Young man shot when he opened his front door - Page 2

Young man shot when he opened his front door

This is a discussion on Young man shot when he opened his front door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The first that came into my mind when reading this story was: STUPID ! If you hear your front door being knocked at 12:00 AM, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Young man shot when he opened his front door

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The first that came into my mind when reading this story was: STUPID! If you hear your front door being knocked at 12:00 AM, there is a 99% that the person behind it is a criminal and not your neighbor in need of a bowl of sugar. Some people just live in a sugar coated World where they think evil is only present in the movies.
    8th ID and RemMod597 like this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Reading stories like this make me want to carry my pistol in my hip even when I'm at home. But I think at some point I'd start wondering if I have some sort of mental problem.

I guess I have mental problems. I have a firearm on me right now as I type this. I'm pretty sure home invaders aren't going to let me run upstairs and get a pistol out of a safe, etc. Paranoid? NO, Prepared...and hoping I never have to use it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I carry my Glock where ever it is legal, especially at home. I usually don't go anywhere that it is illegal to take my gun with me.

Since it is always with me, when I open the door I have it, and I am the one that opens the door.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Reading stories like this make me want to carry my pistol in my hip even when I'm at home. But I think at some point I'd start wondering if I have some sort of mental problem.
    I am quite sane and I carry at home all the time except in bed.

My gun is in the safest place it can be, in the holster on my hip.

I can't sprint much anymore to go get the gun if needed. Besides, it feels just like wearing my multitool all the time.

Feel naked without it.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The only time I'm not carrying is when I'm naked. And even then there's no guarantee I'm unarmed...
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    It's common knowledge that PD's in cities deny they have a gang problem until it is out of control and request outside help. Seldom does the news media report a vicious crime as gang related. Why? I don't know, other than there is no advantage to do so. Reporting it would make the Chief of Police and PD look like they can't handle the problem. Those that can afford it may possibly move, leaving the welfare recipients by themselves with no tax base to rape. Lower property values and a city in decay. Mass hysteria and a demand the PD do their jobs. Gee... if I were at the top of the food chain I'd be zipped mouth too! Disagreements?
    In our area everything is reported as gang related! If a motorcycle club rides through it's a "Gang" and the police need to shut down this, that and the other thing, tho they never seem to break any laws...Teenagers are always reported as "Teen Gang"...I am not say there are not street gangs and criminals here, but I think that the media supports our ever climbing police budget by reporting everything as "gang related". We just got a local tax increase to form a new "Gang Task Force" complete with armored personnel carry with battering ram on the front, and 6 new officers to focus on it...we are a relatively small town (in 2006, the last year data is available that I could find anyway..we had one of our worst years for murder...there were 2) I wish they would just concentrate on arresting those who break the law and then prosecuting them, rather then trying to use "fear" and scare tactics to increase their budget. A criminal is a criminal...not because he is hispanic, or dresses a certain way, or has a life style one finds objectionable ( but lives a legal life), or associates with those one might find questionable...a criminal is criminal because he actually breaks the law... My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    100% of home invasion/burglaries occur at home,I carry 24/7 and I don't have a mental problem,I have a realistic awareness problem

A guy I once worked with carried his gun 24/7. He even wrapped it up in plastic and took it into the shower with him. We all thought that was hilarious. What a nut. Until the night he came out of the shower to find a burglar armed with a knife had come through his window. Yes you can fire a revolver through a plastic bag..

Spuk!

When your conducting business you need to make sure the customer you anger dosen't settle his beef's with lead. My $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links