Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door - Page 3

Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door

This is a discussion on Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep, more to the story A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door

Yep, more to the story

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. The official would not say specifically why the raid took place. He did say the search was not related to student loans in default.

He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid.
    http://www.news10.net/news/article/1...-Stockton-home

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Not that much more...
    You know, something else just occured to me, as I read through this story one more time...if you leave your child in a car for 5 minutes to run into a store for a loaf of bread, you're charged with child endangerment, or if you leave your dog in the car you're charged with animal cruelty...so our government in their infinite wisdom can leave an innocent man and his three children in a hot car for six hours and it's OK??? I'm gonna have to get away from this thread...I just keep getting more and more angry
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

UMMM it was not a swat team and it is more than likely for embezzlement and defrauding the government to obtain money..... it was more media sensationalizing..... granted like I said before:

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Simply sending one or two officers to knock on the door, Kindly explain they were there serving a warrant and taking the wife into custody would have sufficed.

VIP Member
    Link in OP is down. Probably because everything in it was total BS...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It looks like it's some kind of fraud case where someone applies for a loan the pockets the cash. That would merit an arrest warrant, but why that arrest would require a SWAT team is beyond me; could simply boil down to federal warrant serving policy.

The one thing that is stated clearly is that this is not about collecting on a defaulted student loan. Everything else is simply assumed.
    John Luttrell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Not that much more...
    You know, something else just occured to me, as I read through this story one more time...if you leave your child in a car for 5 minutes to run into a store for a loaf of bread, you're charged with child endangerment, or if you leave your dog in the car you're charged with animal cruelty...so our government in their infinite wisdom can leave an innocent man and his three children in a hot car for six hours and it's OK??? I'm gonna have to get away from this thread...I just keep getting more and more angry
    Yes, THAT much more. The entire basis of the original article - SWAT team coming to collect on defaulted student loans - was entirely, completely, and 100% incorrect. How much "that much more" can there be?

Also, it's dangerous to leave people/children alone in cars that are OFF, without the AC on, alone. Do you really think that's what happened here? Also also, nowhere did it even SAY that the children were in any cars, anywhere, just the adult. Perhaps you should take your break time from this thread to brush up on reading comprehension skills...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    UMMM it was not a swat team and it is more than likely for embezzlement and defrauding the government to obtain money..... it was more media sensationalizing..... granted like I said before:
    Thank you for sticking with it and updating
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Also, it's dangerous to leave people/children alone in cars that are OFF, without the AC on, alone. Do you really think that's what happened here? Also also, nowhere did it even SAY that the children were in any cars, anywhere, just the adult. Perhaps you should take your break time from this thread to brush up on reading comprehension skills...
    From the article in post 31 - "According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children, ages 3, 7, and 11, and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house. 'They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids,' Wright said."

I still have not seen anything that justified a no-knock raid. It may come out, but it has not yet.

From Yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...oan-defaulters

"The raid was related to a criminal investigation of Wright's wife."
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Yes, they put him in with the kids. But then he says they left him in the car, and traumatized the kids. If they had left his kids in a dangerously hot car for six hours, I think he would have mentioned that. Of course, that's possible, but it seems very unlikely.

And I still haven't seen anything to indicate that it WAS a NKW. The article says he was coming downstairs when they knocked his door in...generally, police must wait "a reasonable amount of time" for someone to respond/come to the door after knocking and announcing. That is generally accepted to be around 15-30 seconds. If the homeowner was asleep or in a location far from the door, it may have been that he simply didn't respond in time, and the agents took the door. It doesn't have to be an NKW in order to forcibly enter...

VIP Member
    Yes, they put him in with the kids. But then he says they left him in the car, and traumatized the kids. If they had left his kids in a dangerously hot car for six hours, I think he would have mentioned that. Of course, that's possible, but it seems very unlikely.
    So, if daddy was in the car for 6 hours, and they initially put the kids in, then took them out - who do you suppose supervised them, especially the 3 year old? I seriously doubt the feds did that and I doubt the Stockton cop did either.

And I still haven't seen anything to indicate that it WAS a NKW. The article says he was coming downstairs when they knocked his door in...generally, police must wait "a reasonable amount of time" for someone to respond/come to the door after knocking and announcing. That is generally accepted to be around 15-30 seconds. If the homeowner was asleep or in a location far from the door, it may have been that he simply didn't respond in time, and the agents took the door. It doesn't have to be an NKW in order to forcibly enter...
    I never said it was a NK warrant, simply a NK raid. I have not seen any evidence that the feds knocked, they may have, but it has not been reported anywhere that they did. At 0630 hours, I doubt many of us would find 15-30 seconds adequate to get to our front door to answer a knock - if we heard one. The article also indicates it took at least 3 bangs with the ram to break in. The bigger problem is that the crimes that, per the latest articles, the crimes that the IG investigates for the DOE are white collar crimes. These could just as easily be served in a civil manner. Additionally, if cops/feds are going to go around knocking down doors, they darn sure better have the right address for the suspect. In this case it does not appear they did.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    Good grief, how much clearer do I need to be? This forum is not the place for these stories. It is for self defense stories and self defense stories only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    We are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "In the News" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the US.

While I appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, I believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    stop posting any old news story here. This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting. This has been made clear in the past, but its getting out of hand again.

so, those who cant abide by the rules will be given infractions and will no longer be able to post here. This is the warning.
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links