What will they think of next?

This is a discussion on What will they think of next? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tire Pressure Monitoring System hackers loom as a potential threat. Studies by the University of South Carolina and Rutgers University found two potential areas where ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: What will they think of next?

What will they think of next?

Tire Pressure Monitoring System hackers loom as a potential threat. Studies by the University of South Carolina and Rutgers University found two potential areas where TPMS can be used for evil deeds. The bad guys use the unique TPMS wheel sensor registration numbers found in some TPMS vehicles (e.g. Toyota) for nefarious tracking and spoofing purposes. Inexpensive equipment can read the registration numbers from as far away as 120 feet, and a database can be quickly compiled by monitoring traffic at a busy location. The data can keep track of places you might frequent and not want anyone to know about such as a medical facility, Tea Party rally, or strip club. The data can allow a bad guy to stalk you. Or, the hacker could use his equipment to maliciously trigger the TPMS dash warning light of a passing car. The concerned motorist stops to check the tire and gets mugged.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If criminals would invest as much energy in honest work as they do coming up with new schemes they would be rich and not have to worry about getting arrested.
    RETSUPT99, joker1 and BugDude like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    The data can keep track of places you might frequent and not want anyone to know about such as a medical facility, Tea Party rally, or strip club.
    The OPs got that right! I wouldn't want to be caught at a tea party rally. Now a strip club, there you will find an informed and genteel slice of society.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If criminals would invest as much energy in honest work as they do coming up with new schemes they would be rich and not have to worry about getting arrested.
    ...and could avoid getting shot much easier.
    WvHiker likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another reason to dislike the government mandated TPMS systems! We've got some brilliant minds out there, unfortunately they find it easier to lie, cheat, and steal for a living than to work.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Oh FYI, if your low tire light comes on you may have one tire that is only 2 or 3 pounds different than the other 3. Not something you need to stop immediately in the middle of the ghetto at night and feverishly check your tires. These things scare the pants off people for no reason and they are a PITA for the average person to understand and get a light turned off.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Around every corner, in every shadow, behind every bush and during every hour of every day, there seems to be someone with malice on their mind. Sad, very sad.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System hackers loom as a potential threat. Studies by the University of South Carolina and Rutgers University found two potential areas where TPMS can be used for evil deeds. The bad guys use the unique TPMS wheel sensor registration numbers found in some TPMS vehicles (e.g. Toyota) for nefarious tracking and spoofing purposes. Inexpensive equipment can read the registration numbers from as far away as 120 feet, and a database can be quickly compiled by monitoring traffic at a busy location. The data can keep track of places you might frequent and not want anyone to know about such as a medical facility, Tea Party rally, or strip club. The data can allow a bad guy to stalk you. Or, the hacker could use his equipment to maliciously trigger the TPMS dash warning light of a passing car. The concerned motorist stops to check the tire and gets mugged.
    Well, now we know what the SC football team will be doing in the offseason!

My truck has a "visual tire pressure monitoring system with analog verification." (I look at the tire and if it looks low I check the pressure). Good luck hacking that.

If I had one of these I would want one that would tell me the actual pressure in the "defective" tire. If it's 3 PSI I have an issue, but I would be seriously PO'd if I pulled off the interstate at 3AM because the system went off and found that one tire was 2 PSI below the other three (assuming I didn't become a passing truck's new hood ornament).

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    msgt---I've been saying that for decades---if they invested that much though in a legit area, they'd be rich & free.

most flashing things on your dash can be reset by reading your owners manual ( what a novel idea...) or
    turning the ignition key to acc for 5 seconds while performing some tribal ritual such as putting your foot on the brake

say what??.....your car got no key.....thats broke to me man, return it immediately, green my you-know-what, it b broken.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    More often than not the light is triggered by the spare tire especially on a cool morning. Very rarely will it come one while driving unless you have run over a bunch of nails, road debris or for the not so legal a spike strip.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My TPMS fits in my center console and is completely un-hackable. There is also one built in to the tip of my boots.

These weren't criminals. They are university students doing legitimate security research. Unfortunately, the media hijacked the term "hacker" and made it a bad thing. A hacker is simply someone who takes technology and does something with it that it wasn't intended to do. Sometimes this takes the form of creating systems. For example, the guy who rigs up his garage door to open with his smart phone is a hacker. Other times, it takes the form of breaking systems in order to better secure them or raise awareness to the security flaws. This analysis of the information leak from TPMS is a good example.

A good analogy is that of locksmiths vs. safe crackers/burglars. Same tools, same methods, different motivations.

Sorry, just trying to help reduce the negative connotation surrounding the term. Keep this in mind the next time you see a story about "hackers." The Internet was created by hackers.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

AMEN

Technology has gone too far. I grew up using a tire pressure guage, and was taught to check your tire pressure while you were getting gas...and you filled as needed with the free air hose provided at your local gas station. No more free air hoses. Has society really dumbed itself down to the point we need a computer to tell us that our rear passenger side tire has 32 pounds of pressure while the other three have 34?

I'll stick to my 1960s Volkswagen Bugs. Simple, easy, and no computers. It doesn't need any water, no electronic gizmos, and the windshield washer fluid is propelled using the air pressure from the spare tire...and you refill it when you get gas (which isn't often). We have overengineered things to solve problems that didn't exist and in turn created new more complicated problems. An old fashioned tire pressure guage costs $1 and no one can hack you with it. If it breaks, you replace it for $1. How much do you think that fancy schmancy electronic system will cost you when it breaks?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Another reason to dislike the government mandated TPMS systems!
    Is TPMS a government mandate? For all vehicles? I thought it was just another piece of optional equipment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links