Employee pulls gun on armed robber, who runs away. Portsmouth, VA

This is a discussion on Employee pulls gun on armed robber, who runs away. Portsmouth, VA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Robber runs from armed employee of Portsmouth shop | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com An armed robber ran from a jewelry store after an employee pointed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Employee pulls gun on armed robber, who runs away. Portsmouth, VA

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Police: Robber runs from armed employee of Portsmouth shop | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

An armed robber ran from a jewelry store after an employee pointed a gun at him, police said. No shots were fired and no one was injured.
    I'd consider this the best possible outcome, although I'm not giving an armed robber time to make that decision to run or shoot.

He brandished a chrome handgun and forced three female employees into a supply room.
    There's your first clue that things are going down hill.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm glad this ended with no loss of life. But honestly, if an armed robber came into my place of employment (gas station) and was brandishing his handgun in my fellow employees faces, I wouldn't have given him the chance to run.
    Mr B likes this.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Admirable, but less than prudent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The employee is very lucky that he was not killed. If the threat is there, why would you hesitate waiting for him to fire first? You can't shoot back if your dead!
    Mr B likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sure would have been a lot easier to identify the Robber if he'd had a bullet hole in him.
    Even a little one between the eyes is all you need.
    F'N Coward!
    What did he expect, a Jewerly Store full of SHEEP?????
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I'm glad this ended with no loss of life. But honestly, if an armed robber came into my place of employment (gas station) and was brandishing his handgun in my fellow employees faces, I wouldn't have given him the chance to run.
    I'll write that off to the exuberance of youth.

In this case, it worked out great. And, we don't know the details of the action/scene. All we know is this:

"A male employee was sitting at a desk in the rear of the business when the suspect walked by waving the gun," a police statement said. "The male employee confronted the suspect with a handgun. The suspect immediately ran from the business."
    And that description of the events is as clear as the description of the perp:

The robber was described as black and 6 feet tall. He wore a black, hooded jacket and covered his face.
    I think this guy lives here in Iowa. If I call the crime stoppers number, and they catch him here, I'll get a reee ward!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'll write that off to the exuberance of youth.
    What, you wouldn't have done the same thing? Deadly weapon in someone else's hands, threatening your co-workers? Is it the exuberance of youth talking, or possibly the love of life and others lives that I care about? Speak for yourself...

What, you wouldn't have done the same thing? Deadly weapon in someone else's hands, threatening your co-workers? Is it the exuberance of youth talking, or possibly the love of life and others lives that I care about? Speak for yourself...
    I might have done the same thing... But the circumstances decide.

Let me give you a graphic example:
    gun.jpg

This pistol is pointed at your head, right between your eyes, and it's real... I'm pressing the trigger. Of the 47,081 members of this forum, pick one to sit in a chair behind a desk, let's say 6 feet away and to the side obliquely, from you and I. Select one of those members to shoot me in the head, with a pistol, and guarantee that my nerves won't complete the job of killing you even as I begin to fall.

The description of the action in the article makes my scenario as likely as what you envision in your head. For all we know, it was exactly as I presented it... but, to give you a fair shake, it could be as you think it was as well... that's what I mean when I say the circumstances decide.

I can think of 2 or 3 regulars that I might ask to do it in your shoes... but I don't think they'd guarantee the shot.... too bad for you, eh?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Without knowing all the details, it's hard to say what I would have done.

It sounds like the armed employee said something first, which caused the BG to flee once he saw the gun. The BGs gun may not have been aimed at anyone at that point.

While the first thought I have is to shoot to protect the others, it all happens so fast and the situation is over. What you do instinctively may not be what you are thinking. I'm betting the criminal is a lifer who won't reform. If that is the case, then it is too bad he was not taken down. If this incident causes the BG to re-think his lifestyle, then good.

On the other hand, no innocents were hurt, and the one employee doesn't have to live knowing he took a life. That by itself cannot be measured in importance.

There is no best ending here. The best thing would been for the BG to choose to live an honest life. Which means he would never have attempted to rob the store. That's the true sad reality.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I might have done the same thing... But the circumstances decide.

Let me give you a graphic example:
    gun.jpg

This pistol is pointed at your head, right between your eyes, and it's real... I'm pressing the trigger. Of the 47,081 members of this forum, pick one to sit in a chair behind a desk, let's say 6 feet away and to the side obliquely, from you and I. Select one of those members to shoot me in the head, with a pistol, and guarantee that my nerves won't complete the job of killing you even as I begin to fall.

The description of the action in the article makes my scenario as likely as what you envision in your head. For all we know, it was exactly as I presented it... but, to give you a fair shake, it could be as you think it was as well... that's what I mean when I say the circumstances decide.

I can think of 2 or 3 regulars that I might ask to do it in your shoes... but I don't think they'd guarantee the shot.... too bad for you, eh?
    Never said I'd take the shot while he had his pistol aimed at someone else with his finger on the trigger..

Never said I'd take the shot while he had his pistol aimed at someone else with his finger on the trigger..
    Well, he was brandishing :"1. to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly."

So let's pretend I'm waving it about, and it's only aimed at your "T box" 50% of the time... in .5 second intervals...

Got somebody in mind to take the shot on me, now? Odds are certainly better... 50-50... someone's got to guarantee that shot, right? Are you willing to bet your life on it? Why would you be willing to bet someone else's?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Here's your first hand account

He was pointing the gun directly at me less than 4 feet away.
    When he turned I drew my gun and pointed it at him.
    I kept the thumb safety on at work and never use it at the range.
    I did not have it released when I pulled the trigger first
    and by the time I released the safety I no longer had a shot.
    You can see him lunge at me as I'm releasing the safety
    and then drop to the floor and run in the survalence video.
    I didn't have a shot until he was at the door with a populated parking lot
    in the background. If he turned I would have fired at him, but the door
    is 80 feet away.
    I had no idea what was going on in the store until he reached the back
    and pointed his gun at me as we are still unpacking and there is stuff piled up
    well over my head blocking my view.

I was lucky as hell, and so was this kid, but don't fault me for not taking a shot.

BTW I no longer keep the gun in a wrapped up holster with the thumb safety on.
    it now lays on a shelf beside my bench ready to go.
    I will be getting a small frame to carry on my person all the time whereever
    I am in the store over the next week or so.

The vid is on WTKR's website if you want to take a look. http://www.mefeedia.com/news/40903804
    Last edited by Tzadik; June 26th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
    paramedic70002 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    He was pointing the gun directly at me less than 4 feet away.
    When he turned I drew my gun and pointed it at him.
    I kept the thumb safety on at work and never use it at the range.
    I did not have it released when I pulled the trigger first
    and by the time I released the safety I no longer had a shot.
    You can see him lunge at me as I'm releasing the safety
    and then drop to the floor and run in the survalence video.
    I didn't have a shot until he was at the door with a populated parking lot
    in the background. If he turned I would have fired at him, but the door
    is 80 feet away.
    I had no idea what was going on in the store until he reached the back
    and pointed his gun at me as we are still unpacking and there is stuff piled up
    well over my head blocking my view.

I was lucky as hell, and so was this kid, but don't fault me for not taking a shot.

BTW I no longer keep the gun in a wrapped up holster with the thumb safety on.
    it now lays on a shelf beside my bench ready to go.
    I will be getting a small frame to carry on my person all the time whereever
    I am in the store over the next week or so.

The vid is on WTKR's website if you want to take a look. Attempted robbery in Portsmouth Video
    Your link doesnt seem to work...

As for what happened, you did what you could and learned from the mistakes you made..Overall Im glad that everything turned out ok for you. Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ugh. Not a bad outcome with all things considered. If the first hand account is accurate, forgetting to take off a safety is my biggest fear with a defensive firearm, which is why I don't have any safeties on the guns that I carry. I know that I've missed a fair number of shots when upland and duck hunting because I forgot to take off the safety in the moment of excitement.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the body does not cease in all actions upon brain death. finger in a trigger, be it light or not...may in fact close upon the bodies 'dying' electrical surges.

let me try this another way-- its pointed at me and you take the shot--if i live i will beat you to with in an inch of your life.
    i may by you a drink after also. both, neither. such is this game of life.
    now, your off to the side and run a bullet up along his arm taking the gun with it and I'll be real proud that you made that shot.

there is a thread about carry as you conceal-same type and place. this man obviously need more training or a simplified routine. which i believe he acknowledges.
    luck was with him and that sometimes is what counts. all the planning and its a lucky condition which has the live or die all over it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links