File under Good: Being prepared in Texas

This is a discussion on File under Good: Being prepared in Texas within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thought I would post this: HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching for at least three suspects who got quite a surprise when they broke into ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr B

Thread: File under Good: Being prepared in Texas

File under Good: Being prepared in Texas

Thought I would post this:

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching for at least three suspects who got quite a surprise when they broke into a home on Westmont Street in east Houston.

The homeowner says he was just not going to take it. It was daylight and he says his three vehicles were in the driveway when he heard glass breaking in not just one but two of his front windows, and then saw an arm reaching in to unlock the door. That's when he grabbed his 9mm and cocked his gun.

Homeowner Ray Ridgeway says it happened just after 6am Wednesday, when he heard the glass shatter and the commotion at his front door, so he cocked his gun. Then as one round fell out of the chamber, he says three suspects took off running and jumped into a small pickup truck.

Police recovered that abandoned truck in a ditch several miles away on Maxey Road near Flemming. That led to a search for the three suspects with a police helicopter in the air and patrol cars on the ground.

The homeowner says he and his family feel violated but he's glad he was ready.

"I don't know if it's that they saw me through the broken window or they heard when I cocked my gun," Ridgeway said. "I don't know what it was, but that's when they left."

Ridgeway says the burglars left behind a pair of shorts and a machete the size of a yard stick. Police have taken both. They are still patrolling on the ground, looking for those suspects.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

2. Remove Ads

One fell out of the gun? Was it already chambered and he racked the slide just for effect? That's one round he can't use to shoot an attacker. Forget the scary-effect of racking the slide, just shoot when they come through the door. Also, I'd suggest he get a real home-defense weapon. The kind that puts more than one hole in someone at once.

In other news, a machete the size of a yardstick?! That's a frigging big machete!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The kind that puts more than one hole in someone at once.
    THIS!!!!

One fell out of the gun? Was it already chambered and he racked the slide just for effect? That's one round he can't use to shoot an attacker. Forget the scary-effect of racking the slide, just shoot when they come through the door. Also, I'd suggest he get a real home-defense weapon. The kind that puts more than one hole in someone at once.

In other news, a machete the size of a yardstick?! That's a frigging big machete!
    I would suggest a Mossberg 500, that will put more than a few holes in someone.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

VIP Member

^^^^^^^IDK^^^^^^^^^

about the homeowner and his firearms skills, but it got rid of the invaders,,,

So fast in fact that, in addition to the machete, they found a pair of shorts?????

Scared the pants off one of them, ehh??

When a predator selects the "wrong" victim, and the tables get turned, we call that, "An acute failure of the victim selection process."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It might not be a pretty picture but the family is safe and the carpets don't need to be replaced. I call that a win.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I would suggest a Mossberg 500, that will put more than a few holes in someone.
    Well I have a Remington 870 myself, but close enough.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well I have a Remington 870 myself, but close enough.
    I have the Mossberg 500 Persuader myself, but I guess the key to either or is "12 gauge" behind the Make and model..

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    That area has been the HOOD for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by gatech33 View Post
    The homeowner says he was just not going to take it. It was daylight and he says his three vehicles were in the driveway when he heard glass breaking in not just one but two of his front windows, and then saw an arm reaching in to unlock the door. That's when he grabbed his 9mm and cocked his gun.
    When they break in during the middle of the day with 3 cars in front of the house, they know there are going to be people there. That puts these crooks in a whole different category from petty burglars. It sounds like they were probably going to assault and/or kill the residents.

I'm also baffled over the whole "round fell out of the chamber." Maybe they meant to say a round was fired from the chamber? That would do a lot more to scare the scumbags off. Or maybe that is the new phrase to use when you shoot somebody.. "Ooops.. a round accidentally fell out of my chamber and went straight through this guy's head.."

Not sure about the weapon but you can bet the shorts that were left behind were "loaded". :)

Links