Manís concealed handgun saves him and his dog - Page 3

Manís concealed handgun saves him and his dog

This is a discussion on Manís concealed handgun saves him and his dog within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by TOF I completely agree the Pit's should have been on leash and under owner control but I can't help but wonder if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Manís concealed handgun saves him and his dog

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I completely agree the Pit's should have been on leash and under owner control but I can't help but wonder if the Shepherd was truly under control.

When I play fetch with my dog he is running loose so he can go get it. He is also in my yard or in the deep woods where other dogs are not present.

If my dog is leashed and other dogs are not and attack I am guiltless. I believe however if my dog was loose as well I would have to share some blame for the fight.

Touchť, Toff.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    the 45 acp was designed to stop a charging horse.
    LOLOLOLOL--No it wasn't. Well, if it was, it failed. It started as a solution to the Moro tribesman in the Phillipines. They got coked up and tied off their limbs and the .38 just couldn't put them down reliably. The USMC went to .45 Long Colt and that helped a bunch, then along came the .45 ACP and that was a nice compromise. NOT charging horses.

Now, having been the owner of a pit bull before all the stuff started about them--they are incredible dogs. Mine were loyal and loving, but it's like having a cougar in your house. It may be loyal and loving,but it's horribly capable. If it ever decided to take you, it could. So can pit bulls. If I ever run into one that looks like he's after me or my dog, the .40 is gonna start flying.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

! had a run in with an Irish Wolfhound. I was delivering a large potted plant to a house as decor for a wedding. I noticed a large dog on the property but it did not appear aggressive or even bark at me. As I walked around the rear of the house, the critter snuck up behind me and nipped me right on the ass, then took off running like I had tried to kill him. Fortunately he was a puppy, but still a very large dog. I never ever heard him coming.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    ! had a run in with an Irish Wolfhound. I was delivering a large potted plant to a house as decor for a wedding. I noticed a large dog on the property but it did not appear aggressive or even bark at me. As I walked around the rear of the house, the critter snuck up behind me and nipped me right on the ass, then took off running like I had tried to kill him. Fortunately he was a puppy, but still a very large dog. I never ever heard him coming.
    As a runner who has covered many miles in many environments, I've come across more than my share of dogs. I've found that the barking, growling dog is the one I'm least worried about. It's the dog that doesn't make any sound, except for (hopefully) a tinkling collar, that concerns me. Your best bet is to stop, remain motionless and try to avoid eye contact. Most dogs, unless they're in a pair/pack, will walk away. If you are going to run/walk in an unfamiliar area/neighborhood, your best bet is to prepare by first driving around and checking it out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Great story and I appreciate the post. I donít always carry my gun while Iím out on my dog walks but I always carry my pepper blaster. This thread will likely have me carrying my snub on all future walks. BTW: I recall being approached by an unfriendly dog and I had nothing on me. It was the only day in memory that I left the house without the spray.
    sound like you have the same first-name relationship with Mr. Murphy that I have

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan
    LOLOLOLOL--No it wasn't. Well, if it was, it failed. It started as a solution to the Moro tribesman in the Phillipines. They got coked up and tied off their limbs and the .38 just couldn't put them down reliably. The USMC went to .45 Long Colt and that helped a bunch, then along came the .45 ACP and that was a nice compromise. NOT charging horses.
    I'm sure Dukalmighty was joking and that he knows the history of .45acp, I think he was showing sarcasm towards the awesome-wonder-bullet-one-shot-stop-everything-they-all-fall-to-hardball-mine-is-bigger-than-yours-45 followers
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I'd have no problem shooting a dog. I'm not much of a dog person myself anyway. I like cats and I like birds. I used to keep ducks in my back yard and I have a 4-ft chainlink fence all the way around my yard. Yet, a few years ago a mysterious dog jumped over the fence and killed one of my ducks. It got away, then kept coming back and killing another one every few days when I wasn't home. Then one day I saw through a window it jumping into my yard and I ran for my gun. The only gun I had at the time was a Glock 19. I ran outside as fast as I could, but it was back over the fence right as I ran outisde. Fortunately I had my ducks in their pen so it couldn't kill the last 2 I had. I would have most definitely killed the thing. I don't know who's dog it was, and that was the last time I ever saw it. Maybe somebody else killed it, or maybe animal control finally picked it up. Not sure, but I'm glad it is gone.

I would never intentionally want to harm somebody's pet. After all, if something happened to my cat I would be in tears. But, as other people have said on here, having a dog means having responsibility. If a person is not willing or able to keep their dog under control and allows is to cause havoc with other people's property, animals, or their person directly, then the consequence will be the dog gets killed.

Now, I have some neighborhood dogs that like to tear my trash up and scatter it all across my lawn the night before the garbage truck comes. I'm sure everyone is familiar with this scenario. I keep an airsoft gun around just for that purpose. It causes the dog pain, makes it run off, but doesn't injure the dog. I won't kill a dog for messing with my trash. But when it crosses a certain line, such as killing my pets, then I cross the line from airsoft to 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    The key is in the statistic. Pit bulls are the #1 in fatal attacks with rottweillers right behind them. Golden retrievers and labs are actually far higher in number of attacks/dog bites than any other breeds (because they're so common); they just tend to bite/attack then stop when confronted with force.

The problem with pit bulls, rottweillers, dobermans, and german shepherds is that once they decide to attack they are very good at finishing what they started. This is because they have all been bred to be tenacious in the face of danger (they are war dogs, guard dogs, etc.). In the case of the pit bull, whether they attack depends on the breeding line (since they have been bred as fighting dogs for the last 50 - 60 years it's hard to find a mild mannered line but they do exist) and the responsibility of the owner. A lot of people (not all) buy one of these dogs as a sign of machismo and treat them accordingly. "I don't want a pansy dog. The tougher the better." Personally, I don't trust a single pit bull that I see on the street or park and probably never will (unless the breeding and ownership changes dramatically).

That being said, Petey was a pit bull so they haven't always been this way.

This is a really good response. I've been trying for some time to form an opinion about Pit Bulls and with the media having such a tendency to blow things out of proportion, it's really hard to get an accurate idea as to what's really going on with Pit Bulls.

Owners do need to be responsible with their dogs regardless of breeds. I also think that some owners might be a little too trusting with their dogs. To the owner, the dog is a member of the family and it might not occur to them that the dog that loves on them might hurt someone else under certain conditions. Assuming that their dog is harmless (because it has been to them...), they allow them to have too much freedom and consequently put other people in danger.

This statement is in addition to what you have said in your post and not intended to be in place of...I whole heartily agree with your comments.

I'm glad everything worked out well considering the circumstances. I hope the gentleman that had to draw does not have to face any repercussions for his actions that I feel were completely justified.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links