Police Impersonation during a Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Police Impersonation during a Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One man shot, 3 arrested in botched Golden Gate Estates home invasion robbery » Naples Daily News The 69-year-old jumped out of bed, grabbed his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Police Impersonation during a Home Invasion

Police Impersonation during a Home Invasion

One man shot, 3 arrested in botched Golden Gate Estates home invasion robbery » Naples Daily News

The 69-year-old jumped out of bed, grabbed his handgun, and stepped out of his Golden Gate Estates bedroom to find two men holding guns to his wife’s head.

Bracey opened fire, shooting one of the intruders — who was wearing a hat that read “police” — in the shoulder. The would-be-robbers then fled from the home.
    This article along with the Norway attack is scary. Bad Guys are starting to wear police garb. That makes for a tough split-second decision. My hats off to Mr Bracey.

however, I can't help but remember this:
    Police Kill Man In Drug Raid Gone Wrong (VIDEO)
    I don't think Mr Blair knew what was happening.

Both situations considered, If somebody barges into your house yelling POLICE! Do you shoot or not shoot? For me, it's not as black & white as it was last week.

2. Remove Ads

IN Supreme Court says I'm not allowed to defend myself in any way if they identify themselves as police.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    IN Supreme Court says I'm not allowed to defend myself in any way if they identify themselves as police.
    time to move
    pica and atctimmy like this.

I know a lot of people have this fear. And whether or not these types of incidents are on the rise or not, I don't know, but it would seem so. But I have no data to support that one way or another. But still, people are concerned about what to do about the possibility.

I'm not giving advice here, but I would say, if you live your life as a law abiding citizen you have little to worry about regarding the real police kicking in your door with a no knock warrant. I'm not talking about people who may do some fringe activities, or maybe have a problem child who lives in the home which may or may not be under the scrutiny of the police. But if you are a totally "live by the rules, honest to goodness law abiding citizen," you have little to fear of the real police kicking in your door at 2 am. While it does happen from time to time where the police do kick in the wrong door, you should know that it is pretty rare.

Therefore, when it happens, one would be prudent to assume it's criminals posing as the police and act accordingly. The odds are way more in favor of those kicking in your door being criminals posing as cops as there are for the real police kicking in your door by mistake.
    TonyDTrigger likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    time to move
    They made that ruling pretty much as soon as I got unpacked from moving to IN, I'm here to stay for a while; besides I think TN_Mike has "dibbs" on moving out of state first. Other than that though, I've got to say what IN has for actual laws on the books and not legislation from the bench, this out does the Gunshine state and Texas as far as sensible approach to firearms owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I know a lot of people have this fear. And whether or not these types of incidents are on the rise or not, I don't know, but it would seem so. But I have no data to support that one way or another. But still, people are concerned about what to do about the possibility.
    I suspect much has to do with the fact they are more easily reported, with news outlets, cable, print and bloggers alike looking to keep their front page website updated 24/7; and now instead of being buried in a local paper's blotter, they fall into the syndication stream and the google indexing and volia show up on forums.

Friend vs Foe is an important ID to be made, act to quickly and it could be a manslaughter charge that sticks, hesitate too long and it could mean being carried by six; this is the confusion that criminals like to capitalize on; while it is much easier for the good guys to learn we must also remember that the bad guys (collectively) are also getting smarter as well, and this is not altogether a black and white area anymore, as the OP pointed out.

Glock Certified Armorer

There are fake cop home invasions down here on a regular basis,It Is usually thugs targeting other thugs stash houses for large drug shipments or cash.My door gets kicked and they better have real police raid vests and flashing red and blues outside or they will be exiting as fast as they came in with my lead parting gifts
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There are fake cop home invasions down here on a regular basis,It Is usually thugs targeting other thugs stash houses for large drug shipments or cash.My door gets kicked and they better have real police raid vests and flashing red and blues outside or they will be exiting as fast as they came in with my lead parting gifts
    Yeah.. I was going to say something similar. if they have the outfits on, and drove up in police vehicles, I'd give them credit. if they just look like thugs and burst open the door, then I'm going to shoot them. I think the chances of this happening to me is relatively remote, but it is something good to think about before hand.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

It does not matter what they are wearing if they have a gun to my wifes head, I will shoot and we will figure the rest out later.

if you comply when they come in and they are not LE, you have issues

if you do not comply and fight back and they are LE, you have issues

tough situation..... especially for those of us not involved in drugs and other crime and are law abiding. Our mindset is that LE has no reason to come to our homes like that so it must be a home invasion..... however LE can and does make mistakes

Tough situation for sure. I hope I am never in it.

I don't know of ANY LEOs that would hold a person by gunpoint to a head demanding another drop their weapon. Not saying it couldn't happen...but pretty sure that's against protocol.
    Bark'n and Secret Spuk like this.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Tough situation! I think I'm inclined to fall in with "Barkn" and "Dukalmighty". I don't break the law other than maybe an occasional speed limit, and our kids are all grown and gone from home. There would be no reason for a "visit" from LE. I'm afraid if someone kicks in my door...whether they yell "police" or not, they better be wearing kevlar.
    I hope I don't have to make that decision.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    This is why it's always a really good idea to get to INTIMATELY know the uniforms of your local and/or state police and how to identify them clearly as well as the vehicles they drive.

Remember that impersonating an officer is a serious thing and it would be hard to drive around in a truly look-alike car without being noticed, stopped and then in deep doo-doo. I've seen one car that had lights and was painted black and white but was a piece of junk and while I could tell it was not a legitimate police car there are some out there who are ignorant enough to see it pull up to their house and think the real police have arrived. Not to mention the fact that none of the cars around here are black and white but rather variations of blue, brown or white with blue and gold lettering.

Just because someone is wearing a hat that says, "Police" does not make them so (as we all know though some would be fooled by it). Knowing the patches, colors of uniforms, decals, etc that accompany your local officers could save you from either a) shooting someone who shouldn't be shot or b) alert you that something isn't right.

I agree with Lima, it's good to get to know you local LEO's and what uniforms and vehicles they drive.

Frankly I am in a position where I just don't worry about this type of an event. Someone tries to pose as an LEO I will know immediately they are phony.

In my situation, 10 years as a member of the swat team, I believe I would know the difference between the entry tactics of legitimate LEO's vs. imposters.

Secondly, while I'm no longer part of swat, I'm still a full time street medic and I know every LEO in my county personally, including the state troopers who work my county. If it ain't one of them coming through the door, it's game on.

Lastly, the Sheriff, (also a personal friend) has made mention that they wouldn't just break down my door. If I ever "snapped, and went off the deep end, they'd be more inclined to just call me on the phone and ask me to come out nicely, so they don't have to burn me out like Waco."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I don't know...maybe I've been watching too much TV, but it seems, when you see these "no-knock" raids on reality TV or on "Cops" or in the news or even occasionally on you-tube, most of the "para-military" type squads are dressed in all black, wearing masks, without much in the way of insignia. I know I'm a little older than the average bear here, but it used to be when a man wore a mask you could bet he was the bad guy. Maybe some of you that have some "real-world" experience can enlighten me if I'm off base.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Oh no. You mean some people won't be fooled by my CCW badge?

Install security storm doors and reinforced entry door jambs to prevent "no knock" visitations. Call 911 and verify with dispatch before opening the door.

If the police officer speaks with a norwegian accent, give him directions to the nearest Obama youth camp.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links