Tucson Shooter Found Not Competent To Stand Trial!

Tucson Shooter Found Not Competent To Stand Trial!

This is a discussion on Tucson Shooter Found Not Competent To Stand Trial! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From CNN.COM............... Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Jared Lee Loughner, accused in January's mass shooting in which he allegedly tried to assassinate a congresswoman, isn't competent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tucson Shooter Found Not Competent To Stand Trial!

VIP Member

Lightbulb Tucson Shooter Found Not Competent To Stand Trial!

From CNN.COM...............

Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Jared Lee Loughner, accused in January's mass shooting in which he allegedly tried to assassinate a congresswoman, isn't competent to stand trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

The judge said he based his decision on a mental evaluation of Loughner.

During his hearing, Loughner was removed by marshals from the courtroom after an outburst, in which one reporter heard him say, "Thank you for the freak show. She died right in front of me," and "You're changing."

After the recess, U.S. District Judge Larry Burns asked Loughner if he wanted to watch the remainder of the proceedings on a television monitor, Loughner said yes, and he was removed from courtroom.

The hearing was held on whether Loughner is mentally competent to stand trial on charges of trying to assassinate a congresswoman.

Loughner, 22, of Tucson, Arizona, faces multiple charges -- including murder and attempted murder -- related to the January 8 mass shooting in a grocery store parking lot in Tucson.

He entered the courtroom Wednesday no longer bald and clean-shaven, as he was depicted in his mug shot shortly after the shootings. Loughner now has a full head of hair, along with facial hair.
    Loughner e-mails released
    Kennedy's sympathy for shooter
    RELATED TOPICS

Jared Loughner
    2011 Tucson Shooting
    Gabrielle Giffords

Burns is expected to consider the results of a mental evaluation that Loughner underwent in Springfield, Missouri.

Loughner is charged with killing six people and wounding 13 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, who was holding a meet-and-greet with constituents at the time. Authorities say Giffords was the target of the attack.

Loughner was indicted in March on 49 counts, including murder and attempted murder. He has been ordered to undergo a mental evaluation to help a judge determine if he is competent to stand trial in the case.

Loughner is accused of killing John M. Roll, a federal district judge; Gabriel M. Zimmerman, a staff member for Giffords; Dorothy J. Morris; Phyllis C. Schneck; Dorwan C. Stoddard; and 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green.

Loughner has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Shot through the head and brain, Giffords is recovering from surgery that implanted a synthetic bone and a shunt in her skull, her doctors said last week.

She was in attendance last week when the space shuttle Endeavour took off with her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, in command.

Among those attending Wednesday's hearing was Susan Hileman, 58, who was wounded in the shooting, and her husband, Bill. Susan Hileman was the neighbor who brought 9-year-old Christina to the supermarket meet-and-greet with Giffords.

Christina has often been remembered as the child shooting victim who was born on September 11, 2001.

Also attending were friends and co-workers of Judge Roll, whose courtroom was in the same courthouse as Wednesday's hearing.

Judge rules Loughner is not competent to stand trial - CNN.com
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No suprise there, you mean he's crazy? Doh!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

He was competent enough to plan the attack,purchase a handgun and call a cab to take him to the store.He knew what he was doing was Illegal and Immoral.I ain't buying it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think the bigger question is, with his past record with the Community College and Police interactions how was he able to pass the NICS and buy a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I think the bigger question is, with his past record with the Community College and Police interactions how was he able to pass the NICS and buy a handgun?
    He did not commit any crimes at this point. Although he was told to get a mental health veal before returning to campus, there was no way to enforce this directive off campus. IMO, colleges should not have that kind of authority.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

mel
    This guy is a waste of space, put him in a padded room for the rest of his life. First time he asks to get out, put him on trial, and then to the chair.

VIP Member
    Loughner commited his attack and murders in front of numerous witnesses leaving no doubt as to his guilt, I say save the taxpayers some money and just put him down same as a rabid dog.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Folks:

Just because a person is as crazy as a loon and has real problems connecting with reality, does not mean that they are stupid or incapable of some inteligent thought in order to plan something. The bigger problem we have as a society is how to balance individual freedoms, the RTBA and at the same time protecting society from folks who have no real foothold on reality. I don't have any smart answers--but I can see at least a portion of the problem....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    This guy is a waste of space, put him in a padded room for the rest of his life. First time he asks to get out, put him on trial, and then to the chair.
    Then he's a waste of money too. I vote for rope. It's cheaper. Hell, I'll even donate it for the cause!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I don't care if he is crazy, give him the guillotine. He was crazy enough to commit the crime; he's crazy enough to suffer the consequences.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Typical lunatic defense strategy.

"I'm crazy, therefore I have no responsibility for what I did and I cannot stand trial for my crime."

I think he is perfectly normal but wants to act "crazy" when he is brought before the authorities for trial. I believe he should be tried, found guilty and punished. This type of defense it getting rather worn out.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

There is a "permanent" cure for his type of insanity.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    If he was a "radical right" person he would be going to trial but, he was a totally radical left wing nut job so it all just needs to "quietly go away."

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Then he's a waste of money too. I vote for rope. It's cheaper. Hell, I'll even donate it for the cause!
    1 Hornaday Critical Defense .45=$1

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'll give them a box of .22lrs, and let them borrow my rifle. Or, better yet, I'll use my rifle and STILL give them a box of 22lrs. Either way, it's still only about 1/3 of a penny to save thousands on putting the sorry POS up with three squares and a roof overhead for life.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links