AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood - Page 2

AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood

This is a discussion on AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by limatunes Thank you, dukalmighty, for getting back on topic! That being said, this thread is not about the draft. This is about ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Thank you, dukalmighty, for getting back on topic!

That being said, this thread is not about the draft. This is about a Soldier who is arrested for possibly plotting a terrorist attack and going AWOL (or at least I hope those charges were thrown in there).

Let's keep it on that subject.
    Peace...

I wonder the same thing. We have all these men and women that walk around with absolutely no form of protection.

Also, we see time and time again that these terrorists are Muslims. Why can't these politically correct people see that profiling is a valuable asset.
    "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims" I realize this is a generality. And I am by no means racist towards any group.
    But if time and time again we are attacked by a certain group of people.... when do we start taking extra caution with said group? Or do we just turn a blind eye for the sake of "not offending anyone"? What happens when that person you didn't want to offend blows up a school? Would that offense have been justified?
    Simple questions like these....I would love to ask Mr. O.

PS: My opinions are not meant to offend anyone, I know a few Muslim people and they are good people. All men were created equal.
    limatunes likes this.

sorry didn't see the get it back on topic post...
    deleting my own post...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I wonder the same thing. We have all these men and women that walk around with absolutely no form of protection.

Also, we see time and time again that these terrorists are Muslims. Why can't these politically correct people see that profiling is a valuable asset.
    "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims" I realize this is a generality. And I am by no means racist towards any group.
    But if time and time again we are attacked by a certain group of people.... when do we start taking extra caution with said group? Or do we just turn a blind eye for the sake of "not offending anyone"? What happens when that person you didn't want to offend blows up a school? Would that offense have been justified?
    Simple questions like these....I would love to ask Mr. O.

PS: My opinions are not meant to offend anyone, I know a few Muslim people and they are good people. All men were created equal.
    How about all terrorists are extemists with views far outside the norm who are willing to sacrifice their lives for their cause?
    I think that might be a bit more accurate. Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh weren't Muslim. Even the 9/11 hijackers weren't devout Muslims. By all accounts, they spent the evenings prior to the attack hanging out in strip clubs. They were, however, extremists with views outside the norm.

VIP Member
    Hopefully still on topic, when I read the list of things allegedly found, I wondered (and still do wonder) why
    those items indicated an arrest was needed? Gunpowder; plenty here reload (I know he bought 6 pounds, but by itself is OK I think). Shotgun shells? duh, big deal. A handgun? Again, duh big deal.

I guess I understand why the store owner called authorities, and I suppose we really do not know the full extent of what was found in the house, but the basic list is not really all that indicative (by itself) of someone up to bad things. It is stuff many of us would have if we reload, keep ammo on hand, etc. etc.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    The six pounds of gunpowder would make me suspicious also since he did not purchase any other components such as primers or bullets for reloading. Granted many here that reload frequently buy bulk bullets online to get better prices but we buy powder and primers locally to avoid the HAZMAT shipping charge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsor
    Hopyard,

I'd bet it actually had more to do with his actions or questions (I think I read that he was asking questions not related to reloading, or was that another posters comment?) than with what he bought. Not to mention that this was the same gun shop that was involved with selling the original Ft. Hood shooter some equipment. They are probably a bit on the paranoid/cya side.
    garyacman likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Hopyard,

I'd bet it actually had more to do with his actions or questions (I think I read that he was asking questions not related to reloading, or was that another posters comment?) than with what he bought. Not to mention that this was the same gun shop that was involved with selling the original Ft. Hood shooter some equipment. They are probably a bit on the paranoid/cya side.
    The store owner's actions made sense. I don't question that at all. What I find concerning is that he is accused of having "bomb making" materials (gunpowder) and was said to be additionally suspicious because he
    had shotgun shells, a handgun and some ammo? By themselves----and absent other stuff we probably don't know about--- this guy could be many people who post here (not me btw as I don't reload) but I'm trying to make a point about the situation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sponsor
    It's the "stuff we ... don't know about" that makes all the difference. I'm sure that I have purchased sufficient quantities of smokeless powder to raise eyebrows. If the police ever show up at my door to ask about it I will happily show them my reloading bench and powder magazine. Then thank them for their commitment to public safety. But, since I buy my powder from the same supplier every time, there is probably not much chance of that ever happening.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    It's the "stuff we ... don't know about" that makes all the difference. I'm sure that I have purchased sufficient quantities of smokeless powder to raise eyebrows. If the police ever show up at my door to ask about it I will happily show them my reloading bench and powder magazine. Then thank them for their commitment to public safety. But, since I buy my powder from the same supplier every time, there is probably not much chance of that ever happening.
    Yes, I understand that, but labeling smokeless powder "bomb making materials" is troublesome. How many on here could be similarly accused? The newspapers would blare a headline, "Gun nut found with bomb making materials." Then the story would continue that in addition to smokeless powder, authorities found "a propane tank" (backyard grill), detonators (primers), and electronic devices which could be used for remotely setting off a bomb (cell phone).

Glad they got the guy, hope his confession is real, but I'm uneasy about the way part of the story is being presented in print as it could apply to many here.
    Andrew Jackson

The news is reporting this guy wasn't actually targeting the base directly, but an off base restaurant that was reportedly popular with base personnel. I can only imagine the horror that could've happened. At least if he tried going on base, he had a chance of getting caught with the explosives. This guy may not have known what smokeless powder actually meant, but clearly, he wasn't stupid.

The most concerning thing about this is if there's this guy, how many more are out there? We can't even start profiling religious people either, because I'm sure there are plenty of people who keep their faith and extreme political views a secret, at least around "the enemy."

He probably would have had a hard time getting on base to begin with since he was already reported as AWOL from the July 4th weekend.

What really annoys me is how he used his religion to claim he was a conscientious objector.

Sponsor
    I doubt, very seriously that the gate guards at Ft. Hood would have a list of AWOL soldiers from the entire country committed to memory. They would have checked his ID and waved him through. Unless he had the unfortunate(or fortunate for everyone else) luck to be late to a formation. Then he would have been "randomly" selected for vehicle inspection!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Alot of Military Bases Use the CAC scanners these days. I'm don't know if Ft. Hood uses them but that could be a reason why he targeted an establishment off post.

Fort Hood isn't on with the scanning system you mention, unless they've upgraded since I deployed. They do have one for their express lanes but the guard doesn't handle your ID. It'd be easier to go through the regular lines during peak hours and just pray you aren't picked for a random inspection.

Was it the Guns Galore guys again? I'm glad they did the right thing but it sucks trouble keeps knocking on their door. Really nice guys. I definitely need to buy something from them when I get home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links