SD shooting pushes neighbor to get CHL.

This is a discussion on SD shooting pushes neighbor to get CHL. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got a call today from a neighbor/client. He wanted to sign himself and his wife up for our next CHL class. Apparently this weekend they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SD shooting pushes neighbor to get CHL.

SD shooting pushes neighbor to get CHL.

Got a call today from a neighbor/client. He wanted to sign himself and his wife up for our next CHL class.

Apparently this weekend they were eating breakfast and heard a ruckus out by their vehicles. The grandson (18 or so) goes outside and sees a guy beating the mess out of a girl. They had pulled up into the neighbors driveway and had broken the window in the car they were in with her head possibly. The grandson manages to get the girl out of the car, ect, and the neighbor tells the BG that the police are on their way so, he better get a move on.

What is the BG's response, old man I will beat the mess out of you or something of the like. Neighbors response, not likely. So the BG gets out of his car with a steel pipe and heads towards the neighbor. Neighbor warns BG not to keep coming, BG response I am fixin to beat a part of your body. Neighbor proceeds to put a .357 rd into BG's leg. BG decides to get into his car and leave.

Cops show up, neighbor tells them which way BG went. Police are informed that BG checking into local hospital with bullet wound. Neighbor, wife, grandson and girl that was being beaten all go down and give statements to police. Apparently the BG had essentially kidnapped minor girl and brought her across the state line from AR. Investigating officers decide it was a good shoot. All is well with neighbors.

Later that day neighbor gets a call from BG's brother saying that since he messed up his brother, neighbor is now a target. Neighbor calls detective, detective listens to voice mail, calls BG's brother and warns him that if he calls again or is seen anywhere near neighbors house BG's brother will be arrested since they have the threat on recording. Officer then informed neighbor that it might not be a bad idea to for them to get their CHL permits. Hence the call today. I certainly do love our area of Texas and the mentality of the LEO's.

I happened to run into one of the responding officers today, also a client, while at the store. He confirmed everything and basically said that if the BG or his family give neighbor any grief the he doesn't think the neighbor will hesitate to put them down. Hopefully the BG's are smart enough to find somewhere else to vent.

This is definately not the way I want to pick up business, I am just glad the neighbor, his family and the minor that was being beaten are all ok for the most part. Neighbor didn't sound like he had any regrets over the matter and seemed ok with everything. Police didn't give him any grief, and I don't even think they kept his gun after everything was said and done. Gotta love Texas.
    garyacman likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Sad it takes something so traumatic to get people to see the light but also refreshing they still have the snap to actually see the light. Since he's your neighbor and threats have been levied I know your spidey senses are tingling and helping to keep a watchful eye. Stay safe!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

That right there is a good reason why you don't shoot in the leg.
    Now the Good Guy is going to have to watch his back for two or more bad guys.
    One, the original BG with the hole in the leg, after he gets bailed out of course, and the BG's brother.
    And any other Kin Folk!

But you just gotta snicker a little.
    I mean like, MAN, that 357 to the leg HAS GOT TO HURT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ooooouuuuchhhhh!

No wonder he left right away. Round two would not have been any kinder.
    Who says Bad Guys can't learn dicipline fast?

What do you want to bet the girl friend take him back after the dust settles?
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Anyone who deserves to be shot once deserves a double tap. Center mass, of course.

Intentionally shooting someone in the leg, could open up a very expensive legal quagmire. The theory goes... Why did you use lethal force on a guy who you felt did not warrant it? Shooting someone in the leg to discourage them is not the proper use of deadly force.

I'm glad things worked out all around. I hope the man doesn't face anymore worries from the scumbag and his brother. We'll see.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't know that he intentionally shot the BG in the leg. That just happens to be where it hit him. He didn't go into where he was aiming.

The hit in the leg, did however make the BG leave. No I am not advocating leg shots or anything of that nature. I don't think there will be any legal ramifications of his actions. Texas Civil Practices and Remedies 83.001, I believe that is the section without looking it up, will keep the neighbor clear from civil suits.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I would tell your friend that until he gets his CHL he needs to get a gun and learn to use it,he can carry concealed on his property and have a concealed handgun in his car which is better than nothing
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i believe the friend is the neighbor who shot the guy, am i correct? If I am correct, how long did it take to get the gun back?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

mkh
    In addition to the CHL training make sure he gets some firearm training.

One to the leg deliberately is a bad idea and if that wasn't his aim point then he needs more practice. Explain COM to him.

I'm sure you already know that. Just make sure your friend does too.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    i believe the friend is the neighbor who shot the guy, am i correct? If I am correct, how long did it take to get the gun back?
    It appears to be a day or less to get the gun back.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Agreed. Get him some good training. Sorry it took such a heated situation to change his mind, but at least the deed is done, and with little harm to the ones who you know.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    In addition to the CHL training make sure he gets some firearm training.

One to the leg deliberately is a bad idea and if that wasn't his aim point then he needs more practice. Explain COM to him.

I'm sure you already know that. Just make sure your friend does too.

I am going to play devils advocate here. In this case, how would one to the leg be a bad idea? BG left immediately, and police were good with the shoot. Neighbor is clear based on statements from himself, his family and minor girl that was getting the snot beat out of her.

This is a perfect example of why there are no absolutes when we talk of self defense. When we say "never do X", but "X" stopped the threat, kept everyone in his family safe and didn't leave him with the consequences of killing a man in his yard, how can "X" be the thing that is never to be done?

Again, I am not advocating the action, but simply using it as a point of discussion about how varaiables sometimes mean that what we sometimes deem a bad idea is not necessarily a bad idea.

A bit more background. The neighbor is prior military, I don't remember if he is Marine or Army, I think Marine. 100% DV, and just had knee replacement so quick movement is out of the question. The neighbor was on an elevated porch with a railing and the BG was in his yard coming from street level. I do not know what the distance was but it is about 30-40 ft or so to the street from the porch.

Yes, BG is still alive and family may want retribution, but would they be any less likely to want retribution is BG is dead? Probably not in my mind. Don't know, that is one of those variables again.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good for your neighbor! Just one more reminder-anyone, anywhere, anytime...
    8th ID likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Well it certainly put the kabosh on BG's mama getting up and wailing "why didn't he just shoot my baby in the leg". :)
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    People shouldn't think that shooting in the leg is such a great way to only *wound*. It can kill pretty fast if you hit the femoral artery.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Senior Moderator
    That guy needs to brush up his shooting skills.

He missed a good opportuntity to make the world a better place.
    farronwolf, sgb, Xader and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links