2010 FBI Annual Crime Report (Preliminary)

This is a discussion on 2010 FBI Annual Crime Report (Preliminary) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those who think the nation is more violent than ever, perhaps it's just the news reports you're watching. Violent crime is down 5.5% nationwide, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2010 FBI Annual Crime Report (Preliminary)

2010 FBI Annual Crime Report (Preliminary)

For those who think the nation is more violent than ever, perhaps it's just the news reports you're watching. Violent crime is down 5.5% nationwide, depending on your city it may have reduced substantially more than that. However, in some cities murder and non-negligent manslaughter were up slightly.

FBI — FBI Releases Preliminary Annual Crime Statistics for 2010

In 2010, all four of the violent crime offense categories—murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault—declined nationwide compared with data from 2009. Murder and non-negligent manslaughter declined 4.4 percent, forcible rape decreased 4.2 percent, robbery declined 9.5 percent, and aggravated assault was down 3.6 percent.

Violent crime declined in all city groups. Cities with populations of 250,000 to 499,999 saw the greatest decline in violent crime (6.9 percent). Violent crime in non-metropolitan counties decreased 6.4 percent, and in metropolitan counties, it declined 6.0 percent.

Murder and non-negligent manslaughter offenses dropped 25.2 percent in the nation’s smallest cities (under 10,000 in population). However, in cities with populations of 250,000 to 499,999, murder and non-negligent manslaughter offenses increased 3.0 percent.

All city and county groupings experienced a decline in forcible rapes except in cities with 500,000 to 999,999 inhabitants, which showed the only rise in forcible rapes (1.9 percent).

Robbery offenses decreased in all city and county groupings, with the largest decrease (10.9 percent) reported in cities with 500,000 to 999,999 inhabitants.

Aggravated assaults decreased in all city groups. Cities with 250,000 to 499,999 inhabitants experienced the greatest decrease (5.5 percent). Aggravated assaults declined in both county groups, with the largest decrease (5.8 percent) reported in non-metropolitan counties.

Violent crime decreased in all four regions of the country in 2010. There was a 7.5 percent decrease in violent crime in the South, a 5.9 decline in the Midwest, a 5.8 percent decrease in the West, and a 0.4 percent decline in the Northeast.

Property Crime

All property crime offense categories—burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft—decreased in 2010 when compared with 2009 data. Motor vehicle theft showed the largest drop (7.2 percent), followed by larceny-theft, which decreased 2.8 percent, and burglary, which declined 1.1 percent.

Property crime decreased in all city groupings. Cities with 500,000 to 999,999 inhabitants had the greatest decrease in property crime (4.0 percent). Property crime decreased 1.9 percent in metropolitan counties but increased 2.0 percent in non-metropolitan counties.

Burglary offenses increased 1.3 percent in cities with 25,000 to 49,999 persons. Burglaries also increased in nonmetropolitan counties by 1.2 percent.

Larceny-theft offenses decreased in all city groupings. However, in non-metropolitan counties, larceny-thefts rose 3.2 percent.

Motor vehicle thefts declined in all population groupings. Cities with less than 10,000 inhabitants experienced the greatest decline (10.8 percent). Metropolitan counties reported a 6.9 percent decrease in motor vehicle thefts.

All four of the nation’s regions had decreases in property crime in 2010 when compared with data from 2009. The greatest decrease in 2010 was in the South, where property crime was down 3.8 percent, followed by a 2.7 percent decline in the Midwest, a 2.5 percent decrease in the West, and a 0.5 percent decrease in the Northeast.

Arson

Arson offenses, tracked separately from other property crimes, decreased 8.3 percent nationwide. Arson offenses declined in all four regions in 2010, with the West experiencing the largest decrease (13.9 percent).
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

I'd be surprised if the increase in people carrying weapons, or buying them for their homes didn't have a good part in this report.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This is something I suspect will be studied by many of those who study such things for quite some time to come. These trends make one reconsider the seemingly common expectation that crimes tend to rise during economic recessions. Even non-violent property crimes have decreased slightly.

Still, I don't think these stats reflect that some of those who are committing crimes these days are not those who may have committed crimes when times were good; i.e., some people who may had "on the edge" personalities before may sort of snap with no job, no house, etc.

Although this is good news, I can't help but wonder if this is simply due to the population ageing?
    hamlet likes this.

VIP Member
    As a former exec, I always questioned the data lineage when presented with numbers and stats. The person presenting the data in the Powerpoint always had an agenda. Sometimes the agenda was transparent (trying to sell me something), sometimes it wasn't. In almost every case, I found that the data was skewed to suit the purpose of the presenter.

"Statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics." or as Ronny used to say "Trust, yet verify".
    Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Although this is good news, I can't help but wonder if this is simply due to the population ageing?
    That's a very good point!

Well, after California lets go it's 36,000 felons, and the other States decide to follow suit to save money, the figures will change.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Anyone find it funny that the area with the smallest decrease was the northeast, which has the most restrictive gun laws?

Camden gives other cities a goal to SHOOT for.
    Old School likes this.

Very good point Swinokur, I think you nailed that one.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    While most violent crime stats show a decrease in the city of Minneapolis, Minnesota, murder actually doubled from 2009 stats (40 from 19). I guess we were outside the curve vis--vis the FBI's 3% average in large cities.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Or the unreported crime between criminals and gangs. Mr. Gangbanger isn't going to report something a rival gang did. He just goes and retaliates in person. Frankly as long as they keep it between themselves I'm happy to see scum kill themselves off.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they show is suggestive, but what they conceal is even more important.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Anyone find it funny that the area with the smallest decrease was the northeast, which has the most restrictive gun laws?

Camden gives other cities a goal to SHOOT for.
    Don't go there........

In part this is because the NE had lower violent crime over-all rates for years - and still does - compared to most other areas. States with highest murder rates are in South if I remember correctly.

The report reported percent reductions,, not total crimes

You'll need cites for this.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    The report reported percent reductions,, not total crimes

You'll need cites for this.
    You can find the actual reported crime statistics here. Table 4 is what you're looking for.
    FBI — Downloads
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

The data is skewed. Remove the big cities on the coast and crime is up. There was also a change in the way crime was reported. Some of the violent crimes are now classified as non-violent if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links