Good: CHL Navy Ensign Thwarts Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Good: CHL Navy Ensign Thwarts Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Outdoor News Navy Ensign Ensign Sean Barner used his CHL handgun and Marine Corps training to repel two men, killing one of them, that invaded ...

Thread: Good: CHL Navy Ensign Thwarts Home Invasion

Good: CHL Navy Ensign Thwarts Home Invasion

Outdoor News

Navy Ensign Ensign Sean Barner used his CHL handgun and Marine Corps training to repel two men, killing one of them, that invaded a home during a party with the intent of robbing and killing the victims, and raping the women.

The incident took place in College Park, Georgia, while Barner attended a party with five men and four women. Two masked and armed men entered the apartment while Barner and a friend were outside getting some fresh air. Upon returning to the apartment, Barner was met by the two armed robbers who had rounded up the men and women in the living room.

After being robbed of their personal belongings, the six men were ordered to a back bedroom while two women were taken to a second bedroom with one assailant while the other two women were taken to the living room with the other assailant.

In the back bedroom, Barner and the other five men overheard the perpetrators’ plan to rape the women and shoot all the victims.

“Knowing that this was not a nice area of town, I brought along a firearm which I left in my book bag,” said Barner, who is licensed under the Georgia Weapons Carry laws. “I was lucky that the room I was locked in had my book bag and had not been searched.”

Barner escaped the bedroom with his firearm and went to the living room where he fired several shots at one of the armed assailants causing him to flee.

Barner then went to the bedroom where two females were being held with by the other assailant. He kicked down the door and entered the room, shooting the assailant and causing him to flee out the window.

That assailant was later found dead near the apartment from gunshot wounds. One of the females was also caught in the ensuing crossfire and received gunshot wounds.

“I’m glad I took my Marine Corps training seriously,” said Barner. “I was blessed to have the ability to handle the situation the way I did and prevent anyone else from getting further injured.”

The Navy awarded Ensign Barner the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his actions.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

TIL that The Rock uses an alias to attend dinner parties!

He should have been wearing his weapon, he could have just as easily been locked in a room where his book bag was not! Happy everything turned out ok.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Coulda ended really ugly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds almost too fantastic to be true, but glad he managed to come out on top. I also hope the female victim will be ok.

Also goes to show that just because you have a house full of guests doesn't mean you won't be a target.

I didn't know you could get military medals for actions done as a civilian.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Coulda ended really ugly

it did end ugly---them that came equipped to throw lead failed in the catching aspect of their game

and the award , well everyone has an agenda and his superiors found that this case warranted praise more so than punishment.
    some people here thought past the many zero-tolerance decrees and made a rightful decision.

two thumbs up all round.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I can't even imagine the adrenaline dump after going through that. Do you think the female got hit by the BG's bullet or the GG's?
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    I can't even imagine the adrenaline dump after going through that. Do you think the female got hit by the BG's bullet or the GG's?
    I wondered this too, that part would have me pretty concerned after things calmed down.

I bet everyone was glad the party was not at a home where the owner didn't allow any of his friends to have a gun in his home. (because, after all... nothing bad will happen in my house!)

BTW... why didn't the homeowner protect his guests? Hmmm.

I agree, the Ensign should have had his weapon concealed on his person.

Also, imagine that... The Navy gave him a medal for taking out the garbage! Go Navy! Ooh Rah!

Outstanding, Sir!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not sure why the article left this out, but the incident occurred in 2009. Here's another story with the date included: Navy Ensign Awarded Medal for Heroism

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I wondered this too, that part would have me pretty concerned after things calmed down.

^^I Bet ^^^^^^^^

If you asked her, she'd say, "who cares, I'm alive".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    He should have been wearing his weapon

THIS!!

Some of my friends think I'm silly for wearing my CC weapon around my house all the time!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    THIS!!

Some of my friends think I'm silly for wearing my CC weapon around my house all the time!
    Real silly, until you need it.

Same type of thinking by just about all the unarmed. Crime is so unlikely they just don't think about it.

Then, some of them figure out that although violent crime is highly unlikely, it sure as hell messes up your whole life (maybe) when it strikes!
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    He should have been wearing his weapon, he could have just as easily been locked in a room where his book bag was not! Happy everything turned out ok.
    And if he had been wearing his EDC he could just as easily had it taken from him at gun point. These situations are always dynamic and no one plan or outcome is certain.

Too bad about the collateral damage, but turned out well.

Links