AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood

This is a discussion on AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another Muslim US Solder arrested for plotting another attack on Ft Hood. At least one U.S. military serviceman has been arrested in connection with an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood

Another Muslim US Solder arrested for plotting another attack on Ft Hood.

At least one U.S. military serviceman has been arrested in connection with an alleged plot to attack Fort Hood nearly two years after a deadly shooting rampage at the base, Fox News has learned exclusively.

Pvt. Naser Jason Abdo, an AWOL soldier from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was arrested by the Killeen Police Department near Fort Hood and remains in custody there.

Abdo, 21, was found with weapons, explosives and jihadist materials at the time of his arrest, a senior Army source confirms to Fox News. He was arrested at around 2 p.m. Wednesday after someone called authorities to report a suspicious individual.

Eric Vasys, a spokesman with the FBI's San Antonio Office, said authorities found firearms and bomb making components, which he described as smokeless gun powder, inside Abdo's motel room.......................................

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: AWOL Soldier Arrested Over Concerns of Second Alleged Plot to Attack Fort Hood - FoxNews.com
    John Luttrell

Personally, I think they should reinstate the draft. When you have an all volunteer military, you have too many people volunteering because they have an agenda other than serving this country. Because of the need for people in uniform, they are accepted when they otherwise would be rejected.

I served 24 years with an all volunteer force, a few of which decided they were not happy with their decision to serve and based on my experience with those folks, I'd want nothing to do with service members drafted against their will; one of the main reasons we have such a superior military force, is the fact that they are serving because it is their choice to serve.
    John Luttrell

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Because of the need for people in uniform, they are accepted when they otherwise would be rejected.
    That's not necessarily true. Right now, because of the economy, the military in general is FLOODED with potential applicants and recruits and enlistment processes are tighter than ever.

While I was joining the Marine Corps last year there were people being turned down for not making over 50 on the ASVAB though the "official" minimum score for the Marine Corps is actually in the 20s. People were being turned down for having tattoos and one gal was turned away because she was shy. They have tightened up enlistments tighter than a drum. They are turning down waivers or not offering them anymore and just making it harder to join.

Also, the Marine Corps new policy is that no one will ship to Boot Camp without being able to pass THREE separate ISTs within 30 days of shipping. If you can't pass, you don't ship. It used to be you shipped and they put you into a training platoon until you could pass. Now, because of the demand for Drill Instructors for full platoons they can't spare the time or personnel to train people who aren't fit enough. If you can't do it within a year of taking your oath you are discharged.. that simple.

They are being very very picky right now and they can afford to be so.

That being said, some slip through the cracks. Perhaps they joined with good intentions but changed their mind or were "converted."

Personally, I prefer a volunteer service.. people who don't have a choice are careless and don't do the job they should.

That being said, I'm glad they caught this guy. I also find it interesting that it was the gun stores he was frequenting that turned him in.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    I served 24 years with an all volunteer force, a few of which decided they were not happy with their decision to serve and based on my experience with those folks, I'd want nothing to do with service members drafted against their will; one of the main reasons we have such a superior military force, is the fact that they are serving because it is their choice to serve.

66% of our soldiers during WWII were drafted, my father being one of them. I personally can't think of a more superior military force. You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion.

Personally, I think they should reinstate the draft. When you have an all volunteer military, you have too many people volunteering because they have an agenda other than serving this country. Because of the need for people in uniform, they are accepted when they otherwise would be rejected.
    This coming from a man who uses things like dursban instead of synthetic pyrethroids? lol

The military is right now downsizing everything and making requirements much stricter because. We want a professional force, not people dragged into unwinnable wars agianst their will. Remember the last time decades ago? People will riot if their sons, boyfriends, and husbands get killed without their personal say in things.

66% of our soldiers during WWII were drafted, my father being one of them. I personally can't think of a more superior military force. You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion.
    And how many of them died? This is a new world and generation now. Total war won't exist with nuclear weapons flying around and that war saw a ridiculous amount of casualties. Plus, do you honestly expect the kids of today with their modern influences to be anywhere near people of the 1940s? They may be the greatest generation worthy of greatest respect, but nobody calls them the most professional force. It's their sacrifice we remember.

Distinguished Member
    I have to agree with John.

This is true of every industry I have worked in. If the person doesn't want to be there, they will not take it seriously, and they will be detrimental to the task at hand. And when the task is keeping others alive, that is a dangerous risk to take.

I feel that your WWII analogy is a little off. This is due in no small part tot the times we live in, and the conflicts we are operating in. A man will not fight as hard for a cause he doesn't believe in. In WWII, where out allied were being overwhelmed, and the possibility of an eventual invasion of U.S. soil was very real, the soldier had a vested interest in winning. That is simply not the case today.

For the sake of keeping this thread from becoming political, I'll just say that I don't believe a draft would be beneficial to the armed forces in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbowlcut View Post
    This coming from a man who uses things like dursban instead of synthetic pyrethroids? lol

The military is right now downsizing everything and making requirements much stricter because. We want a professional force, not people dragged into unwinnable wars agianst their will. Remember the last time decades ago? People will riot if their sons, boyfriends, and husbands get killed without their personal say in things.

And how many of them died? This is a new world and generation now. Total war won't exist with nuclear weapons flying around and that war saw a ridiculous amount of casualties. Plus, do you honestly expect the kids of today with their modern influences to be anywhere near people of the 1940s? They may be the greatest generation worthy of greatest respect, but nobody calls them the most professional force. It's their sacrifice we remember.
    Look around. The wars being fought today, right now, aren't being fought with nuclear weapons. It's the same old damned pounding it out on the ground getting your ass shot off that it has always been..

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I have to agree with John.

This is true of every industry I have worked in. If the person doesn't want to be there, they will not take it seriously, and they will be detrimental to the task at hand. And when the task is keeping others alive, that is a dangerous risk to take.

I feel that your WWII analogy is a little off. This is due in no small part tot the times we live in, and the conflicts we are operating in. A man will not fight as hard for a cause he doesn't believe in. In WWII, where out allied were being overwhelmed, and the possibility of an eventual invasion of U.S. soil was very real, the soldier had a vested interest in winning. That is simply not the case today.

For the sake of keeping this thread from becoming political, I'll just say that I don't believe a draft would be beneficial to the armed forces in the current climate.
    Whether you are a volunteer or you were drafted, when the rounds are incoming, you experience exactly the same feelings. Just trust me on that.
    GhostRed7 likes this.

OK..to ratchet down the rhetoric a bit, I served with people who were drafted and they performed just fine. I think that when you are getting shot at, your personal feelings on whether or not you agree with that particular conflict fall by the wayside. I think that there's a desire for survival that supersedes everything else. Nuclear weapons are great, but the guys who took down the World Trade Center used boxcutters. There are no clean wars.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Every occupation and organization has the good,bad,and ugly.Doctor,dentist,cop,fire fighter,preacher,military,etc.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

But think about it, most of those guys would have joined up anyway. We had a worldwide war back then that threatened everyone. Today politics is intertwined with everything. Should we be in Iraq or not, should we be in Libya or not etc. In WWII we had the Nazis and the Japs to fight against. The Nazis were bad, period. The Japs attacked us without provocation, they were bad, period. There was little to no politics for the average person. There were bad men in the world who needed taking care of, and that was what you average person knew. There's also the fact that those were wars against countries. These days it's seen as wars against people. The enemy isn't as clear anymore.

A draft today doesn't compare to a draft in WWII. Just look at how well it worked out in Korea and Vietnam, then think about how much worse it'd be today.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The main thing that tipped the gun store owner off was the guy bought 6 pounds of smokeless gun powder and was asking questions about it that indicated he knew nothing about the product,IOW people reloading would more than likely ask is this a good powder for loading X cartridge or is there a better one.
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Thank you, dukalmighty, for getting back on topic!

That being said, this thread is not about the draft. This is about a Soldier who is arrested for possibly plotting a terrorist attack and going AWOL (or at least I hope those charges were thrown in there).

Let's keep it on that subject.

Distinguished Member
    Guess we all just get sucked in sometimes!

So, on topic, how many times is it going to take for the powers that be to understand that just like the rest of us, unarmed soldiers are just targets?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links