Garner NC - man cited for firing gun

This is a discussion on Garner NC - man cited for firing gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Garner Police cite man for violating gun law after he shot at prowler | NBC17.com I wonder if the one would-be-robber was also cited for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Garner NC - man cited for firing gun

Garner NC - man cited for firing gun

Garner Police cite man for violating gun law after he shot at prowler | NBC17.com

I wonder if the one would-be-robber was also cited for firing his weapons at the resident. I have a big issue with a city ordinance that makes no sense. So, a law abiding citizen in the State of NC has the right to keep a weapon at home, or even carry it around the city of Garner, but the moment he/she uses it for self-defense he/she is breaking the law. It makes no darn sense.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

It's a stupid ordinance the way that it is written, but once again Mr Whitaker volunteered the information that the police used to charge him...

The Garner police responded to a break-in in progress at a home on Nellane Drive. Whitaker told them one of the prowlers had fired a shot at him and he returned fire with his shotgun.

It shouldn't be that way but it is. You think you're the good guy and you probably are. You think there's nothing wrong with giving your story to the police because the law is on the side of the good guys. Only after you are charged do you realize that calling your lawyer and saying as little as possible after a shooting incident is probably the best thing to do.
    garyacman likes this.

Too bad the police can't read their own municipal codes.

Garner, North Carolina, Code of Ordinances >> PART I - GENERAL ORDINANCES >> Chapter 18 - WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVES >> ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL >>

Sec. 18-1. - Discharge of firearms; seizure of firearms; applicability of section.

(a)

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge within the corporate limits of the town or on any town-owned property any gun, pistol or other firearm, or air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, or similar device, by whatever name, for throwing a metal projectile by use of spring action or compressed air; provided, however, that this paragraph does not prohibit the discharge of firearms by any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty, including the shooting of birds, animals or reptiles as set forth in section 3-13(b) and (c).

(b)

Any town policeman is hereby authorized to seize and hold subject to court order any such gun, pistol or other firearm which shall have been shot or discharged within the town in violation of this section.

(c)

The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit the discharge of firearms either during the course of instruction in their use by the police department of the town or on a firing range after inspection and approval of the use of such range by the chief of police from the standpoint of public safety, or to the firing of firearms without projectiles in organized educational, entertainment, instructional or ceremonial events, sponsored by the Garner Parks and Recreations Department. Such inspection and approval shall be evidenced by a written permit issued by the chief to the applicant, and the chief shall impose any condition or conditions upon the use of such range deemed by him to be necessary and prudent with due regard to life, property and public safety. Such permit shall be revocable by the chief upon a finding by him that the permit holder is not exercising the privilege of such permit in a careful and prudent manner and with due regard to life and property.

(d)

The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit the lawful discharge of a firearm by any lawful officer in the discharge of his duty or by any person in the lawful defense of persons and property.

NOTE THE BOLDED UNDERLINED SECTION>

My guess is he'll get an "Oops we're sorry letter and a be careful what you do speech.
    garyacman likes this.

Thanks for taking the time to look the ordinance up. That certainly thickens the stew.

I hope the DA drops the charges before the man has to get a lawyer..

VIP Member
    I smell money here...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Important note: First defend your home like this... then do this... until your lawyer arrives.OMO
    BugDude likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    They say there is no self-defense exception in Garner’s gun ordinance. Only a law enforcement officer may fire a weapon within town limits according to the local code.
    And police wonder why/how they alienate themselves with so many citizens....

after the dust settles...

Hopefully, the Court will toss out the case against Mr. Whitaker. Also, someone might suggest some re-training is in order for the Garner PD.

"They say there is no self-defense exception in Garner’s gun ordinance. Only a law enforcement officer may fire a weapon within town limits according to the local code."

So Garner code over rules State Legislation.

"The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit the lawful discharge of a firearm by any lawful officer in the discharge of his duty or by any person in the lawful defense of persons and property."

SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE Seems the news reporter didn't have all the facts. Garner police have verified that yes, you can discharge a firearm in self defense (as I had posted above) but it seems our home owner may not have been shooting in justifiable self defense. Seems that the police are following the muni code after all. I guess we'll know for sure when the full details are released.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE Seems the news reporter didn't have all the facts. Garner police have verified that yes, you can discharge a firearm in self defense (as I had posted above) but it seems our home owner may not have been shooting in justifiable self defense. Seems that the police are following the muni code after all. I guess we'll know for sure when the full details are released.
    Huh. Imagine that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The stew is not finished until all the ingredients are in.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    A news reporter not having the facts?

Oh the HUMANITY!!!
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am still trying to figure out how a homeowner was not justified in using deadly force once he was shot at....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links