Not good at all

This is a discussion on Not good at all within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Prank with stolen gun turns deadly; Wichita teen dies" "While he was holding the .357, he walked around a corner in his house and saw ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 7 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By searcher 45

Thread: Not good at all

Not good at all

"Prank with stolen gun turns deadly; Wichita teen dies"

"While he was holding the .357, he walked around a corner in his house and saw the girl's 16-year-old brother, a friend of his.

He pulled the trigger and shot his friend in the lower chest.

"I believe he thought the gun was unloaded," [WPD Homicide Lt. Ken] Landwehr said.

An investigation determined the gun had been stolen from the grandfather of the first 16-year-old, Landwehr said, but authorities aren't sure who may be responsible.

I'd say, first and foermost, the Grandfather bears the highest responsibility for not keeping his firearms secure.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

I'd say the kid that stole the gun and then shot his friend bears the highest responsibility,at 16 and even before that I knew you never pointed a gun at anything you didn't want to shoot "EVER".Why is it people always want to blame somebody else other than the person who committed the crime.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    "I believe he thought the gun was unloaded,"

no, actually he did not think

if the gun was stolen than the crime starts there.
    how it was stored, well, an old man who has little company would not expect kin to steal from him.
    he has blame enough on his conscious and perhaps warrants a misdemeanor for unsafe storage---
    but if the kid came in the house uninvited to commit the theft than the old man is ok by me.
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Gun safety should be mandatory for children IMO. How many of us had a six-shooter cap gun when we were little monkeys? Squirt gun? BB gun?

There was only one of those where I was admonished to never point it at anyone. The others were designed to be.

In this tragic case, the shooter is responsible for at least manslaughter & theft. The gun owner for having an unsecured firearm accessible to minors. Both will have to live with the consequences of their choices.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Moderator
    I'd say, first and foermost, the Grandfather bears the highest responsibility for not keeping his firearms secure.
    I'd say first and foremost, the shooter bears the highest responsibility for not keeping his firearm secure. Instead, he pointed it at something he did not want destroyed and ended the life of a friend.

The handgun was reported stolen. You assume that the Grandfather did not store it in a responsible manner. Assigning him guilt sounds very much like the tactics used and the statements that are issued by antigun fanatics that belong to specific groups.
    msgt/ret, OD*, guardmt and 4 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Sad, sad tale. Whole bunch of wrongs.

There's fault to be placed everywhere. Even the teen's friends are not exempt.

Like some of you, I believe, strongly, in teaching children proper gun-safety. This is a failure completely up and down the chain of those involved. Why was the grandfather's firearm accessible (I do not agree that the firearm being stolen absolves the grandfather of responsibility - we are taught as a part of firearms safety that we must secure our firearms; to me, the degree to which the gun-owner sought to secure the weapon may make him more or less culpable, but it does not absolve)? Who failed to teach (and ingrain into) the teen to not steel and to exercise proper firearms safety? Why did the teen's friends not stop him? And to the shooter, what failed in you that you stole from your grandfather, and then shot your friend?

mkh
    I guess he lost is girfriend too. Doubt she would be too happy with him for shooting her brother unless this wasn't really an accident.

There may be much more to this than first meets the eye, a good investigation is needed.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    There may be much more to this than first meets the eye, a good investigation is needed.
    That's ALWAYS the case. When I hear more I'll post it here.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

VIP Member

^^^I'm in the doubting Thomas camp on this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cause the shooter was driving him to the hospital, and flagged down a patrol car, and they handled it from there.

At the bottom of the article, it said alcohol & marijuana MAY have been a factor.

Also said when the police arived at the home, they found 5 rounds on the bed.

???????????????????????????????????????W h o k n o w s.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    At the bottom of the article, it said alcohol & marijuana MAY have been a factor.
    Anybody wanna bet it WAS a factor?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I think this is *always* the case, with media reports.

There's always two sides to the story, and the truth hovers somewhere in between.

Links