Woman shoots, kills intruder in Charlotte home invasion

This is a discussion on Woman shoots, kills intruder in Charlotte home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By Steve Lyttle slyttle@charlotteobserver.com Posted: Friday, Jul. 08, 2011 More Information Mecklenburg County Arrests - 07.07.2011 CMPD officer hurt in hit-and-run A woman shot and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Woman shoots, kills intruder in Charlotte home invasion

By Steve Lyttle
    slyttle@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Friday, Jul. 08, 2011
    More Information

Mecklenburg County Arrests - 07.07.2011
    CMPD officer hurt in hit-and-run

A woman shot and killed one of two men who forced their way into her house Friday morning in an apparent botched home invasion and robbery, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say.

Investigators are working to identify the man who was killed in the confrontation, which happened shortly after 9:30 a.m. in the 2400 block of Finchley Drive. That is in the Shannon Park neighborhood, near the Eastway Drive-Shamrock Road intersection.

A witness told police that two armed men walked up to a vehicle parked in the driveway of the home and forced the male occupant into the house, where they began beating him. Police say when the female resident of the house saw what was happening, she fired at the two men, killing one of them. His body was found by officers inside the home.

The second man ran off, and police say they are looking for him. He is described as a black male, of medium height. He was wearing jean shorts and had shoulder-length dreads, according to police reports.

Police have been using their helicopter and K-9 dog search units in an effort to find him.

The man who was assaulted was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, and police say his injuries are not life-threatening. The woman was not hurt.

Homicide detectives are questioning the man and woman who lived at the house.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call Homicide detectives at 704-432-TIPS. Or information can be called to Crime Stoppers, 704-334-1600.
    Justified likes this.

Nice shootin lady

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    A witness told police that two armed men walked up to a vehicle parked in the driveway of the home and forced the male occupant into the house, where they began beating him. Police say when the female resident of the house saw what was happening, she fired at the two men, killing one of them.
    Which begs the question...if someone was forcing you into your own home at gunpoint, and you knew your wife was inside, what would you do? My wife and I have a code word to use when speaking to each other under duress, so I am confident that my wife would be armed and ready within seconds of me coming into our home and using the code word.

I wonder if these folks were mixed up with the wrong crowd or if they are random victims...
    Justified likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Just one more indicator in a long list of indicators why a person should be armed while inside their home.

I'm glad things turned out okay and no one was seriously hurt. No mention was made regarding the male resident who was accosted at his car regarding him having a gun on him or a ccw permit, but I'll assume he did not.

Which brings up the female resident having to shoot in what sounded like close proximity of male resident. Which means he's lucky he wasn't hit by friendly fire. Maybe if he had been carrying a gun on his person as he left for work, it would have been settled outside and the home never breached. But that's pure speculation.

Again, I'm glad it turned out okay and no innocents were seriously hurt. And at least one of the two robbers won't be doing that again. Good job on the woman homeowner!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Chalk this one up in the good column. I wonder...if he'll be able to say the words though..."gee thanks honey, for savin' me"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Judging from what I know about the neighborhood area, somebody probably owed somebody else money for drugs.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Nice shootin lady
    really nice shooting would not be costing the tax payer to patch him up.

and as for the accomplice---how would it play out if, when the injured one is in transit and before the doc's start patching him---he has to give up his accomplice and location. thats is more than a fair trade---him telling the law about him and his friend breaking it and than getting free medical care. FWIW
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    really nice shooting would not be costing the tax payer to patch him up.

and as for the accomplice---how would it play out if, when the injured one is in transit and before the doc's start patching him---he has to give up his accomplice and location. thats is more than a fair trade---him telling the law about him and his friend breaking it and than getting free medical care. FWIW
    I think you may have misread the story. There is no "patching up" at tax payers expense. He was killed outright and pronounced dead at the scene! The accomplice got away before he too got shot and killed.

The injured party getting "patched up" at the hospital was the male homeowner who was accosted by the criminals in his driveway and forced back inside the house.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think you may have misread the story. There is no "patching up" at tax payers expense. He was killed outright and pronounced dead at the scene! The accomplice got away before he too got shot and killed.

The injured party getting "patched up" at the hospital was the male homeowner who was accosted by the criminals in his driveway and forced back inside the house.
    my bad.......

in this case i am not gonna be calling in any information

well, perhaps if Uncle Fester spoke with the demised BG they may still be able to extract some information...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    my bad.......
    No worries mate, I've been guilty of misreading posts myself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Dirtbag takes dirt nap.
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    Good shooting by the woman...too bad one got away...lucky male victim.

The next time the couple leaves the house:
    Woman says: "Honey, are you carrying, or should I?"
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Please note things she did wrong: She did not call 911 and wait for phone to ring busy and dial again to tell operator her troubles.

She did not go to gun safe and carefully unlock safe retrieving properly stored gun and find proper ammo and load gun with one hand as she stays on line with 911.

She did not retreat into locked room and wait for BGs to beat up or kill her husband and then find her.

I say she did a poor job of being (you fill in the word) I thought of victim, but a great job of saving her husband and herself from a very bad situation.

I say buy her another box of ammo!!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Congrats to the lady of the house.

Bye-Bye dirtbag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm glad things turned out okay and no one was seriously hurt. No mention was made regarding the male resident who was accosted at his car regarding him having a gun on him or a ccw permit, but I'll assume he did not.
    Sitting in his parked car in his driveway, wife in the house, 9:30 Friday a.m. I'll go on a limb & assume he had just gotten in the car to leave (for work?), or had just returned home (from work?) & was jumped immediately in either scenario (stake out?).

Regardless of the actual events of this instance, it can be used as a perfect example of what can happen to those who's employers do not allow weapons in employees cars parked on their lots. This means those who observe employers policies, leave home with no firearms on them or in the car, & remain such until they get home & get into the house, including sitting in their driveway coming or going.

We have no idea from the story if this scenario applies to this individual, but it is 1 of many explanations why the husband was unarmed in the driveway, while the wife was so ready & capable of handling the situation once it rolled into the house.

But when asked why anyone would need to keep a gun in their vehicle at work, this story provides a classic example as to why. It shows what could happen when employers not only prohibit legal ccw in the workplace, but also prohibits firearms in employee's vehicles parked on their property, it leaves the employees defenseless doorstep to doorstep (at least from a firearms standpoint).
    Last edited by KimBobTex; July 9th, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links