Little Rock, AR random attack stopped by Civilian

This is a discussion on Little Rock, AR random attack stopped by Civilian within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As a preface let me just say that as of yesterday, Little Rock, AR has 39 murders thus far, and 9 in North Little Rock ...

Thread: Little Rock, AR random attack stopped by Civilian

As a preface let me just say that as of yesterday, Little Rock, AR has 39 murders thus far, and 9 in North Little Rock (Geographically the distinction is moot, it is only a legal one) for a grand total of 48 murdrers in this little "Big City" of 150,000 people. (Seattle for instance has a population of roughly 650,000 people, and they have 22 murders thus far this year)

This shooting happened 1 block from where I work. I can see the building from my office.

Shooter at business in LR is wounded by owner, police say

ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE Monday, July 31, 2006

A North Little Rock man was in stable condition Monday evening after a downtown Little Rock business owner shot him, police said.
    About 4:35 p.m., Albert Johnson, 49, entered through the rear door of the R.B. Causey Co. building at 1205 W. Sixth St. and “just started shooting,” police spokesman Lt. Terry Hastings said.
    After one round was fired, Blanchard Causey, the owner of the business, returned fire, shooting at Johnson four times and hitting him twice — once in the shoulder and once in the upper arm, Hastings said.
    Johnson fired back but didn’t hit the owner or either of the two employees in the building at the time, Hastings said.
    Johnson was taken to St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center with injuries that weren’t life threatening and he would likely be charged later, Hastings said.
    No one had any idea why Johnson would have entered the building and begun shooting, Hastings said.
    The Causey company is an unusual site for a robbery because little cash is kept on hand there, Hastings said.
    The business sells court-reporting and other data-processing equipment.

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette/RICK McFARLAND

BTW- The 39th murder victim was found 1.3 miles from my house. I drove the distance today in my truck. And no, I don't live in a "bad neighborhood", although I would argue that there is no such distinction.

Man’s body found near damaged, bloody car left along I-430
    BY JASON WIEST ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

The bloody interior of a severely damaged car found abandoned along Interstate 430 near the Rodney Parham exit Monday morning in Little Rock led to the afternoon discovery of a body less than a quarter of a mile away, the Arkansas State Police reported.
    The State Police are investigating the death as a homicide.
    The body of 27-year-old Heriberto Perez — found facedown in a culvert with severe head trauma — was lying on the east side of the road, about 100 yards south of the Markham Street overpass, according to Lt. Henry Lamar, a spokesman for the state police.
    The body was discovered about 1:30 p.m. — nearly five hours after police checked out a civilian call about an abandoned Nissan Altima on the shoulder of the interstate’s northbound lanes, he said. He would not comment on the condition of the body.
    Police didn’t know how long the car had been there, but witnesses reported seeing someone near the car about 5 a.m., Lamar said.
    Perez, who is from Bryant, borrowed the car from a friend, but police on Monday had not released the name of the owner, who is not a suspect, Lamar said.
    Police had no suspects but were still following leads late Monday night, he said.
    The car was taken to state police headquarters in southwest Little Rock for further investigation, Lamar said.
    Perez was at Legends Sports Bar at 9700 N. Rodney Parham Road until about 3:30 a.m. Monday, when he left, Lamar said.
    If ruled a homicide, it technically would be Little Rock’s 39th slaying since the beginning of the year.
    However, since it is being investigated by the state police, that agency will report it to the FBI.
    Little Rock police have investigated 38 homicides so far this year.

So, when are you guys coming to visit?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    All depends.... how many guns can we bring? lol
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    I have heard numerous things that would put Little Rock a tad low on my list - tho wife and I did stop to relish breakfast at Brown's Restaurant in 2003 on way past to head for Dallas gun show!!

Good the bizz owner was armed and at least subdued things somewhat - lucky too not to get hit. This tho is exactly the deal we keep discussing re businesses that forbid CCW within - some total demented dufus could just walk in - and no resistance to be found.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I have heard numerous things that would put Little Rock a tad low on my list.
    You wouldn't be the first. You might recall when we were the murder capitol of the Nation. HBO did a documentary called "Bangin' in Little Rock". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272104/

Supposedly, it got better for a while, and HBO came back years later and the point was to basically turn a frown upside down. Supposedly it would stay better.

My wife has one more year of her residency in Anesthesia and we will most likely be on our way to a place where people don't shoot you over the color of your hankie. Um, there are places like that right? However, I am trying to get into law school here, so we may just be here a bit longer. Maybe we can swing a spot in Fayetteville where it is more laid back as they have a law school there as well. Dunno.

What I do know is that I ain't goin' no whers without my sporty forty.

Re:

Here is a better story about it:

Store Owner Shoots Robbery Suspect

Posted on 7/31/2006 10:25:24 PM

A business owner fights back and shoots a man attempting to rob his business in Little Rock. The suspect was taken to an area hospital and was listed in stable condition Monday night. Police believe the suspect had never been inside the business before this afternoon.

Just before 5pm, Little Rock police responded to a shooting on W. 6th street, not far from the state capitol. A man walked in the back door of the R.B. Causey company with a gun drawn. The owner, R.B. Causey was inside with a gun also. After the suspect, 49, from North Little Rock fired a shot, Causey shot him twice in the shoulder.

The suspect is listed in stable condition at St. Vincent's Hospital. The owner didn't want to be on camera, but told FOX16 News he'd never seen the man before.

"It's a very unusual place to rob, they don't have very much cash on hand. Why this suspect chose this business, we'll find out once we get a chance to interview him," says Lt. Terry Hastings with LRPD.

One other employee was inside, she was unharmed. The suspect will likely be charged with 1st degree robbery. Because of it's location, Causey says he's always kept a gun at the office. Until today, he'd never used it. For police, it didn't take long to figure out who the robber was.

"We do know who the suspect is. He had his driver's license on him when he robbed the business," Hastings said.

The suspect is expected to be charged later this week with felony robbery, at which time FOX16 News will release his identity.
    http://www.upn38tv.com/news/local/st...8-D9D8ECB9BD5C

I don't think he was trying to rob the store. No one mentioned anything about him trying to get money, demanding money, etc. It sounds like he just walked in the door and started shooting.

Jeff P- If you decide to move up here I'd suggest one of the areas or smaller towns around Fayetteville but not inside the city limits.

Little Rock is a pretty safe place for people passing through, and for the people that live there. Unless you are involved in drugs, or some other criminal activity like most of the murders there this year; in which case you may eventually cross the wrong person and get killed. These are not random people shot dead in the street during a robbery.

Senior Moderator
    Little Rock is a pretty safe place for people passing through, and for the people that live there. Unless you are involved in drugs, or some other criminal activity like most of the murders there this year; in which case you may eventually cross the wrong person and get killed. These are not random people shot dead in the street during a robbery.
    It would seem to be so but its not quite the case.

A freind of mine is an LT with the gang crimes unit. I hear about all kinds of crap and most of it is gang on gang but alot of it filters onto the common folk.

My mom got her brand new Silverado truck stolen for the McCain mall parking lot. I know of two people that were held up in the parking lot...one of them had had enough that he attended a a ccw classs that I gave.

If you happen to take a wrong turn while going to the Hall of Industry where most of the gun shows are, you can end up in the wrong place very easily...and you may unknowingly be taking your life in your own hands.

I would say for the most part Little Rock is OK. Like any other city, no one or no where is immune from some of the crazy stuff that seems to happen all the time now.

The craziness in Little Rock is the main reason that Cabot and Conway are listed as two of the fastest growing citys in the nation.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i did i field trip to falcon jet , they pointed out the bullet holes in the hanger walls . showed where there cars were hit with strays . this while the crack houses were about a half a mile away . how would you like to be shot by a straggler or someone just lobbing a few rounds your way.
    elance

Thanks for the tip BigEd! Yeah, with all the college kids and bars in Fayetteville some of my friends have taken to calling it Fayettenam.

I would agree that, for the most part, if you're not dealing, doing drugs or otherwise involved in crime in LR you are about as safe as anywhere else. We did have our 40th murder yesterday in the Capitol city, and the facts of the shooting would support that inference.

However, a coworker of mine was carjacked 3 weeks ago, and the BG beat the hell out of him with a gun and robbed him. He is still not back at work. There was at least 4 rapes last month that were in the paper, and the EZmart by the Levy exist was robbed 3 times last month by three different people.

Last Sunday a mixed race couple were having brunch on the deck outside at a restaurant when a black male attacked them with a steel pipe for being with a "white devil", (the mans wife was black). Both the wife and husband suffered broken arms, and the BG was released late Sunday night.

A lot of this stuff is going on and doesn't have anything to do with where or who you hang out with.

Yes, Little Rock has its troubles just like other mid size cities. And, yes that's why I am in Cabot.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    It would seem to be so but its not quite the case.

A freind of mine is an LT with the gang crimes unit. I hear about all kinds of crap and most of it is gang on gang but alot of it filters onto the common folk.

My mom got her brand new Silverado truck stolen for the McCain mall parking lot. I know of two people that were held up in the parking lot...one of them had had enough that he attended a a ccw classs that I gave.

If you happen to take a wrong turn while going to the Hall of Industry where most of the gun shows are, you can end up in the wrong place very easily...and you may unknowingly be taking your life in your own hands.

I would say for the most part Little Rock is OK. Like any other city, no one or no where is immune from some of the crazy stuff that seems to happen all the time now.

The craziness in Little Rock is the main reason that Cabot and Conway are listed as two of the fastest growing citys in the nation.

Chicken!

I live in Jacksonville (about 10 miles outside of "the Rock") and I've been seeing a what appears to be a rising trend in violent crime around here to. My police scanner has been blowing up with reports of gang related fights, etc. Scary stuff. All the more reason to walk softly, and carry a .45.

Sponsored Links