DEBATE: Does Bearing Arms Ward Off Violent Criminals?

This is a discussion on DEBATE: Does Bearing Arms Ward Off Violent Criminals? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gee, I wonder what the consensus would be on this forum. DEBATE: Does Bearing Arms Ward Off Violent Criminals?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DEBATE: Does Bearing Arms Ward Off Violent Criminals?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Gee, I wonder what the consensus would be on this forum.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

It may not ward them off, but they give you a fighting chance if one wanders your way!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'd say that it would freak them out:

second-amendment_bits.jpg
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Some it will. Some it won't.

VIP Member
    If you are asking the general question, does gun ownership ward off crime, or ward off specific crime,
    then one has to compare crime rates in two different states or two different countries, by crime category.

If you are asking does open carry ward off crime, I suspect there are too few open carry folks to know. However, perhaps information can be found on crime rates in AZ v elsewhere.

If you are asking does OC protect the individual, well, we've had reports of OCers being attacked.
    So "ward off" as a magic wand "wards off" doesn't seem to be assured. Common sense suggests it is a deterrent.

CC, again we have to compare crime rates and crime categories in state such as TX and PA with states such as IL and NY. Obviously a BG doesn't know if someone is CC ing and so "ward off" would seem highly improbable on an individual basis, but might be happening across a state's population as a whole.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you are asking the general question, does gun ownership ward off crime, or ward off specific crime,
    then one has to compare crime rates in two different states or two different countries, by crime category.

If you are asking does open carry ward off crime, I suspect there are too few open carry folks to know. However, perhaps information can be found on crime rates in AZ v elsewhere.

If you are asking does OC protect the individual, well, we've had reports of OCers being attacked.
    So "ward off" as a magic wand "wards off" doesn't seem to be assured. Common sense suggests it is a deterrent.

CC, again we have to compare crime rates and crime categories in state such as TX and PA with states such as IL and NY. Obviously a BG doesn't know if someone is CC ing and so "ward off" would seem highly improbable on an individual basis, but might be happening across a state's population as a whole.
    NY, other than the city, isn't a truly valid comparison. There are a "LOT" of people with concealed carry permits in NY. Every one of my family members there has a concealed carry permit. NYC and the immediate area are hard places to get a permit, the rest of New York State, while it's expensive, and time consuming, it's possible to get a permit if you can pass the background check (they "really" do a background check - more than just the phone call).

IL, OTOH, is a very good comparison.

That said, I think this is a very complicated question. The statistics clearly show that armed folks have better outcomes from being assaulted than unarmed folks. I think, but don't have the statistics to prove it, that being armed changes how the person packing carries themselves, and that folks who carry are more likely not to be in condition white when out and about, which may change their "victim profile rating" in the eyes of the potential assailant. I know a female (in NY) that avoided a potentially nasty situation by being aware of her surroundings, which probably happened because she was packing.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Well the muzzle end certainly helps sway most perps' decisions

Uhhh, SHOOTING violent criminals wards them off.

PC

One of the best ways to get an answer is to ask incarcerated thugs with convictions for crimes against persons if an open carried firearm would deter them from attacking the armed person and go locate an easier target.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Voted!

Does Having a Gun in Your Home Protect You From an Intruder?

Yes - They remind potential criminals that victims can fight back. 97.57%

No - I think having a gun in the home presents more danger than protection. 2.43%
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Same as capital punishment. It has to be common enough that there is a significant statistical possibility to merit any judgement before the commission of the crime. If 100% of murderers were sentenced to death, it would be a deterrent. As it is, with .0000001% of murderers actually put to death, it isn't. If 100% of able adults carried, it would be a deterrent. As it is, not enough do in most areas to make it a worth worrying about to most criminals.

Just voted as well. Basically still at 98% to 2%. I would suppose the 2% are very delusional and never seen first hand what a violent criminal is capable of. I pray I never have to pull my gun in a defensive situation.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

RKM
    I would have voted no, reading the question as a literal question, because simply having a gun in your home does NOT protect you from an intruder. But I voted yes because I knew what the question was implying. USE of a firearm, whether that use is simply pointing it at the intruder and they flee, or actually shooting them, will in most cases ward off an intruder. Of course the answer isn't simple yes or no. But in most cases, a firearm at hand will be very helpful.

Having a firearm in the house shouldn't make you feel invincible if that's what it's getting at. Yet, if I didn't have any in my home, I'd feel unprepared and vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It may not ward them off, but they give you a fighting chance if one wanders your way!
    I agree

I wouldn't know the stats on whether or not carrying a weapon wards off violent criminals. I suppose that it would deter some crooks, and maybe it wouldn't for some of the real crazies. Who can say for sure?

The argument is moot as far as I'm concerned. I made the decision to own firearms and to carry one at all times. Whether or not my carrying a gun wards off a criminal intent on doing me or my wife harm depends entirely on how the criminal feels about continuing to live.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links