Attempted poker game robbery goes bad for BGs: NC

This is a discussion on Attempted poker game robbery goes bad for BGs: NC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Still being investigated and no comment whether any of the players were CCW. Suspected robbers shot at high-stakes Raleigh poker game Raleigh, N.C. Two ...

Thread: Attempted poker game robbery goes bad for BGs: NC

VIP Member

Attempted poker game robbery goes bad for BGs: NC

Still being investigated and no comment whether any of the players were CCW.

Suspected robbers shot at high-stakes Raleigh poker game

Raleigh, N.C. Two men who police believe were trying to rob people at a high-stakes poker game in Raleigh late Monday were shot during a struggle, and one died, police said Tuesday.

Officers responding to a reported robbery at 4809 Sweetbriar Drive, off East Millbrook Road, shortly after 11 p.m. found Brandon Dwain Shelton, 28, dead inside the house, and Brian Matthew Onley, 23, lying on the lawn with a gunshot wound in the arm.

Witnesses told investigators that two men burst into the home wearing masks and carrying guns in an attempt to rob several poker players. A struggle ensued, and the two intruders were shot, police said.

"Both of them had hoods on and ski masks on," a man who called 911 told a dispatcher. "(One) was shot with his own gun."

Neighbors said the homeowner, Gregg Maluchnik, frequently hosted poker games and that Monday night's game was advertised as high-stakes.

Maluchnik played baseball at Duke University and was drafted by the Atlanta Braves in 1998.

Raleigh police said they haven't been called to the home previously, and neighbors said the poker games usually were quiet affairs that drew crowds but never caused any problems.

"I have seen a number of cars, like something was going on," neighbor Jim Durnin said, adding that he thought it was an occasional Tupperware party.

Neighbor Caren Freundlich said she heard as many as five gunshots late Monday.
    Suspected robbers shot at high-stakes Raleigh poker game :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Tupperwear party!!!??? My gawd Mr. Durnin

"Both of them had hoods on and ski masks on," a man who called 911 told a dispatcher. "(One) was shot with his own gun."

Suspected robbers shot at high-stakes Raleigh poker game :: WRAL.com

At least we won't be paying to house one of the dirt-bags. On a side note, person getting shot with his own gun reinforces the notion that retention is an absolute must.

Something tells me this will end up ugly for everyone involved, as playing poKer for stakes is illegal under NC law - there is no exemption for games among friends, etc.

If a prosecutor wants to, he can make life a hell for everyone there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Something tells me this will end up ugly for everyone involved, as playing poKer for stakes is illegal under NC law - there is no exemption for games among friends, etc.

If a prosecutor wants to, he can make life a hell for everyone there.
    After all the meaningless babble about some sports gang WRAL did squeeze in that the homeowner has been charged with running an illegal gambling operation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sounds almost like something from a movie, but I suppose the motive would be clear enough. I remember a trip to Atlantic City. I walked passed some of the high roller tables. Minimums were around $5k.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Pretty silly when a man cannot play a mutual game among friends. Who said politicians think before passing laws, eh?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Recently in Costa Rica, a pair of armed robbers wearing ski masks attempted to carjack a homeowner right on the driveway of his home as he was exiting the garage. Nonetheless, they chose their victim poorly, since the guy was a Master IDPA shooter and was carrying a S&W 1911. The police arrived later to find both robbers lying dead just outside the man's home in the street with 2 shots each on the chest. Karma huh?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Links