Bad day in Norway

This is a discussion on Bad day in Norway within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a situation like this that armed citisens will be able to stop and prevent a huge loss of life by some dillusional mass murderer,one ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bad day in Norway

Bad day in Norway

It's a situation like this that armed citisens will be able to stop and prevent a huge loss of life by some dillusional mass murderer,one thing this guy did to add to the destruction was dressing up as an LEO and giving people a sense of being safe until he pulled out some weapons and started shooting.Even on an isolated island where these people felt safe is where this psychopath went knowing there would be a lot of targets for his insanity.
    My prayers go out to the families that this POS destroyed

Norway horror: 80 die in camp shooting, 7 in blast - Yahoo! News
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Terrible stuff

VIP Member
    I was just reading that. The horror still hasn't quite sunk in with me yet.

My son just got back from his first week at camp. I just have to leave these things in the Lord's hands.
    Last edited by WHEC724; July 23rd, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

Not that anyone had the legal means or the will to carry at that camp or anywhere in this country before, but this shooting is definitely going to lead to a massive knee-jerk reaction.

Be glad that you live where you live, a place where your rights actually exist. Carry every day.
    Last edited by joffe; July 23rd, 2011 at 09:16 AM.

Perhaps if someone in that camp had a gun this awful thing would not have happened. In 2009 the Norway gov't passed draconian gun control. Yep, it was the same old promises we've heard for years: You don't need a gun the gov't will protect you.

This is a terrible thing. I have spent alot of time in Onslow and Narvik, beautiful country and people.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I just checked and Norway DOES NOT have the death penalty. Looks like they're gonna be stuck with this guy for a while.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

This reminded me of The Kingdom, similarly the bad guys dressed as LEO and then as EMT to gain the innocent masses' trust only to betray it.
    I'm not sure how delayed the news on AFN has been since the incident, it seems to be interupted a lot with news updates about this, but some of the newscasters and commentators are already talking about how the pro-jihad websites are encouraged by the mentality and methods used.

Note: I am not saying the movie influenced the attacker, nor am I saying he is a jihadist.

I would hope that many people start examining the rationale of gun free zones again. Nothing changed after VT so I wouldn't expect it to change now but after incidents like this force protection deserves a look. Hopefully common sense wins out over knee-jerk but I wouldn't expect that either.

VIP Member
    Sad thing is, is that the camp, on an Island was currently inhabited by teenagers , who had no means to defend themselves.

That island was VERY small, in that the intended victims had, essentially no where to run. Some had jumped in the lake to swim away.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The shooter chose the best time to attack. The citizens have very little gun ownership rights, and it was a major gathering of people where there were no LEOs present from what I can tell.

Not only did the shooter dress up like a cop, the majority of people didn't think rationally. They failed to assess the situation and made it worse. I would never have run to anyone in a shooting situation without knowing what was happening to some extent. I guess that's the following the "be prepared" motto of the Boy Scouts I grew up with.

My father also taught my brother and I to assess situations in case things went bad out in the woods from an early age too. Be aware, and get your game. To be unaware was to not get your game at best, but to accidently harm someone else at worse. To think, I grew up in what was one of the safest nations in the world, and my Father taught me to think first, then act just in case bad things happen. When you hear stories like this, it makes you wonder why more people don't do that.

While I feel sorry for the victims and their families, I wonder if things would have been different here. They weren't with a smaller event in Arizona. Not enough people carry for SD purposes to prevent things like this, and there will never be enough LE presence without causing other issues to stop all events like this.

Most of these kids would have been underage to carry even if Norway had laws allowing it. (which they don't, I checked) but the news article says there were several people in their 20's and 30's.

The really sad part is about stories like this is that they get a lot of media attention. But when a plot like this is stopped before it happens such as with proper intelligence reports, or when it is stopped shortly after the shooting begins by an armed citizen, it gets hardly any attention whatsoever.

I'm curious to see how Norwegians will feel about their gun laws after this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    "A Norwegian newspaper says the suspect in the twin attacks bought about six tonnes of fertilizer about 10 weeks ago. Artificial fertilizer can be used in homemade bombs."

From CBC news.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The news also states that the gunman had a Glock, an AR-15 and a shotgun registered under his name and these were the weapons used during the attack.

There are also reports that a second gunman may have participated and a second suspect was arrested during the Prime Minister's visit to the survivors, since he was carrying a knife in his pocket.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I find it interesting that US gun control nuts are citing this as a reason to take away freedom here. I'm hearing the line "mass shootings happen in the US and no armed person is there to stop them". Of course, they forget that all of these shootings take place in gun-free zones. You can now add this tragedy to that list.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    A typical knee jerk reaction would be to enact a law to reduce magazine capacity...ugh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links