Good: Good guy brings knife to a gun fight...and wins!

This is a discussion on Good: Good guy brings knife to a gun fight...and wins! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link to article: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/may/2...ry-ar-1900394/ According to the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office early Saturday morning officials responded to 468 Willimon Drive in Piedmont in reference to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Good: Good guy brings knife to a gun fight...and wins!

Link to article: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/may/2...ry-ar-1900394/

According to the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office early Saturday morning officials responded to 468 Willimon Drive in Piedmont in reference to a juvenile subject suffering from stab wounds.

EMS responded and transported the juvenile to the Greenville Memorial Hospital where he is listed in serious but stable condition.

During the investigation Deputies have determined that the juvenile who had been stabbed accompanied by two other juveniles had broken into a home at 82 Winston Avenue.

The victim who resides at 82 Winston Avenue stated that when he pulled up in the yard he observed two subjects running from his yard. The victim then began to chase them until he thought they had run into a wooded area.

The victim then stated that after he began to walk back towards his home, one of the juvenile subjects approached him and pointed a gun at him at which time they began to struggle. During the struggle the victim stabbed the juvenile suspect. The juvenile suspect began running and screaming and once he reached 82 Winston Avenue he collapsed.

According to Investigators who responded to scene the juvenile with the gun was 15 years age and he was accompanied by two 12 year olds.

The 15 year old was the one who suffered several stab wounds. It has also been determined that an 18 year old, Jamique Mathious Mills of Piedmont, had given the 15 year old a handgun for the sole purpose of engaging in this offense with the two 12 year olds.

Deputies have charged arrested Mills on one count of Unlawful Delivery of a Pistol and three counts of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor.

Mills have been placed in the Greenville County Detention awaiting a bond hearing. Deputies continue to investigate.

The three juveniles have been referred to Family Court.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out for the victim.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    1. Not sure about the wisdom of chasing these home invaders--he MAY have looked at them and thought "Kids!! I'll catch 'em!" (assuming that they really were not a physical threat)

2. The 15 year old had a handgun--kids CAN be just as, or MORE dangerous than adults......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Chasing down the suspects and either shooting or stabbing them could have legal problems attached. I suppose that one could still claim self-defense, but in my book, that's crossing a thin line...especially if one is NOT in TX...I'm just sayin'... I'm still glad that the home owner is alive and well, and the little dirtbags were caught.
    Spade115 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Jamique Mathious ,must be Swahili for dumb ass
    paaiyan, Spade115 and GoBigOrange like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Knife? I take a battleaxe everywhere I go. In my car... I bring it in when home. If I need it, it's handy.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    2. The 15 year old had a handgun--kids CAN be just as, or MORE dangerous than adults......
    Ditto. I think some people underestimate the danger that can come from kids. Would it really matter to you if you were killed by a kid or an adult? Dead is dead. Treat all threats with appropriate discernment.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Chasing down the suspects and either shooting or stabbing them could have legal problems attached.
    Ditto again. When they ran away, the threat ran away. At least this is the way I think a court of law would see it. Texas is a lot more lenient than a lot of other states so you may get by with it in TX but not here in KY.

I'm afraid that had I taken a gun away from a 15 year old kid who pointed it at me after breaking into my house they would have had to surgically remove it from his Dark Region. After I pulled the trigger.

Young Career Criminals in the making. Teach them a hard lesson early and may be they will grow up to be productive Adults.
    That or plant them now!
    As for the 18 year old who gave them the gun for the Robbery, hang his ass!

I sure wouldn't have had to stab that punk, because my gun would have been the first thing I reached for.

I hope is was a big knife!

Missed Opportunity to Retire a Budding Carrer Criminal!
    Last edited by Curt58; May 30th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

VIP Member
    Glad the good guy came away unscathed; for now.

I'd like to get an update as to wether he has charges brought upon him.

Seems like a dicey situation.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Chasing the home invaders into the woods is understandable - though perhaps unwise. When the homeowner breaks off the chase and starts walking back to his house (not running to arm himself), I would say the incident is over.

A second incident arises when one of the perps accosts the homeowner with a gun. The homeowner, on his own property - his castle, so to speak - is obviously in fear of his life, and uses the only weapon he has at hand to defend himself... or so I would argue.

Assuming all facts as stated are true (and they seem at least consistent), I don't see where the homeowner will have any difficulties defending his actions. Still, there is the inconvenience of the entire episode, the legal aftermath, lawyer's fees, and likely public excoriation for daring to defend himself against 'a mere child'. It's worth pointing out, though, that the homeowner didn't suffer any bullet wounds (which are reportedly fatal in some cases!).

FWIW...

(QUOTE) A second incident arises when one of the perps accosts the homeowner with a gun. The homeowner, on his own property - his castle, so to speak - is obviously in fear of his life, and uses the only weapon he has at hand to defend himself... or so I would argue.

Good point fledermaus. The 15 year old approched the homeowner with a handgun and the homeowner becomes the victim of assault with a deadly weapon and defends himself. I see no problem here.

If you have to use a knife to defend yourself , slashing (neck , inner arms , inner thighs) is a better method then stabbing in most cases as it promotes greater blood loss in the shortest amount of time.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Gah. What's with people chasing down 'suspects'? Don't do it, unless you see the guy get up from the bloody body of your loved one and run. Otherwise you don't know what happened and the imminent threat is gone.

Generally speaking, for the individual, foot pursuits, especially of multiple suspects, is a bad idea. Even many LE agencies have put restrictions on foot pursuits.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    The owner/victim is lucky to have walked away from this one in spite of his actions. Nothing noted on whether he will escape any charges himself, though.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I appreciate that the article consistantly refered to the "victim" and the "suspect" making it clear that the self-defense was not a crime and that the suspect was not a "victim."
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links