BAD: Never Bring a Gun to an Oatmeal Fight

This is a discussion on BAD: Never Bring a Gun to an Oatmeal Fight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; IMHO, the CHL holder made several mistakes including chasing the guy down, stopping vehicles with the guy, getting out of his car, getting out with ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Thunder71

Thread: BAD: Never Bring a Gun to an Oatmeal Fight

BAD: Never Bring a Gun to an Oatmeal Fight

IMHO, the CHL holder made several mistakes including chasing the guy down, stopping vehicles with the guy, getting out of his car, getting out with his gun drawn.....

May be more to the story but anyway....

Outdoor News

A grand jury will decide whether charges should be filed in a road rage case that involved one man tossing a bowl of oatmeal at another man who had pulled a pistol, Texas City police said.

The incident happened about 9 a.m. Monday on state Highway 146 near Loop 197 in Texas City.

A 49-year-old man and his wife were driving northbound on state Highway 146 in their red Mercedes, while their 20-year-old daughter followed in a black Mercedes, according to police reports.

The father reported looking in his rearview mirror and noticing a man in a white Chevy pickup too close to his daughter’s car.

The father told police he saw the truck driver flailing his arms in an “agitated state,” Capt. Brian Goetschius said.

The father pulled over to the side of the road, as did his daughter. The driver of the truck kept going, but the father gave chase.

“There was evidentially some swerving between the two vehicles, and the two exchanged words and were cussing at each other,” Goetschius said.

The two men pulled over near the Highway 146 overpass at Loop 197, where both got out of the car.

The driver of the truck got out first and had a bowl of oatmeal in his hand, according to police records.

The driver of the Mercedes grabbed his pistol and confronted the driver of the truck.

“Fearing for his safety, (the driver of the truck) tossed his bowl of oatmeal at (the man with the gun) to distract him and get away,” said Goetschius, reading from the police reports.

During the argument, Pct. 5 Constable Mike Montez drove up and took the pistol away from the 49-year-old Texas City man, who police confirmed had a concealed handgun permit.

Initially, the gun owner was arrested but was not charged. After spending the morning in jail, he was released with no charges.

Goetschius said the case would be referred to a grand jury to determine whether any charges would be filed.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

Driving with a bowl of oatmeal sounds safe...

I don't know, but I hear that oatmeal can be deadly.
    This gun owner is wrong on many fronts...chasing and continuing the incident doesn't sound like he was in fear of his life to me.
    I'd say that the gun toter is in for some 'rough road' ahead.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Plenty of stupidity to go around.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Grand jury may indite the idiot,your suppose to try to deescalate a situation,not chase a vehicle you feel was tailgating your daughter,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    As usual, only one side of this story from the police report. As I read the story I noted that the father was driving a red mercedes and the daughter followed in a blackmercedes. The guy in the truck was following his daughter too closely and flailing his arms in an "agitated state" as seen through the fathers rear view mirror. Pretty hard to flail your arms eating a bowl of oatmeal while driving I would bet. Since both the father and daughter (didn't catch her age) were driving mercedes seems the father may have more than just a little $$$$$$. Bet nothing ever comes of it. Just my .02.

Hello everyone!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The last time my father and I was driving together and someone tailgated my father we both slowed down and did a rolling roadblock on the interstate doing 60 in a 70 MPH zone until are exit. No pistols were drawn and no oatmeal was thrown lol.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Too many people with hot tempers. My hunch is that the guy with the oatmeal caused a problem
    but dad finished it in an entirely inappropriate manner. Dads have a way of doing that when
    their daughters are being threatened in some manner.

The prosecutor and Grand Jury will somehow have to sort it all out.

Good thing the LEO showed up and put a stop to the multiple acts of stupidity.

When the guy in the truck went on it should have been end of story.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post
    When the guy in the truck went on it should have been end of story.

THIS!!!!! x 1000!!!!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The bounty of stupidity traced back to its seed: "...the father gave chase."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Maybe they were steel-cut oats. They'd offer a fiber-packed punch!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Links