Great Concealed Victory Story in Detroit

This is a discussion on Great Concealed Victory Story in Detroit within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad guys: Never rob a barber shop, you'll never know whats under the smock! Attempted Barber Shop Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Old School
  • 1 Post By adric22

Thread: Great Concealed Victory Story in Detroit

Bad guys: Never rob a barber shop, you'll never know whats under the smock!

Attempted Barber Shop Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Im glad all turned out ok. Sounds like the customer in the shop knew what he was doing....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Good for the customer, but does anyone else notice the negative connotations the writer threw in their about his actions?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

They are still looking for a suspect that is described as a black male with scruffy hair between the ages of 22 and 30. They say he is six feet tall with a thin build and was wearing a white tee shirt and blue shorts.
    They left out the part about the brown stain on the shorts...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    They are still looking for a suspect that is described as a black male with scruffy hair between the ages of 22 and 30. They say he is six feet tall with a thin build and was wearing a white tee shirt and blue shorts.
    They forgot to mention the large brown on the back of his shorts.

Police say the deceased has a long rap sheet. He was currently out on parole for an armed robbery conviction.
    Obviously he was released too soon. Somewhat anti self-defense I am surprised the “reporter” did not call it a lethal high capacity automatic assault pistol. Good job by the customer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They left out the part about the brown stain on the shorts...

You and msgt beat me to it :)

Cool

Another story with a happy ending.
    DamnitBob likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    In that part of Detroit I wouldn't sit in a barber chair with anything less than a 12 ga. under the smock.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Good for the customer, but does anyone else notice the negative connotations the writer threw in their about his actions?
    Not really. I did notice how he said that the customer "...opened fire and emptied his automatic clip containing multiple rounds."
    Must have been one of those newfangled firearm magazines.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    and emptied his automatic clip containing multiple rounds.

Ron Savage needs either to take a course in writing: fact verification or perhaps
    look for other employment.

not noticeably negative...it was too hard to spin this one. after all, the CCW took care of the CHILDREN and dispatched a very BG.
    much as it probably hurt Ron and his editor--there was no nasty in this story.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

The CCW man shows signs of some very good training.

Shoot BG to floor with one hand and protecting children with other.

If slide had not locked back or mag not emptied he may have took care of other BG as well.

I am beginning to thank good quality training is extremely important.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    In reading, I wasn't clear if he did any one-handed shooting. Similarly, it was impossible to know if he was point-shooting from under the smock, or if he'd been able to clear cover and sight-in (my first thought was that he point-shot, but upon reading the article again, I realized that I'd made that assumption, without any basis).

One member on my home Ohioans for Concealed Carry discussion Forum noted that the way this particular barber-shop was set up (he'd been a patron in the recent past), the shoot would have occurred at very close distances, no matter how everything else went. That's not to deride the performance or the training of the good-shot CCW/CHL shooter in this case (a man whom I'd call a hero, given how he even thought to corral the children), but it may lend some insight.

Certainly, when I'm getting my haircut, I would very much like to have that gentleman in the chair beside me, that's for-sure!!!!

One thing that I can't stop thinking about though, is that the BG seems to have fired a "warning shot." Or maybe that he was just such a bad shot that he missed, unintentionally.

Regardless, this gave the good-guy the chance to bring his pistol into play, and the turnout was very fortunate, indeed.

But look at the various citations we have, just here in our DC.com community, of strong-arm robberies where the BG(s) have either come-in shooting, or very rapidly made the decision to shoot the victim(s) and/or bystanders.

What if this BG had decided to make that first shot count? and what if it had been our hero, on the receiving side of that first shot?

Now, please understand that I'm not trying to armchair quarterback this thing. I hate that. I know from having had at least some Force-on-Force training that all the what-ifs and the couldas and wouldas all go right out the window, in the moment.

Instead, I'm just trying to paint another scenario, and to hopefully learn from both this one, as well as that hypothetical.

I try to do my due-diligence in training and practice, so that I don't lose (much) sleep at night worrying about my level of proficiency (I say "much," because I know I can - and do - always strive to do better).

But the question of "at what point do I press that trigger" is one that keeps me up at night.

I can only hope that if that God-forbid time ever comes, that I do the right thing, and that the outcome is favorable.

To the gentleman who defended the innocents in this shoot, I say good job, and that I'd hope to meet you one day and shake your hand.

Kinda reminds me of Tuco in the opening scene of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Did he finish his haircut??

Sounds like one less BG and one BG that might think twice about doing wrong.

I can't imagine anyone ever training for this exact scenario, but I have heard of people practicing drawing from a chair simulating from a restaurant, etc. Stay vigilant; "Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour."

The only way this story could have ended better is if there were two dead bad guys laying on the ground.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Links