BAD: Teen attempts robbery with toy gun

This is a discussion on BAD: Teen attempts robbery with toy gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If there was a way to label this dumb and stupid, I would have. He's lucky that the didn't try this on someone who was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Teen attempts robbery with toy gun

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

If there was a way to label this dumb and stupid, I would have. He's lucky that the didn't try this on someone who was armed.

Teen With Toy Gun Strikes Out With Robberies - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The orange plug at the end must have gave it away.

This 17 year old dirtbag in training should get some vacation time at taxpayers' expense...he's lucky he's not
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How come it works for my homeys,man I knew I shoulda went to school so I could get a GED and run a bank or sumpin
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Yep, some people should be arrested for their own safety.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I just saw a teen movie trailer with this very same gig, but targeting a bank.

Gotta say though the guy in Colorado a few years back that managed to rob a 7-11 with a star trek sword was more successful (even though he was laughed out of 7-11 number two.)

Glock Certified Armorer

Sounds like a good way to get shot to me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Sounds like a good way to get shot to me.
    Ditto!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Actually I'm somewhat surprised... Usually I hear of these dirtbags succeeding when they use toy guns... Glad they did charge him with armed robbery. That way he will never legally own the real thing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Tool

VIP Member
    It amuses me that these DB's are so uneducated that many think that a toy gun will protect them from being prosecuted for armed robbery.

Just a few thoughts. The article wasn't very specific on what kind of "toy" gun this was. I have 2 BB guns that are such perfect replicas that they will fool anyone, even those who are experienced with guns. I had been telling my ex-special-forces friend about them for a while and he wasn't convinced. I kept forgetting to show him one when he was over at my house. Well, recently I had the opportunity and handed him my Walther CP99 without telling him what it was. He held it in his hand and said it was a very nice gun, and asked, "This is 9mm, right?" Then I asked him to pull the slide back and look in the chamber. You should have seen the look on his face. These don't have the orange tip on them, by the way, only the air-soft versions require that. However, you can buy many of these same replicas chambered for airsoft and also for paintball. It is possible to saw the orange tip off of those and even they will fool people.

Of course, it could have been a $2 cap gun from Dollar general also.. So there is just no telling what "toy" gun means without more information.

It amuses me that these DB's are so uneducated that many think that a toy gun will protect them from being prosecuted for armed robbery.
    Also, was he using a toy gun because he thought it would protect him from prosecution, or simply didn't have access to the real thing?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Yep, some people should be arrested for their own safety.
    I prefer someone call them on their stupidity...permanently.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have 2 BB guns that are such perfect replicas that they will fool anyone, even those who are experienced with guns. I had been telling my ex-special-forces friend about them for a while and he wasn't convinced. I kept forgetting to show him one when he was over at my house. Well, recently I had the opportunity and handed him my Walther CP99 without telling him what it was. He held it in his hand and said it was a very nice gun, and asked, "This is 9mm, right?" Then I asked him to pull the slide back and look in the chamber. You should have seen the look on his face. These don't have the orange tip on them, by the way, only the air-soft versions require that. However, you can buy many of these same replicas chambered for airsoft and also for paintball. It is possible to saw the orange tip off of those and even they will fool people.

Also, was he using a toy gun because he thought it would protect him from prosecution, or simply didn't have access to the real thing?
    I agree with regard to the realism of these $30 bb guns. I bought one at Wally World to teach my (11 yr old) grand nephew and his (12 yr) buddy safe gun handling practices in my garage. Did they muzzle themselves and me, you betcha'. Were their fingers on the (unloaded) trigger when they weren't supposed to be, uh huh. But are they safer and better than they were when we first started out, there's no doubt.

The fine, upstanding young man in the story most likely did not have the means, wherewithall or the connection(s) to purchase an illegal gun, so thought he'd give a "toy" a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I agree with regard to the realism of these $30 bb guns. I bought one at Wally World to teach my (11 yr old) grand nephew and his (12 yr) buddy safe gun handling practices in my garage. Did they muzzle themselves and me, you betcha'. Were their fingers on the (unloaded) trigger when they weren't supposed to be, uh huh. But are they safer and better than they were when we first started out, there's no doubt.

The fine, upstanding young man in the story most likely did not have the means, wherewithall or the connection(s) to purchase an illegal gun, so thought he'd give a "toy" a try.
    Most that have any sort of realism when under close-up scrutiny cost at least $80 or so. The only ones I've seen at Wally World are the clear plastic ones.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links