GOOD: July 4th home invader with knife shot when he approached CPL-holder on street

GOOD: July 4th home invader with knife shot when he approached CPL-holder on street

This is a discussion on GOOD: July 4th home invader with knife shot when he approached CPL-holder on street within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The local paper tells the story pretty well. There are three articles they've posted that I'll provide below. TL;DR: man with knife chased out of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: GOOD: July 4th home invader with knife shot when he approached CPL-holder on street

The local paper tells the story pretty well. There are three articles they've posted that I'll provide below.
    TL;DR: man with knife chased out of house by home-owner with hammer. Man with knife approaches man in car who has a CPL. Man with knife is shot three times. In surgery, expected to survive. Shooter was questioned and released same-day.

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND A man was taken to a hospital on Monday morning with gunshot wounds after a home invasion on Bainbridge Island.

Police received a call at 8:23 a.m. reporting that shots were fired on the 500 block of Wood Avenue, according to a press release from Bainbridge police. Officers arrived on the scene and found a man holding a gun over another man, who had gunshot wounds and was lying on the ground. Officers ordered the man to put the gun down, and he complied, according to Bainbridge Island police. He was detained by police while a crew from the Bainbridge Island Fire Department treated the man with the wounds.

Officers were able to determine that the man who was shot had been found earlier in a home on Stetson Avenue. He was going through the kitchen when the homeowner walked in and confronted him. The man armed himself with a knife and came at the homeowner, who left the house and headed to the backyard, while asking the man to leave.

The man attempted to reach for the homeowner's children, according to police, and the homeowner armed himself with a hammer. The man fled the house.

The man still had the knife when he fled onto Wood Avenue and confronted a man who was sitting in his vehicle. When the man with the knife moved closer, the man in the vehicle fired three rounds, according to police. All three rounds hit the man with the knife, and he was detained by the man in the vehicle until police arrived.

The suspect was transported to a hospital, though Bainbridge police aren't specifying which one. The suspect is in surgery.

Read more: Suspect shot after alleged home invasion on Bainbridge Island Kitsap Sun

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND Police continue to investigate the apparent Fourth of July burglary and shooting of a man in his mid-20s in Winslow.

Detectives were unable to interview the man, who suffered three gunshots in the altercation, Tuesday at Harborview Medical Center. The man, who is hospitalized, is expected to recover, police said.

Police did not disclose the identities of those involved Tuesday.

Officers were called to the 500 block of Wood Avenue at 8:23 a.m. Monday for a man with a gun standing over another man.

The police investigation so far has revealed the gunshot victim was burglazing a home when the homeowner confronted him. Eventually, a man driving by, who did not know the suspect or homeowner, also got into a confrontation with the suspect, which ended in the driver shooting the suspect.

Police believe the driver was legally defending himself and was lawfully carrying a gun.

Read more: Investigators continue to probe Bainbridge burglary, shooting Kitsap Sun

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND Police are still investigating a series of events that happened Monday morning on a quiet, dead-end street in Winslow that sent a man with a knife to the hospital with three gunshot wounds after he confronted another man.

The man who was shot did not receive life-threatening injuries and will recover, according to Bainbridge Island Police Chief Jon Fehlman. Police did not release the man's age or residency Monday, but Fehlman said officers believe he is in his mid-20s.

His shooter was interviewed and released by police.

"The gentleman who did the shooting was defending himself," said Fehlman, adding the man has a concealed-weapons permit.

Police are waiting for the man who was shot to recover further from surgery so they can interview him about what happened.

Neighbors who live on Wood Avenue, the narrow street where the shooting occurred, were surprised to learn the bangs they heard Monday just before 8:30 a.m. were gunshots and not fireworks.

"I'm really surprised," said a neighbor who did not wish to be identified. "I've never heard of anything like this here before."

Police were called at 8:23 a.m. for reports of a man with a gun and shots fired on the 500 block of Wood Avenue, according to a news release from Bainbridge police. When officers arrived, they found a man holding a gun over another man who had gunshot wounds to the lower half of his body.

Officers ordered the man to put down the gun and he complied. Bainbridge Island Fire Department medics responded and treated the man with the wounds and took him to a hospital where he underwent surgery.

After interviewing the man with the gun and other witnesses, police learned the man who was shot was apparently involved in a burglary that had just happened at a Stetson Place home. The homeowner there told police he confronted the man in the kitchen, where he found the suspect going through drawers and cabinets.

The intruder grabbed a knife and came at the homeowner, who went from the house into his backyard and repeatedly asked the man to leave. The homeowner's children were behind him and at one point the homeowner thought the man was trying to reach for them, so the homeowner armed himself with a hammer, Fehlman said. The suspect then left the house with the knife.

That's when he turned the corner of Wood Avenue and approached the man sitting in his car. Fehlman said the driver was lost and using his cellphone to find directions when the suspect confronted him with the knife. The driver had a gun in his car and fired three rounds, all of them hitting the suspect. The man detained the suspect until police arrived.

Neither the homeowner nor the driver knew the suspect, Fehlman said.

Because their interviews were limited Monday, officers hope to speak more with the suspect Monday night or Tuesday to learn why he was in the house.

Fehlman said police plan to arrest the suspect on several charges when released from the hospital.

Read more: Bainbridge police still piecing together Monday shooting in Winslow Kitsap Sun

Shoot three times, must of not been his time to die.

Maybe BG will have long amount of hard time so as to be able to repent of home invasion.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Fourth update with some new info:

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND — A burglary suspect continues to recover after he was shot Monday morning in Winslow.

Bainbridge police identified the suspect as a 23-year-old Bainbridge resident with a criminal record.

The man who shot him was identified as a Bremerton resident.

Officers were called to the 500 block of Wood Avenue at 8:23 a.m. after the Bremerton man fired three shots into the suspect's lower body.

According to police, the Bainbridge man was burglarizing a nearby home on Stetson Avenue. He fled after a confrontation with someone who lived at the Stetson home.

The Bremerton man driving along Wood then got into a confrontation with the suspect. According to police, the man defended himself with a gun when the suspect brandished a knife.

"The suspect made demands of the victim and then attempted to assault the victim with a knife," police said in a statement.

The Bremerton man did not know the suspect or the residents of the home where the alleged burglary occurred.

No charges will be filed against him.

The suspect was on parole during the shooting and was facing charges related to other matters, police said.

He was flown to Seattle Harborview Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery on Monday.

Bainbridge police have announced no charges related to the Monday incidents.

They are continuing their investigation.

Read more: Bainbridge Island burglary suspect continues recovery after shooting Kitsap Sun

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

So the home invader attempted to get to the homeowners children and the homeowner had what... a hammer! It took a good Samaritan with a gun to end the event.

I bet the homeowners kids are telling their dad to get a friggon gun.
    garyacman likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds like this guy needs to find a new career, for his own sake.

Kind of stupid.... let's see, it didn't work here, so let's try it on this guy in the car over here, uh oh ..... he's armed.

Talk about a bad day.... thank goodness.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Aaand a follow-up here with a few more details, including the name of the suspect. He and I were in the same grade and went to school together until he dropped out or switched schools or something. I remember him being one of the trouble-makers. Anyway, here's the article:

PORT ORCHARD — Court documents made public Friday revealed more details about the apparent July 4 burglary attempt on Bainbridge Island that left the suspect hospitalized with gunshot wounds.

Cody Allen Foard Knight, 23, of Bainbridge Island was charged with first-degree burglary and robbery on Friday in Kitsap County District Court. Knight had spent most of the week at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, recovering from the three gunshot wounds he sustained Monday morning in the unusual incident on a normally quiet Bainbridge street.

Knight had an extensive criminal background, including a previous theft on Bainbridge Island, and appeared to have been under the influence of drugs during the July 4 incident, according to court documents.

According to a Bainbridge police report, the incident began when an 8-year-old boy told his father that Knight was rummaging around in the kitchen of their home on Stetson Way on Bainbridge. When the homeowner told Knight to leave, Knight armed himself with a large knife from the kitchen.

Knight appeared to be high on drugs and was not acting rationally, according to the report. Knight reportedly told the homeowner that "they're out to get me."

The man backed out of his kitchen, with Knight and the large knife in pursuit. When Knight appeared to threaten the 8-year-old, the homeowner grabbed a hammer, and Knight fled.

Knight ran north on Wood Avenue, about 150 yards from the Stetson Way home. He approached a second man, who was in a parked vehicle looking up directions on his phone.

The second man told police he thought Knight was coming over to complain about where he was parked. He didn't pay much attention to Knight until he brandished the knife and demanded he hand over the gun lying on the car's floor.

The man leaned over to the passenger side in an attempt to get away from Knight, but Knight reached into the car with the knife, according to police.

Fearing for his life, the man grabbed his gun and shot at Knight.

The victim said Knight moved little and still held the knife. Still fearful, he said, he shot at Knight two more times before he fell.

The victim continued to aim his gun at Knight until police arrived.

Police stated the shooter acted in self-defense and will not be charged.

If convicted of the charges, Knight could receive life in prison and/or a $50,000 fine.

His next court appearance is scheduled for July 28. Until then, he is being held at Kitsap County jail on $500,000 bail.

The July 4 incident is Knight's second criminal incident on Bainbridge Island. On Feb. 2, 2007, Knight stole a flat-screen television from a home on North Town Drive Northeast, roughly two miles from July 4 incident. He exchanged the TV for narcotics, according to police reports. He was convicted of second-degree burglary.

Knight has had other run-ins with law as well.

On Nov. 17, 2009, he was jailed for nearly a year for third-degree theft on Bainbridge Island and on Jan. 28, 2007, he was convicted of fourth-degree assault in Poulsbo.

In 2004, when he was 15, Knight was convicted of burglary in the second degree in Kitsap County.

Read more: Robbery, burglary charges for suspect in July 4 incident on Bainbridge Kitsap Sun

Did I mention I gave a couple of the responding officers (who I happen to know) a ride to the scene? I saw them booking it on foot a couple blocks from where they were headed and asked if they wanted a ride. Hopped on the side of the Suburban and said "go go go." Some bystander saw us going by and said, sarcastically, "ooh, that's tactical." =)

By the time I got down there, two bicycle officers and one in a cruiser had already arrived, and the scene was pretty well secured.

I listened to the LE radio traffic, and the first responding officer said something to the effect of, "it looks like he has the suspect at gunpoint." It was nice to hear that the story was told straight and was relayed to officers accurately before they showed up.

Every now and then things do go right. I'm glad no one was hurt but the suspect.

And again, case in point for being armed while you are inside your home. Especially if you have small children. You can't go spinning the combination on your safe when an armed intruder is in your home threatening your children. And it just adds insult to injury if the guy is threatening your family with one of your own kitchen knives! The best place for your gun is on your person.

Are there times when I take my gun off while I'm home? Sure. But it's on me all day long anyway, so it's not a big deal to keep it holstered and on me when I get home. It's just part of my daily dress that at the end of the day, I don't really know it's there. For the times I do take it off, it stays within arms reach even if I move to a different room.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    "...He didn't pay much attention to Knight until he brandished the knife and demanded he hand over the gun lying on the car's floor.

The man leaned over to the passenger side in an attempt to get away from Knight, but Knight reached into the car with the knife, according to police.

Fearing for his life, the man grabbed his gun and shot at Knight..."

This is where the story went kinda' sideways for me, the guy's gun is "lying on the car's floor"...yikes. Maybe this is a topic for another thread, maybe not. And I'm sure cc in a vehicle has been discussed, ad nauseum, somewhere in this forum already, but what the heck is the guy's gun doing on the car floor, I'm assuming unsecured/unholstered, where it was clearly visible to the drug-induced perp?

Good on the guy who shot the perp. He needs to trade that gun for a .357 and then find some of the old Speer 140 grain pentagonal hollow point ammo.

Where was he shot?

I have heard that all three shots were to the suspect's back - anyone verify this? Not to defend the suspect in any way but thought you couldn't get away with that. But then, the Seattle cop walked for last year's shooting when he put 7 slugs into the back of that wood carver.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    The local paper tells the story pretty well. There are three articles they've posted that I'll provide below.
    TL;DR: man with knife chased out of house by home-owner with hammer. Man with knife approaches man in car who has a CPL. Man with knife is shot three times. In surgery, expected to survive. Shooter was questioned and released same-day.

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND A man was taken to a hospital on Monday morning with gunshot wounds after a home invasion on Bainbridge Island.

Police received a call at 8:23 a.m. reporting that shots were fired on the 500 block of Wood Avenue, according to a press release from Bainbridge police. Officers arrived on the scene and found a man holding a gun over another man, who had gunshot wounds and was lying on the ground. Officers ordered the man to put the gun down, and he complied, according to Bainbridge Island police. He was detained by police while a crew from the Bainbridge Island Fire Department treated the man with the wounds.

Officers were able to determine that the man who was shot had been found earlier in a home on Stetson Avenue. He was going through the kitchen when the homeowner walked in and confronted him. The man armed himself with a knife and came at the homeowner, who left the house and headed to the backyard, while asking the man to leave.

The man attempted to reach for the homeowner's children, according to police, and the homeowner armed himself with a hammer. The man fled the house.

The man still had the knife when he fled onto Wood Avenue and confronted a man who was sitting in his vehicle. When the man with the knife moved closer, the man in the vehicle fired three rounds, according to police. All three rounds hit the man with the knife, and he was detained by the man in the vehicle until police arrived.

The suspect was transported to a hospital, though Bainbridge police aren't specifying which one. The suspect is in surgery.

Read more: Suspect shot after alleged home invasion on Bainbridge Island Kitsap Sun

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND Police continue to investigate the apparent Fourth of July burglary and shooting of a man in his mid-20s in Winslow.

Detectives were unable to interview the man, who suffered three gunshots in the altercation, Tuesday at Harborview Medical Center. The man, who is hospitalized, is expected to recover, police said.

Police did not disclose the identities of those involved Tuesday.

Officers were called to the 500 block of Wood Avenue at 8:23 a.m. Monday for a man with a gun standing over another man.

The police investigation so far has revealed the gunshot victim was burglazing a home when the homeowner confronted him. Eventually, a man driving by, who did not know the suspect or homeowner, also got into a confrontation with the suspect, which ended in the driver shooting the suspect.

Police believe the driver was legally defending himself and was lawfully carrying a gun.

Read more: Investigators continue to probe Bainbridge burglary, shooting Kitsap Sun

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND Police are still investigating a series of events that happened Monday morning on a quiet, dead-end street in Winslow that sent a man with a knife to the hospital with three gunshot wounds after he confronted another man.

The man who was shot did not receive life-threatening injuries and will recover, according to Bainbridge Island Police Chief Jon Fehlman. Police did not release the man's age or residency Monday, but Fehlman said officers believe he is in his mid-20s.

His shooter was interviewed and released by police.

"The gentleman who did the shooting was defending himself," said Fehlman, adding the man has a concealed-weapons permit.

Police are waiting for the man who was shot to recover further from surgery so they can interview him about what happened.

Neighbors who live on Wood Avenue, the narrow street where the shooting occurred, were surprised to learn the bangs they heard Monday just before 8:30 a.m. were gunshots and not fireworks.

"I'm really surprised," said a neighbor who did not wish to be identified. "I've never heard of anything like this here before."

Police were called at 8:23 a.m. for reports of a man with a gun and shots fired on the 500 block of Wood Avenue, according to a news release from Bainbridge police. When officers arrived, they found a man holding a gun over another man who had gunshot wounds to the lower half of his body.

Officers ordered the man to put down the gun and he complied. Bainbridge Island Fire Department medics responded and treated the man with the wounds and took him to a hospital where he underwent surgery.

After interviewing the man with the gun and other witnesses, police learned the man who was shot was apparently involved in a burglary that had just happened at a Stetson Place home. The homeowner there told police he confronted the man in the kitchen, where he found the suspect going through drawers and cabinets.

The intruder grabbed a knife and came at the homeowner, who went from the house into his backyard and repeatedly asked the man to leave. The homeowner's children were behind him and at one point the homeowner thought the man was trying to reach for them, so the homeowner armed himself with a hammer, Fehlman said. The suspect then left the house with the knife.

That's when he turned the corner of Wood Avenue and approached the man sitting in his car. Fehlman said the driver was lost and using his cellphone to find directions when the suspect confronted him with the knife. The driver had a gun in his car and fired three rounds, all of them hitting the suspect. The man detained the suspect until police arrived.

Neither the homeowner nor the driver knew the suspect, Fehlman said.

Because their interviews were limited Monday, officers hope to speak more with the suspect Monday night or Tuesday to learn why he was in the house.

Fehlman said police plan to arrest the suspect on several charges when released from the hospital.

Read more: Bainbridge police still piecing together Monday shooting in Winslow Kitsap Sun

Sponsored Links