Ohio CCW holder uses firearm in self defense VIDEO

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW holder uses firearm in self defense VIDEO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video of citizen with CCW using his firearm to save his own life. Thoughts? What would you have done different? Dayton's News Source :: Raw ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ohio CCW holder uses firearm in self defense VIDEO

Ohio CCW holder uses firearm in self defense VIDEO

Video of citizen with CCW using his firearm to save his own life. Thoughts? What would you have done different?

Dayton's News Source :: Raw News - Caught On Tape: Victim Grabs Gun, Shoots Alleged Robber
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 24th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Since this made its way here.

It's a fellow Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC, found at ohioccw.org) member -

CHL holder uses firearm in defense against attack

^ OFCC interview/summary.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - had to shoot someone on friday.

^ Discussion thread on our Forums. I believe that you can read the Forums without registration/login.

I watched the video. Hard to see exactly what is going on with the angle of the camera. I read the description on the link provided above about wishing he had had his handgun on his person instead of in his car. However, because I can't see exactly how this took place, I'm not sure. Typically when I'm sitting in the car, my gun is actually sort of difficult to reach since it is usually on my hip or my back. But if it were in a center console, it would be easier to reach. However, I always keep my gun on my person unless I'm going to be driving a long distance, and even then I put it back on before I get out of the car.

This is one of those scenarios where when a stranger approaches me I am always very alert and if they start saying weird stuff like this guy was doing I'm going to probably have my hand on my gun under my shirt just waiting for something to happen.

Fortunately for me I will never, ever visit a gas station again.. well, at least not to buy gas anyway.

Wow, looks like a good shoot. The only thing I would have done different would be to not let that guy hang out at my vehicle like that. It looks like he was chatting him up for a while, but I could be wrong.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Not enough info, but I would not have driven off if I could have helped it. Also, would not have turned back on BG as the GG did on more than one occassion. In the end, he did what he had to do and got to go home to see mama. He had far more info that we do from this video.

From the linked thread - words of the armed citizen - "the gun was a glock model 36. carrying with one in the chamber probably saved my life because i was holding myself in the car with my left hand as they were trying to pull me out of the car no way i could have racked the slide."
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Looks like he was justified, for sure. I think at the point that the guy started to lean on my car, after I told him in the store that I did not know him, I would have ordered him off my car and away from me. If he refused I would have insisted and made enough commotion to draw attention from other bystanders. If he kept pushing the issue I would be in fear of assult and acted. By waiting until he was attacked he took the risk of being removed from his weapon that was in the car, and also risk of being knocked out. It quickly became two on one and he was lucky he was able to gt to his gun and keep conrol of it.

In the thread it says he had the Glock in the center console too, so when he was trying to get in they were trying to pull him out, though I doubt they knew it was there. Sounds like he'd have had a hard time driving away.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I think it was good in that situation he did drive off, after shooting scum bag #1 , Scum bag #2 fled off, maybe he fled to his car to grab a gun? We can all say he should have waited for the police but right now not knowing if this is the first time Mr. Fox has dealt with something like this, he is prob scared (I would be) and wants to get away not knowing what Scum bag #2 ran off to get and possibly return with a weapon.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I've been stuck in conversations with guys who were drunk/high/belligerent and looking for trouble, and it is incredibly strange how it feels when our social norms and expectations get tossed out the window like that. I'm glad my fellow Ohioan is ok, hopefully he isn't mentally or psychologically suffering from this.

The other BG's Facebook page. He's such a victim.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a class act all the way - NOT
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Well his FB should help police convict him.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Dipstick kinda left out the part where he was also trying to beat/rob the guy,I carry on my person,I can't move very quick and have difficulty entering and exiting vehicles,I would have confronted the guy and told him I don't know you get the hell away from me.I'm glad the LEO's actually realised the disparity of force,in my case I don't need two guys tp prove it,you attack me I will stop the threat,probably from the ground shooting up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just wow. Facebook evidence of premeditation eh?

sgb
    The victim used very poor situational awareness and failed to institute early evasion or defensive posture, however he did what he had to do when he had to do it and survived.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links