Tragic: 89 Dead After Tornado in Joplin, Missouri

This is a discussion on Tragic: 89 Dead After Tornado in Joplin, Missouri within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 89 dead after tornado in Joplin, Missouri; number expected to rise Joplin, Missouri (CNN) -- A tornado that chewed through a densely populated area of ...

Thread: Tragic: 89 Dead After Tornado in Joplin, Missouri

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar

89 dead after tornado in Joplin, Missouri; number expected to rise

Joplin, Missouri (CNN) -- A tornado that chewed through a densely populated area of Joplin, Missouri, killed at least 89 people as it tore apart homes and businesses, ripped into a high school and caused severe damage to one of the two hospitals in the city, officials said Monday.

"Everybody's going to know people who are dead," said CNN iReporter Zach Tusinger, who said his aunt and uncle died in the Sunday night tornado. "You could have probably dropped a nuclear bomb on the town and I don't think it would have done near as much damage as it did."

As many as a quarter of the buildings in the southwest Missouri city suffered major or significant damage, fire and emergency management officials said.

Parts of the city of 50,500 were unrecognizable, according to Steve Polley, a storm chaser from Kansas City, Missouri, who described the damage from the Sunday night tornado as "complete devastation."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My deepest condolences and prayers to all the victims of this terrible tragedy in Missouri. I hope that all of our fellow members from Missouri are safe and sound. Please let us know if there is any way that we can help!

[This kind of tragedy is a an awakening notice for everyone to build or double check their home emergency kit.]
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Prayers sent for all victims and their families! This is going to be a real hard time for the survivors.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's up to 116 as of about 2:00 pm, with more storms coming. I went through there earlier today, and the damage is unreal.

I didn't see the need in starting a new thread on the deadliest tornado outbreak since 1950. My prayers and support for all members and family affected by the devastation nation-wide. Today seems to be the first day in a while things are actually calm in the mid west weather-wise.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I didn't see the need in starting a new thread on the deadliest tornado outbreak since 1950.
    Well, my intention was to check on all our Forum members from Missouri and to send prayers and condolences to all the victims. Nothing wrong with that.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My brother lives in Joplin. He was in Alabama on business trip when it hit. His wife and kids were home alone and had no home protection. I hustled down there with a few weapons and other supplies including gasoline for their generator, several gallons of drinking water and a MIOX water purifier so they can purify as much water as they will need until the boil order is lifted.

His house and garage had some serious roof damage, broken windows and loss of power, however only two blocks away looked like Hiroshima after the Enola Gay paid a visit.

After he arrived home and everything got under control I gave him a no B.S. sermon on not having a means to defend the home either when he is there or away on business. I told him, you aren't gonna be able to call 911 in situations like this!

All in all, he survived with some roof and window damage. But as I said, as close as two blocks over was the main line of total devastation with homes and businesses completely leveled.

Today, the death toll stands at 122, with 1,000 injured and 1,500 people MIA.

I got home late Tuesday night only to deal with tornado warnings of my own yesterday. We had 2 tornado's sighted on the ground just outside my town but thankfully they stayed a couple miles away. They leveled parts of Sedalia and the pictures I've seen looked a lot like Joplin's except on a much smaller scale. The Sedalia tornado was rated an EF2. The Joplin tornado was finally updated and reported as an EF5 which is the highest classification with winds over 200 mph.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links