain and tell everyone who comes close how mean it is. It's a status symbol, a macho symbol, a phallic symbol to them. I am having trouble with one that lives down the street. He's actually a really good dog, and could be awesome if his owners would keep him home (and neutering him would be nice too....but that's against the phallic symbol thing) BUT he's killed 5 of my chickens that I know of, and suspected a few others. He would be a FINE dog if his owners would be responsible and keep him home.
    I delivered pizza to this redneck chick in a trailer and I parked my truck kinda close to the dog, pitty on a chain. She told me I should "be careful" around her mean dog. Dog didn't act aggressive in the SLIGHtest way, but she wanted to convince me he was mean.
    There's one that lives a street over from us, and he gets out occasionally, but I don't think of him as a problem (he's not allowed to roam all day every day like the chicken-killer is). I've met him loose while walking my dogs, and he wasn't unusually aggressive with me or my dogs either.
    My aunt has one named Snickers, she's smart and protective, and lives in the house not allowed to roam loose.
    We've met other large dogs loose at the park and the owners say stuff like "I bet you were scared" etc. ---- the owners want you to think their dog is mean.
    That's been my experience. Never met a truly mean pitty (yet), just stupid people that own them for stupid reasons.
    Old School and joker1 like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Cool

Excellent post Tala.

Here is my daughter with our new grandson and Sasha her bluenose.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I work for a large package delivery company, and have had some dog issues over the years. Most dogs are fine but there are some mean ones. The thing is this, I am on the dogs perceived property. In my opinion to have three pit bulls unleashed in a public place is irresponsible.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I completely agree it is the owner and not just the breed. Sure breed has a little to do with it. But the dogs are doing what they do best, they are running around in packs doing natures intended business and that is hunt and defend their territory.

The owner of those pits should be dealt with on a level that is equivalent to the damages done. Period. My Doberman wouldn't hurt a fly and if she was capable of it she would be much more responsibly supervised.

I hate when people who do not understand animals go all Brady bunch on em'. Stop watching animal planet and start reading books or freaking raise some animals for a change.

Gruntingfrog said he didnt trust a single pitbull on the streets, well I dont trust a single dog on the street much less their owners. Atleast I know the dog will not pull a gun and try and shoot me. I can deal with the dog, its the lunatic dog owner that worries me more

And in closing of my comments on this article.........

How can this hurt you?? (This is my little girl, shes bigger now, looks much meaner, but shes a sweet heart)
    gruntingfrog likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Well, here's a video from the news footage...Not only was he legally carrying his firearm...he has the concealed weapons badge to back it up!!!

Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Great video. The Pit Bulls' owner is clueless. He'll probably lose the wounded dog in the end...and maybe much more.
    OTH, that badge isn't going to do the shooter any good...at least it didn't with me.
    But I give him credit for using less than deadly force at the beginning.
    It'll be interesting to see how all this turns out.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Great video. The Pit Bulls' owner is clueless. He'll probably lose the wounded dog in the end...and maybe much more.
    OTH, that badge isn't going to do the shooter any good...at least it didn't with me.
    But I give him credit for using less than deadly force at the beginning.
    It'll be interesting to see how all this turns out.
    I agree, that dude (pit bulls' owner) found himself tap dancing for the reporter. Maybe, trying to cover his behind. It would be interesting to know how everything ends.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

TOF
    I completely agree the Pit's should have been on leash and under owner control but I can't help but wonder if the Shepherd was truly under control.

When I play fetch with my dog he is running loose so he can go get it. He is also in my yard or in the deep woods where other dogs are not present.

If my dog is leashed and other dogs are not and attack I am guiltless. I believe however if my dog was loose as well I would have to share some blame for the fight.

aznav likes this.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links