Why does one need a magazine that holds more than ten rounds? - Page 2

Why does one need a magazine that holds more than ten rounds?

This is a discussion on Why does one need a magazine that holds more than ten rounds? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Knightrider 15-20 males walking towards me would be a sign of a very bad day. You can say that again!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why does one need a magazine that holds more than ten rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    15-20 males walking towards me would be a sign of a very bad day.
    You can say that again!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I just procured a S&W 5906 with 17 rd Mec-Gar magazine. I'll start toting it as soon as my UBG Canute comes in (Nate emailed me it's on the way). With home invasions by multiple offenders on the rise, hi cap mags should be mandatory.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

As nice as extra mags are...a BUG is faster than a reload. :)

why can't it be about "want" not "need" everything else in our government is -??
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Zombies. They come in the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Of course, it goes without saying (story being from Chicago) it would also be good to have a gun to put any magazine into.

"Police say the teens were part of a mob of between 15 and 20 men and boys connected to four attacks..."
    Because I want as many as my pistol can hold.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm a noob.

I came to the gun-world really only about 6 months ago. Prior to that, I'd shot maybe once every other year or even more infrequently, on fun trips to the range, with gun-owning friends.

My current true-EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact. I'm proficient with the 9x19, and I am comfortable with the terminal ballistics of my chosen SD/HD ammo (147 gr. Federal HST or Speer GDHP). Wth the "flush" magazine, it holds 13 rounds, plus one in the chamber.

I carry a spare full-sized 19-round magazine, topped-off. Ostensibly for malfunctions, but also in that I have, as a beginner in all of this, sought professional instruction, and I know from Force-on-Force training just how fast those rounds in the gun can disappear.

Granted, I'm not likely going to ever be involved in as desperate a situation as what I've trained for...but then again, I don't carry based on odds, either.

And who knows, maybe we'll see zombies, after all!

But in all honesty, I don't think that some 30+ rounds is necessary. In reality, I just want as much as my gun will hold. If that's 6+1, then that's 6+1 (when I carry my Kahr PM9, that's what it is in the gun, and there's then only 7 rounds off to the other side as my spare). As much as the gun/magazine will take, I will take with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Agreed. There was a show called "After Armageddon" that I caught the other week that was dealing with apocalyptic kind of stuff. There was a guy on there that said that a lot of people go on about how much more civilized we are today than, say compared to people that lived 100s of yrs ago. I don't remember what he said word for word but the gist of what he said was; we're nice as long as things are going well and we're being fed, etc. He said, take away our credit cards, our comforts, amenities, etc. and you may be surprised at how nasty we would become.

I do think that if things got bad that we would see a dramatic increase in violence. Even if it was short while and we knew it was going to be short while, I bet people would be nasty.

DCG
    Thats pretty much a given scenario, if something was to happen and water and food and other necessitys were in very short supply things would get ugly real fast.

Because my EDC is a 17+1 9MM G-19 and the reload is a 33 Round mag all stoked with Cor-Bon 115Gr. DPX boolits. Enough for everyone!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Start dropping BGs like sand bags and some of them are going to run. They have no idea how many rounds my mag holds or how many mags I have.
    8th ID likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I'm a noob.

I came to the gun-world really only about 6 months ago. Prior to that, I'd shot maybe once every other year or even more infrequently, on fun trips to the range, with gun-owning friends.

My current true-EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact. I'm proficient with the 9x19, and I am comfortable with the terminal ballistics of my chosen SD/HD ammo (147 gr. Federal HST or Speer GDHP). Wth the "flush" magazine, it holds 13 rounds, plus one in the chamber.

I carry a spare full-sized 19-round magazine, topped-off. Ostensibly for malfunctions, but also in that I have, as a beginner in all of this, sought professional instruction, and I know from Force-on-Force training just how fast those rounds in the gun can disappear.

Granted, I'm not likely going to ever be involved in as desperate a situation as what I've trained for...but then again, I don't carry based on odds, either.

And who knows, maybe we'll see zombies, after all!

But in all honesty, I don't think that some 30+ rounds is necessary. In reality, I just want as much as my gun will hold. If that's 6+1, then that's 6+1 (when I carry my Kahr PM9, that's what it is in the gun, and there's then only 7 rounds off to the other side as my spare). As much as the gun/magazine will take, I will take with me.
    I have a ruger P89 and love the gun. It has a 30 round mag. To be honest if I could conceal it I would carry it with the 30 round in it. You just never know what will be necessary.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links