Good: Attempted robbery of a vacationing NYPD Det. - Page 2

Good: Attempted robbery of a vacationing NYPD Det.

This is a discussion on Good: Attempted robbery of a vacationing NYPD Det. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SpencerB What if you are in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban and one of them kills your buddy, then you shoot him but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Good: Attempted robbery of a vacationing NYPD Det.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    What if you are in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban and one of them kills your buddy, then you shoot him but don't kill him. You are obligated to give him medical treatment. In my opinion I would rather be looking at a dead terrorist that can never harm one of my brothers ever again then think after we patch him up he might end up back on this mountain trying to kill more Americans.
    Are you seriously obligated to give medical attention to the enemy? Please tell me you're not serious about that! Do you think they would do the same for us? And wouldn't that be considered aiding the enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Nonsense he would just have to conform to what we mortals do and get a FL CCW
    Sorry that you feel that way, pal. Why would someone on a pro-carry forum want to make it difficult for LEOs to carry across state liines? Sounds like sour apples to me.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Sorry that you feel that way, pal. Why would someone on a pro-carry forum want to make it difficult for LEOs to carry across state liines? Sounds like sour apples to me.
    Perhaps it's not that we want it to be difficult for LEO's as we want it to be the SAME for everyone. Why should LEO's be allowed easier access to weapons to protect themselves and their families while on vacation? Are their lives worth more than mine? The double standard being implied here is wrong. LEO's have a tough job and I respect them for it but that does not make them any better than or afford them more rights than me.

David

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    What if you are in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban and one of them kills your buddy, then you shoot him but don't kill him. You are obligated to give him medical treatment. In my opinion I would rather be looking at a dead terrorist that can never harm one of my brothers ever again then think after we patch him up he might end up back on this mountain trying to kill more Americans.
    Are you talking about murder? Walking up to a wounded combatant and finishing him off?

I understand the logic, and I'm not necessarily inclined to disagree with it, but rules be rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    Are you seriously obligated to give medical attention to the enemy? Please tell me you're not serious about that! Do you think they would do the same for us? And wouldn't that be considered aiding the enemy?
    It's one of the principles in the laws of war.

Are you that naive? The enemy isn't playing by a rule book. Of course they wouldn't do the same for us.

I missed the part about onea the perps showing up with gunshot wounds,I am glad the LEO was able to put the hurt on the attackers and wish he would have come out unscathed.
    The problem with this Country is our Prisons are full of repeat violent felons.I'm not talking about guys doing time for felony drugs,I'm talking about rapists armed robbers murderers,Nobody should have an extensive rap sheet,they should get at the most 3 violent felonies and then they get put out permanently,and if they all happen during one incident tough doodoo.I will be willing to bet there wouldn't be any prison overcrowding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    Yes. We are obligated to give them medical treatment...this is what makes us better than them. U.S. Laws of Armed Conflict dictate treatment of prisoners (guided by the Geneva Conventions)

No...I don't expect them to do the same for us.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Dude, are these comments completely necessary? Whenever someone posts an article about a gang banger or somebody of less than questionable character getting shot, you rejoice. Yeah, they've done some bad things, but killing humans is a serious act no matter the circumstances.

I guess it's all fun and games on the internet.
    Reading about the demise of dirtbags brings me great joy.
    SpencerB likes this.

It's too bad we follow some of the provisions of the Geneva Convention. Some things outlined in it are relevant, but many things are not. Winning requires the ability to do whatever it takes to survive. The last nation standing rights the history books after all. It's certain provisions within that document that require us to use less effective ammunition for the primary weapons for our soldiers after all. We use better (more effective) ammunition for SD and hunting in this nation every day of every year, and have been for many years now.

I think many Americans have lost sight of what it takes to keep our freedom. That fact will get us killed as a nation at some point.

As far as career filth being killed in the commission of a crime, I too like hearing those stories. Why? The first of the two juries I sat on I gave some scumbag his 27th felony conviction after he tried to kill a man by stabbing him to death. I had to settle for the lesser charge because some of the other jurors felt sorry for the guy because he had a "disability" that he used to garner sympathy. How we can tolerate career filth in this nation who live on the law abiding peoples' dime is beyond me. We should have set limit and you're force fed a lead diet policy after you hit that level. The money this nation as a whole would save is tremendous.

My second trial was a civil one, where a family had a history of scamming other people and getting money/property. Criminals yet again. I can't stand people like that. They spend more time thinking of ways to cheat people when they could just work an honest job and live an honest life.

I work hard to have what I have, and I take pride in that fact. That's the way my parents taught my brother and I to live. That's how they were taught to live. That's the lifestyle that is losing ground in this nation, and that is a damn shame.
    sigmanluke and oneshot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dgraing View Post
    Perhaps it's not that we want it to be difficult for LEO's as we want it to be the SAME for everyone. Why should LEO's be allowed easier access to weapons to protect themselves and their families while on vacation? Are their lives worth more than mine? The double standard being implied here is wrong. LEO's have a tough job and I respect them for it but that does not make them any better than or afford them more rights than me.

David
    I'm Pro2A. I never said that it shouldn't be easy for the armed citizen to carry in other states. I merely pointed out that had Bush not signed HR218 that Det would not have been able to defend himself. But that seemed to get bbqs panties in a bunch.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

David

Well...

Because Police officers, corrections officer, parole/probation officers and some federal agents are more likely to run into someone who wants to do them harm. During an officers career they may take a life or cause a prison sentence, and may more likely be a victim of revenge. The same reason police carry firearms off duty. How do I know?... It happened to me.

Spuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Well...

Because Police officers, corrections officer, parole/probation officers and some federal agents are more likely to run into someone who wants to do them harm. During an officers career they may take a life or cause a prison sentence, and may more likely be a victim of revenge. The same reason police carry firearms off duty. How do I know?... It happened to me.

Spuk!
    ...to add...these same criminals walk the same streets the rest of us do...so I think your point is moot...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

David
    NY 27, David's interpritation is correct. In regards to your original comment:
    Good thing that Bush signed HR218 in 2004 or that Det would have had to go unarmed to Florida.
    and my reply
    Nonsense he would just have to conform to what we mortals do and get a FL CCW
    There is no hidden meaning in my comment simply, your comment is not accurate and honestly has elitist over tones, your follow-up reads just as elitist. That said God bless those who chose to work in law enforcement, God bless us all.

Chas.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Cold Shot,

You of course are entitled to your opinions.

I have no sympathy for those who choose to make their living as criminals making honest law abiding citizens their prey.

This time they picked the wrong target.

Both of these individuals have long criminal histories to include homicide.

Look at some of the comments written by the readers of the posted article.

Would you have the same compasion for these two if it was a loved one of yours they chose to victimize?

They live their lives to make victims of others.

Now honest people will have to pay for these two cruds room and board, trials and appeals.

Some of us are fed up with doing this over and over again. I am in complete agreement with retsupt99 comments.

OS

Two Men Charged In Shooting Of Detective - PoliceLink

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm in this camp on this one!

And behind ret 100%.

Knuckledraggers suck.

They CHOOSE to prey on the unsuspecting, the weak, the old and the young.
    When they die at the hands of an honest citizen, I believe it is THEY who chose their own destiny, much the same as everyone who leads an honest and decent life.

They should garner NO sympathy from anyone.
    Society did not force them to behave in such a mannner.

Ret is not rejoicing in the fact that they are dead, he is merely stating that its good that society will no longer be subjected to the actions of an uncivil thug, who neither cares whether you lived or died,only that they did not have to work hard for what the took from others.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I'm Pro2A. I never said that it shouldn't be easy for the armed citizen to carry in other states. I merely pointed out that had Bush not signed HR218 that Det would not have been able to defend himself. But that seemed to get bbqs panties in a bunch.
    Oh and then I finish reading the thread (what an immature comment, "panties in a bunch") and confirm you are an elitist; and you can't stand being wrong and still argue from an incorrect stance The detective could still carry in FL regardless of HR218 he would simply have to take the additional steps that the rest of the nation is compelled to take. Why the all the anger pal, just accept that your original statement is flawed.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links