Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy - Page 3

Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy

This is a discussion on Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unfortunately there are reports that the guy had a NYS pistol license and shot the individuals with a licensed 45 caliber handgun. If this is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy

Unfortunately there are reports that the guy had a NYS pistol license and shot the individuals with a licensed 45 caliber handgun. If this is true it could be a real setback for advancing 2nd Amendment rights in NYS.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

pharmacy massacre

Four individuals were shot to death Sunday morning in Medford, N.Y. drugstore. The incident left every person in the store killed. Police say it was a theft gone terribly. Two of the killed were customers at the store, and two were employees. I read this here: Four dead in New York pharmacy shooting

Just thought that I would update this thread. The police have caught the man that they think was the shooter.

Man charged in New York pharmacy killings to be arraigned - CNN.com

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Any members live in Suffolk County? Describe to these kind people the hoops you have to go through in order to get a permit...and a 'Business' Carry.....

From SCPD Website...
    REQUIREMENTS FOR SELF PROTECTION - FULL CARRY LICENSE
    SELF-PROTECTION - FULL CARRY LICENSE, for the purpose of self-protection. If you are seeking a SELFPROTECTION
    class (6) license, you will be required to show "proper cause" pursuant to Penal Law Section 400.00
    Sub. 2 (f). "Proper cause" is determined by a review of all relevant information bearing on your claimed need. You
    must show that you are exposed to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life
    or safety, requiring authorization to carry a firearm.
    These factors are not all inclusive, and the Police Commissioner will consider other proof, including Suffolk County
    Police Department records. It should be noted, however, that the mere fact that you have been the victim of a crime
    or reside or are employed in a "high crime area" or participate in a controversial activity does not establish "proper
    cause" for the issuance of a self-protection license.
    1. NOTARIZED LETTER OF NECESSITY
    A. Reason(s) for requesting SELF-PROTECTION license, include all of the following information:
    a. Circumstances of the request.
    b. Name, address, telephone number and employer of person(s) that you need protection from, if known.
    c. Is this person you fear related to you.
    d. When did first incident occur.
    e. Number and type of threats and when they occurred.
    f. Number, type of complaint and dates of previous police reports made.
    g. List all previous arrests and charges relating to the incidents or threats, if any.
    h. List all previous court actions and their results relating to the incidents or threats, if any.
    2. SUPPORTING LETTERS OF WITNESSES
    A. Name, address, telephone number and notarized statements or letters of actual witnesses that can confirm
    that recurrent threats have occurred to your life or safety.
    B. Documentation from District Attorney's Office or other law enforcement governmental agency that
    recommends and can support your request for a self protection license.
    If a class (6) license is approved, the Suffolk County Police Pistol Licensing Bureau may withdraw that
    classification at any time if it finds proper cause no longer exists. Proper cause will have to be demonstrated by you
    each time the license is renewed, every five years. If proper cause is no longer proven, the license will be changed
    to a different class license.
    FAILURE TO SUPPLY ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED WILL NOT ONLY DELAY THIS
    AMENDMENT REQUEST, IT MAY RESULT IN A DENIAL. IF ANY INFORMATION REQUESTED IS
    NOT KNOWN, SO INDICATE.
    If you are applying for a new license - submit all the above documentation with your application.
    If you are amending a current license - submit the above documentation with a completed amendment form and a
    check or money order for $5.00 payable to the Suffolk County Police Department. Upon completion of the
    investigation, you will be notified of the results by mail.
    Suffolk County Police Department Phone: 852-6575
    Pistol Licensing Bureau 852-6118
    30 Yaphank Avenue Monday – Friday 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
    Yaphank, NY 11980

Sorry if I went off topic...is anyone curious how the bad guy passed his interview?
    Sympathies to the families.....I'm very sorry...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Even if the two customers were carrying, they were Ambushed as they walked in...

Sometimes you LOSE.... you can't be Ready All The Time, Everywhere You Go.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Any members live in Suffolk County? Describe to these kind people the hoops you have to go through in order to get a permit...and a 'Business' Carry.....

From SCPD Website...
    REQUIREMENTS FOR SELF PROTECTION - FULL CARRY LICENSE
    SELF-PROTECTION - FULL CARRY LICENSE, for the purpose of self-protection. If you are seeking a SELFPROTECTION
    class (6) license, you will be required to show "proper cause" pursuant to Penal Law Section 400.00
    Sub. 2 (f). "Proper cause" is determined by a review of all relevant information bearing on your claimed need. You
    must show that you are exposed to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life
    or safety, requiring authorization to carry a firearm.
    These factors are not all inclusive, and the Police Commissioner will consider other proof, including Suffolk County
    Police Department records. It should be noted, however, that the mere fact that you have been the victim of a crime
    or reside or are employed in a "high crime area" or participate in a controversial activity does not establish "proper
    cause" for the issuance of a self-protection license.
    1. NOTARIZED LETTER OF NECESSITY
    A. Reason(s) for requesting SELF-PROTECTION license, include all of the following information:
    a. Circumstances of the request.
    b. Name, address, telephone number and employer of person(s) that you need protection from, if known.
    c. Is this person you fear related to you.
    d. When did first incident occur.
    e. Number and type of threats and when they occurred.
    f. Number, type of complaint and dates of previous police reports made.
    g. List all previous arrests and charges relating to the incidents or threats, if any.
    h. List all previous court actions and their results relating to the incidents or threats, if any.
    2. SUPPORTING LETTERS OF WITNESSES
    A. Name, address, telephone number and notarized statements or letters of actual witnesses that can confirm
    that recurrent threats have occurred to your life or safety.
    B. Documentation from District Attorney's Office or other law enforcement governmental agency that
    recommends and can support your request for a self protection license.
    If a class (6) license is approved, the Suffolk County Police Pistol Licensing Bureau may withdraw that
    classification at any time if it finds proper cause no longer exists. Proper cause will have to be demonstrated by you
    each time the license is renewed, every five years. If proper cause is no longer proven, the license will be changed
    to a different class license.
    FAILURE TO SUPPLY ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED WILL NOT ONLY DELAY THIS
    AMENDMENT REQUEST, IT MAY RESULT IN A DENIAL. IF ANY INFORMATION REQUESTED IS
    NOT KNOWN, SO INDICATE.
    If you are applying for a new license - submit all the above documentation with your application.
    If you are amending a current license - submit the above documentation with a completed amendment form and a
    check or money order for $5.00 payable to the Suffolk County Police Department. Upon completion of the
    investigation, you will be notified of the results by mail.
    Suffolk County Police Department Phone: 852-6575
    Pistol Licensing Bureau 852-6118
    30 Yaphank Avenue Monday – Friday 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
    Yaphank, NY 11980

Sorry if I went off topic...is anyone curious how the bad guy passed his interview?
    Sympathies to the families.....I'm very sorry...
    Are you kidding me? That is not only ridiculous, it utterly nauseating.

If I lived there, I would move. There isn't a job in this world worth that kind of government thuggery.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That application makes me glad that all I need is my Hunters Safety Certificate and $50 to for my CC permit (once the Governor signs the bill).

I feel so sorry for the families of the victims. It sounds as if they never had a chance to do anything. The BG came in and executed them. He ambushed them like a true predator.

This is why so many pharmacies have installed bullet proof shields between the customers and the pharmacists. Had the pharmacy done that, then one life may have been saved. It still would have been a tragedy nonetheless.

Guy looks like he got the living crap beat out of him by someone.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    Even if the two customers were carrying, they were Ambushed as they walked in...

Sometimes you LOSE.... you can't be Ready All The Time, Everywhere You Go.
    gunsite, i read past you the 1st time and after a pause and re-read i feel strongly enough to respond:

yes, you can be ready all the time, every where you go.

from your 1st deciding to take personal responsibility for self and family till you actually have situational awareness (SA) running like Norton in the background all the time
    may be a couple of years and reading, thinking, classes on martial arts, thinking what-ifs, practicing and dressing fwith different guns and holsters for the various seasons, more what-ifs ( actually you never stop doing that)
    classes for armed techniques, how to wear guns--plural cause you have your primary and your secondary, what guns to wear-where are you going, how will you be dressed; and now suppose that route is closed and you take a off ramp to a 'bad' section of town?, thinking, more practice till either hand at the thought 'gun' will have one in it and your next conscious thought is to pull the trigger or not, have i said thinking? thinking about where you will sit in a restaurant, on the bus, in the theater. no seat choice--change your way of thinking to arrive at a 'new' always fluid plan.
    walking through a glass door--look through it 1st--look into the area you can see....im betting from the entry way that pharmacy looked funky to one who looked with their mind rather than blindly walking in.
    and sometimes you chose not to go a place cause it has a wrongness about it. wife may say I'm silly, but she understands that her welfare is part of my responsibility.
    and that wrongness is often small things that ride under the radar, below the concious; things your sub-concious is wanting to tell you about but there is not yet what to say...just a feeling. need i add--pay attention to those feelings. many who have had it rough understand this, and those who have ignored it may not be able to join in saying much at all anymore.

and ua, there is Murphy. than there is also 'the harder i work, the luckier it seems i am'

all this is a constant--a gestalt.
    you train till it becomes that way and than--you will be ready all the time, every where you go.

it does not raise your blood pressure, you are not paranoid---you are prepared.
    you leave your house, your are in yellow, as you are when you come home till you've done a walk around;
    than you are white. even in white, you still have your home plan should something 'odd' occur.

is all this worth it? its work in the begining but it stays with you the rest of your--longer life.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I live in Suffolk County and got my license over twenty years ago. It was jumping over hurtles back then and the process has gotten progressively more difficult to the point where you not only have to provide information about your own criminal and medical history but information about the criminal and medical history of those in your household.

Beyond that you have to get three individuals that have known you for at least a year to provide notarized references (no relatives or anyone living in your household), they contact your employer, check local police, state police, FBI, military, NYS department of mental health and motor vehcile records, have a face to face interview with an investigator.............the whole process takes about six months.

Now after you get your license every time you want to purchase a handgun you have to apply for a license amendment, go to police headquarters to get a purchase order, take the purchase order to the store where you are purchasing the firearm, pay for the firearm, have the store complete the purchase order and then take the purchase order with the firearm back to police headquarters to have the firearm record on your license. And I forgot to mention that a fired shell casing has to be submitted to the state police before you can take possession of the firearm.

Then every five years you complete a license renewal application. The renewal process isn't quite as extensive.

Unfortunately many honest, law abiding citizens just won't go through the time and expense required to obtain a license so criminals have a high confidence that the vast majority of "targets" are not going to be armed.

BTW, in Suffolk County, after you have gone through this extensive process, your license is restrict to carrying a firearm to and from a range or when going hunting (if you have completed a hunter safety course). So even if one of the individuals that was "executed" had gone through this process to obtain a license they probably would not have been authorized to carry it under the circumstances in which these murders occurred.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

That's insane.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's insane.
    +1

Wow, NY has some seriously messed up CC laws.

VIP Member
    I hope he gets his.

This story gets sadder each day as Funerals and Graduations take place, and, as details get release in interviews.

A licenses gun owner gone bad, this a isolated incident and not the usual. With that said... you can't be ready for a situation like this in a setting like this, you can't live your life in a " high alert " condition, especially in a passive atmosphere.

I like the black eyes on the suspect...lol...lol ah yes.... the good old days

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Guy looks like he got the living crap beat out of him by someone.
    Thou shalt not physically resist the police, especially if you are a POS multiple murder suspect.

He got off way to easy. My $.02 and mine alone.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links