UN-armed citizen success story

This is a discussion on UN-armed citizen success story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A friend of my wife's (if Bags reads this, it was Sabrina) was the intended victim of an armed robbery in Montgomery, AL a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UN-armed citizen success story

UN-armed citizen success story

A friend of my wife's (if Bags reads this, it was Sabrina) was the intended victim of an armed robbery in Montgomery, AL a few weeks ago.

She had gone to a gas station to meet up with her sister. Since she was going to be in the parking lot, she left her purse locked in her car instead of carrying it with her. Soon, she and her sister were confronted by a mutant on a bike. He pulled out a pistol and demanded their purses.

They both put their hands up and started to panic. She tried to tell the guy that she didn't have a purse, but he wouldn't hear it. he just kept waving the gun at them and demanded their purses. She says after what seemed like a long time (probably a few seconds in reality) she got tired of staring down the barrel of a gun and went from very afraid to very angry. She said she felt that, at that point, she had nothing to lose and just wanted the situation to end.

She took a step forward, looked the creep in the eye and said, "You better shoot me now or get that f***ing gun out of my face!" After a second of consideration, he took off on his bike, purse-less.

I say bravo to her for refusing to be a victim.

2. Remove Ads

Talking

Hottness...! She should have kicked him in the crotch too... BUT, I believe this would be ineffective as he left those at home.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    A friend of my wife's (if Bags reads this, it was Sabrina) was the intended victim of an armed robbery in Montgomery, AL a few weeks ago.

She had gone to a gas station to meet up with her sister. Since she was going to be in the parking lot, she left her purse locked in her car instead of carrying it with her. Soon, she and her sister were confronted by a mutant on a bike. He pulled out a pistol and demanded their purses.

They both put their hands up and started to panic. She tried to tell the guy that she didn't have a purse, but he wouldn't hear it. he just kept waving the gun at them and demanded their purses. She says after what seemed like a long time (probably a few seconds in reality) she got tired of staring down the barrel of a gun and went from very afraid to very angry. She said she felt that, at that point, she had nothing to lose and just wanted the situation to end.

She took a step forward, looked the creep in the eye and said, "You better shoot me now or get that f***ing gun out of my face!" After a second of consideration, he took off on his bike, purse-less.

I say bravo to her for refusing to be a victim.
    It appears that Sabrina tells the story slightly differently from Stephanie, who is in fact her sister-in-law. Stephanie was married to Darrell, Sabrina's brother, who died last August at age 31. Stephanie had visited with Sabrina and her boyfriend a day or two before and somehow at the restaurant had gotten the boyfriend's debit card and he had gotten her's. They met to exchange the cards.

Stephanie had her daughter, Makayla, in the car with her. The boyfriend got out to meet Stephanie and somehow got spooked by seeing someone. Then he and Stephanie got out of their cars (Sabrina never got out) and met to exchange the cards. Then the dude on the bike comes up and pulls the pistol. Stephanie is a big girl and though scared she never put her hands up. She told the guy, "My husband died less than a year ago and my purse has a lot of my memories of him and you aren't getting it." The guy stared at her for a few seconds, laughed, and rode off.

When Stephanie got back to her car, MaKayla told her that she thought the guy was going to shoot her. At this point the full realization of what she had done hit Stephanie. She said she had to sit there in the car for 10 or 15 minutes before she could crank up and drive home.

I realize that there is the possibility that two people could have had similar incidents happen. But the chances of two of them happening in Montgomery, AL, meeting at a gas station, having the BG on a bike, happening a couple of weeks ago and involving someone named Sabrina make it unlikely. If the gas station was on the west side of Montgomery on Highway 80 near the airport then it has to be the same incident. Either way they are fortunate that the BG did not shoot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

She got lucky. A BG with balls would have capped her then and there for the "diss".
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    It appears that Sabrina tells the story slightly differently from Stephanie, who is in fact her sister-in-law. Stephanie was married to Darrell, Sabrina's brother, who died last August at age 31. Stephanie had visited with Sabrina and her boyfriend a day or two before and somehow at the restaurant had gotten the boyfriend's debit card and he had gotten her's. They met to exchange the cards.

Stephanie had her daughter, Makayla, in the car with her. The boyfriend got out to meet Stephanie and somehow got spooked by seeing someone. Then he and Stephanie got out of their cars (Sabrina never got out) and met to exchange the cards. Then the dude on the bike comes up and pulls the pistol. Stephanie is a big girl and though scared she never put her hands up. She told the guy, "My husband died less than a year ago and my purse has a lot of my memories of him and you aren't getting it." The guy stared at her for a few seconds, laughed, and rode off.

When Stephanie got back to her car, MaKayla told her that she thought the guy was going to shoot her. At this point the full realization of what she had done hit Stephanie. She said she had to sit there in the car for 10 or 15 minutes before she could crank up and drive home.

I realize that there is the possibility that two people could have had similar incidents happen. But the chances of two of them happening in Montgomery, AL, meeting at a gas station, having the BG on a bike, happening a couple of weeks ago and involving someone named Sabrina make it unlikely. If the gas station was on the west side of Montgomery on Highway 80 near the airport then it has to be the same incident. Either way they are fortunate that the BG did not shoot.

Whoa!

Ok then. Well, I heard it all third hand... thanks for the real story.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Au contraire, mon ami.

I think the BG is lucky SHE didn't do more.

Good for her, and as intemperate as it might be, I wish she had been armed.

In all seriousness, though, she is very lucky.

I'm glad she's safe.

VIP Member
    Whoa!

Ok then. Well, I heard it all third hand... thanks for the real story.
    Either way, it's a great story and like Randy I wish Stephanie had been armed. The guy is just lucky that she did not hit him with her purse when he lowered the gun to ride off.

My wife went with Stephanie and her children to 6 Flags (GA) last month and ended up staying at a place that wasn't quite what she had expected. Since she couldn't carry her pistol into 6 Flags she had locked it up in the COM gun safe. When they got to the motel, Leah made an excuse to go out to the car and get her pistol. On the way home Stephanie said that she sure had wished during the night that they had a gun. My wife just smiled and nodded her head.

Stephanie knows that Leah shoots, but has no idea she carries. We are trying to figure out a way to get her interested in shooting and then to steer her toward concealed carry. She and the children live with her grandfather who has some health issues. She takes care of him and the kids. There is probably a shotgun in the house, but I doubt she knows how to use it. Leah keeps bringing up the shooting, protection, etc and expecting Stephanie to ask something about it. With the 6 Flags comment and the robbery attempt, we expect to be doing some training and equipping in the not to distant future.

Stephanie has had a night with some nervousness at 6 Flags and a night with fear in Montgomery, it should not take long for the light to go on.

Thanks for posting the story, I don't know why I never thought about posting it. Maybe your wife should start working on Sabrina and her boyfriend. That way we may end up with 3 new carriers from one incident.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Not to condone illegal activity, but I wouldn't have been unarmed at Six-Flags...

...I wasn't at the little fair we went to last weekend.

VIP Member
    6 Flags made the wife open her fanny pack that she was using instead of her purse. She had a little Gerber knife with a blade about 2 inches long in the fanny pack. They gave her the option of hiking back to the car to put it up, not getting in, or turning it over to them. Sometimes they don't think. She did not want to go back to the car so she gave it to them. I asked her when she got home if she had gotten a receipt and picked the knife up on the way out. She looked at me like I was from another planet.

My position is that they have the right to restrict what goes in, but they do not have the right to confiscate. Therefore they must return my property when I leave the grounds and I am just stubborn enough to stand right there for as long as it takes for them to get it right. I can imagine how they might start to get antsy if people start building up behind this one crazy dude who is either going to carry his knife or get a receipt for it so he can pick it up when he leaves. Let 'em get antsy and I will get to keep my knife or I will get a receipt. And woe be unto them if I come back as I am leaving and they can't find my knife. I always wanted to own a part of 6 Flags.
    George

Can 6 Flags force you to open your bags for inspection? Wasn't there a recent court case where the judge said it was unreasonable?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    Can 6 Flags force you to open your bags for inspection? Wasn't there a recent court case where the judge said it was unreasonable?
    I think the case your are referring to was pat downs at ball games. But no, they cannot force you to open it, they ask you to and if you refuse they don't let you in. I'm sure that they would even refund the purchase price of the ticket. At that point you've invested more than the cost of the ticket, so most people comply. In fact most people never even consider not opening the bag. My wife didn't and she knows better (or at least she does now).
    George

Luck be a lady tonight
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    It's private property. Attendees are merely agreeing to the rules in exchange for entry. Six Flags, as a property owner, can certainly require conditions to enter, as in: you want to play, you go unarmed ... but, prove it. Otherwise, no they cannot "force" you to be searched. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

That's essentially the right of private property owners to set the rules for use.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 1st, 2006 at 11:35 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Lucky the women got out of the attempted hold up unharmed. Confronting someone with a gun while I am unarmed isn't really my idea of a good time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ok, people, I am the Stephanie that this actually happened to. I am 34 years old, my husband died last August at age 34. I was the one the creep pointed the gun at. It isn't that great of a story so why my sister-in-law, Sabrina wants the glory and to change it all up is beyond me.

I had to meet Sabrina and her boyfriend John out on hwy 80 across from the airport because our bank cards had gotten mixed up. I had my purse on the hood of the car looking for a receipt when a guy rode up and told me he wanted my purse. I looked up and saw something in his hand but went right back to digging in my purse. He then said for me to give him the handbag and I looked up again to see very clearly this the gun pointed at me. He was four or five feet away from me. I have been through a lot in the last year and I just wasn't gonna put up with anything else. Sabrina is sitting in the car unable to speak or blow the horn or anything. Her boyfriend standing beside me is just looking around in a panic and I knew there were too many people pumping gas for this guy to shoot me and take my things. I picked up my purse and started backing away and very loudly said that my husband was dead and he(the gunman) wasn't fixing to pull some trash like this on me. Goofy thing to say but that is what came out. I then got in my car and began to shake and while trying to put the car in drive thankfully kept putting the car in neutral cause I intended to run him down:) I finally get out on the road and then try and explain to my 9 year old daughter that I probably shouldn't have gotten loud with a gun pointed at me but that there were too many people around in my professional opinion for that guy to really shoot me. I don't know, I am just glad he didn't shoot me and that he didn't take my purse because I do have things as trivial as my husband's drivers liscense with me and I want to keep those things and I don't feel I should have to live in fear all the time and leave things at home because someone might take it from me. I don't think I can carry a weapon cause I am subject to get angry to easy and I don't want to do something stupid that I can't take back except maybe tell Sabrina to get her own story. I haven't shot a gun since the 80's in highschool. I shot two out of three skeets or something in hunter's safety class. Had no idea what happened to me would be on the net. I used this as an example to my children not to lie cause you never know when your words will come back to bite you in the butt:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links