GOOD: Home invader shot dead

This is a discussion on GOOD: Home invader shot dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed intruder shot to death in Greenacres home - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com Sixteen-year-old Joseph Wagner awoke early Sunday to the screams of his father ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Justified

Thread: GOOD: Home invader shot dead

Armed intruder shot to death in Greenacres home - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Sixteen-year-old Joseph Wagner awoke early Sunday to the screams of his father and a man he had never seen before in his life.

Seconds later, the sound of gunfire filled the house. The man, later identified as 19-year-old James Fritz, of West Palm Beach, was dead. Wagner's father, Joseph, was not.

I actually found out about this from one of my good friends. In fact I drove him down to the airport so he could catch a flight to Florida the other day. Now the kicker, this was his parent's house and the man who shot the intruder is my friend's dad.

2. Remove Ads

Good job.
    Many people are getting of the trend of people being accosted and harmed in their own homes.

Nice to see reasonable comments from the step father of the intruder.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You never know when it's going to happen. You pray your house won't ever be the target of such a thing, but to think it won't happen to you and to not be prepared for it is just sticking your head in the sand. Thank God, this homeowner was prepared.

Notice how the intruder armed himself with weapons of opportunity after he gained entry into the home. This is very common and I discussed why in another thread recently. See the link below.

Post #49 Thread: Turned Out To Be Nothing, but drew entering my house.

From the news report.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunSentinel.com
    "He's basically a good kid," said his stepfather, Michael Tapp
    Isn't that always the case. They are always a "good kid" or "just starting to turn their life around." I realize the family of these dirtbags have to say something, but face it, their son was a potential killer. This kid in particular showed no fear, and even advanced on the homeowner armed with kitchen knives he picked up inside the home. This "basically good kid" knew exactly what he was doing. And I have little doubt he would have stabbed or killed the homeowner if that's what it took to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSentinel.com
    Fritz grabbed two large kitchen knives, according to Greenacres police. When the elder Wagner confronted him, instead of dropping the knives, he rushed toward Wagner.
    Homeowner was more than justified in shooting. It's a horrible thing to have to do. But the alternatives are... Well, Dr. Petite and his tortured and slain family from Connecticut come to mind.

I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Good job for your friends dad. He did the correct and only thing to do. I hope he has no lasting trauma.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree re the "good kid" remark, which is almost universal.

This was also voiced by the stepfather, as posted in the SunSentinel, which is unusual.

Tapp said he wanted the Wagners to know there were no hard feelings.

"I probably would have done the same thing myself," he said.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I agree re the "good kid" remark, which is almost universal.

This was also voiced by the stepfather, as posted in the SunSentinel, which is unusual.

Tapp said he wanted the Wagners to know there were no hard feelings.

"I probably would have done the same thing myself," he said.
    I'm guessing that the stepfather's sentiments may not reflect those of the perp's blood relatives.

Tough deal for the person who had to shoot him. At least he & his family were not physically harmed.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Ended as it should have. You are responsible for your own decisions, and the results they bring.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y

Even "good kids" are accountable for their actions.
    Nathanimal likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Another home owner who was prepared to defend his household, and he did it very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nothing is ever good about dead. However......good folks dispatching those that do evil helps us all, and that is good. Thumbs up for the deed!

Here's a follow-up article with the 911 call and a video of the homeowner, my friend's dad, recounting the shooting.

Homeowner kills early morning intruder - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach

EXCLUSIVE: Homeowner recounts shooting intruder - CBS Channel 12 News

I'm facebook friends with the girl who made the 911 call and what's miraculous is that according to my friend, her brother, she is a hard sleeper and nothing usually wakes her up. Call it what you will, but that's more than luck.

Also of note, they had a large dog in the house which didn't even rouse at the sound of someone breaking in!

One less set of genes to continue polluting the pool
    +1 Homeowner.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Here's a follow-up article with the 911 call and a video of the homeowner, my friend's dad, recounting the shooting.

Homeowner kills early morning intruder - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach

EXCLUSIVE: Homeowner recounts shooting intruder - CBS Channel 12 News

I'm facebook friends with the girl who made the 911 call and what's miraculous is that according to my friend, her brother, she is a hard sleeper and nothing usually wakes her up. Call it what you will, but that's more than luck.

Also of note, they had a large dog in the house which didn't even rouse at the sound of someone breaking in!
    Yikes...get that dog a new friend...maybe an ankle biter to wake him. Glad everyone is ok though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You never know when it's going to happen. You pray your house won't ever be the target of such a thing, but to think it won't happen to you and to not be prepared for it is just sticking your head in the sand. Thank God, this homeowner was prepared.

Notice how the intruder armed himself with weapons of opportunity after he gained entry into the home. This is very common and I discussed why in another thread recently. See the link below.

Post #49 Thread: Turned Out To Be Nothing, but drew entering my house.

From the news report.

Isn't that always the case. They are always a "good kid" or "just starting to turn their life around." I realize the family of these dirtbags have to say something, but face it, their son was a potential killer. This kid in particular showed no fear, and even advanced on the homeowner armed with kitchen knives he picked up inside the home. This "basically good kid" knew exactly what he was doing. And I have little doubt he would have stabbed or killed the homeowner if that's what it took to get away.

Homeowner was more than justified in shooting. It's a horrible thing to have to do. But the alternatives are... Well, Dr. Petite and his tortured and slain family from Connecticut come to mind.

I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Good job for your friends dad. He did the correct and only thing to do. I hope he has no lasting trauma.
    hey my name is joe wagner im the son of the man who shot and killed fritz. it was a crazy thing to witness and it changed my life for the better actually. and as for my dad he is fine now we dont talk about it much, not that it bothers us, it just doesnt come up. i will answer any questions if you guys want to ask any

Links